Hamer Fan Club Message Center

'64 Gibson SG Reissue, Anyone?

velorush

Every day my ignorance astounds me: I just discovered an SG model that might be one I could live with, the Custom Shop '64 Reissue is supposed to have a (get this) beefy neck!

Survey of those in the wild seem to show thickness measurements at the first fret of 0.87" to 0.89" - well that's right up my alley!  If I could find one that didn't have neck dive (and maybe that's too much to ask), I believe I'd have to bite!

Anyone play one / have one?  I'd be interested in any thoughts or comments.  I would much prefer a stop-tail version over what seems to be more ubiquitous vibrato version. 

The aesthetics are IMO just right.

1964-gibson-1964-sg-standard-rei-true-hi

My buddy has one... cool axe...    I like the bevels of the body and pickguard... the bigger neck

and the more nicely cut nut and action...     I don't like the trem versions...  not that they

didn't look cool as hell... I just don't like how they anchor the strings, seems like it affects

tone...      

Those look great, though most SGs seem to have beefy necks, at least to me.  Maybe not baseball bat but close.

Looking at that SG, my only real concern is that neck joint. I've never liked those. I'd much rather have the later 60's neck joint.

I found there's a Wildwood spec '64 Reissue (sans vibrato).  Very spendy ($5 grand for an SG is pretty spendy), but looks like a really well-done instrument.

000372_f.jpg000372_bf.jpg

I don't think it wise for me to sink that kind of money into any guitar, but a used one seems like a pretty good value proposition. 

And they sell so infrequently I'll likely be onto something else the next time one comes up for sale!  🤣

Yeah. $5k would be nuts.   I would keep an eye on Dave’s site. Seems like they get really clean custom shop stuff.      I’m almost wondering if they sometimes sell new guitars that are being sold as used to avoid the minimum advertised sale guidelines. 

For what it's worth, my MIJ Crews SG-02 has a big neck that  doesn't wobble, is precisely made to vintage specs and can be had around a thousand bucks. It's better than any Gibson SG I've tried, if you're not set on the brand.

3 hours ago, polara said:

For what it's worth, my MIJ Crews SG-02 has a big neck that  doesn't wobble, is precisely made to vintage specs and can be had around a thousand bucks. It's better than any Gibson SG I've tried, if you're not set on the brand.

Absolutely not set on brand.  I've had Gibsons all along and have two now that I really, really like, but I'm fine with the produce of Nippon.  I'll check them out.  Thanks.

The '64 Reissue just seemed to me to be a more or less sure thing; it's a Custom Shop, after all.  Now that I have a former CS craftsman giving me a heads-up, I'll be a bit more cautious in my assumptions!  Thanks, also!

I love the "LOOK" of those guitars ,I recently played a "Historic" that had a big neck profile and it played really nice ,price? just over 3K. I love Telecasters also to "LOOK "at ...................... but like the SG I just can't bond with them as playable instruments.

3 minutes ago, ARM OF HAMER said:

I love the "LOOK" of those guitars ,I recently played a "Historic" that had a big neck profile and it played really nice ,price? just over 3K. I love Telecasters also to "LOOK "at ...................... but like the SG I just can't bond with them as playable instruments.

The SG and Tele take time to get used to them.  After not playing an SG for years they got to feeling really weird.  Had my SG stayed as my main, or only, guitar it would have felt normal. 

Not a really a close relative but  back in the early 1970s I had several SG "Doublenecks" [ 6 and 12 ] and I liked them quite well and had them for quite some time. Had a beautiful white SG Custom also but that was short lived in ownership. Me back in the day with my first "DOUBLE". 2Ofzkjx.jpg

I keep HOPING that what Fender has done with their "Mod Shop" may catch on elsewhere. Sure it's a lot easier to streamline a bolt on neck design, but for an additional $200 bucks over the usual price, you can choose your neck profile, and even get a reverse headstock on a Jazzmaster.  They even let you choose the 2 point or synchronized tremolo on the Strats.

Imagine being able to order a Gibson SG standard, and for $200 more be able to customize the neck profile and color, instead of sinking a ton into a reissue.

Archived