Hamer Fan Club Message Center

96 Standard pickup swap question

SavageGuitars

Question

11 answers to this question

I had a 97 hog standard just like that years ago. Tried a few different pickups in there. It loved PAF style pickups and a Duncan Custom/Custom slayed in the bridge as well. 

Agreed that it won’t change the value if you keep the originals. 

Personally, if I were going to do a humbucker sized P90, I’d have @JGravelinwind one for me. I think that P90’s in a giant mahogany bod would kill and Josh’s P90’s have a stellar reputation. I’m going to have him wind me one soon. 

Yeah, the jazz is a great neck pickup. Super articulate. Personally not my favorite as I prefer a bit more warmth, but it’s solid. Covers a ton of ground. The Duncan Full Shred reminds me of a Jazz on steroids. 

If I were to have my ‘97 hog standard back again, after all the pickup swaps I did in that thing, here’s what I would go with...

A2 hot PAF in the bridge and a humbucker sized P90 in the neck. I would have @JGravelinwind me that set personally. 

A '96 Standard would have been stock with a JB and a 59'er, not a Jazz (assuming original spec).

I’ve found that I “liked” the 59 in the neck but it was a bit “woofy”  for me. Josh rewound a 59 for me and put an A4 mag in it, kept all the clarity, lost the woofiness and ended up with a phenomenal neck pickup (smooth, clean and articulate but still pretty warm). If I was going to go with a humbucker, I’d have him do that for me again.  But I really like your idea of a P90 in that standard,..

Go and have a set P90s wound by @JGravelin. It would even increase the resale value over here.

I have P90 pickups in mine. It sounds wonderful.

Alternatively, choose @cmatthes’ recommendation. And go on from there, if you still don’t like it.

17 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Are you sure about that?  We a known for being cheap around here.  :)

Sometimes it is better to stay quiet. B) 

Archived