Hamer Fan Club Message Center

TDC: Tim Bogert, 76, Cancer

Guy was a monster bassist, quite a good singer too evidenced from his Beck, Bogert & Appice days (even sang a bit in Vanilla Fudge IIRC).

RIP Mr. Bogert - you made the musical world a better place while you were in it...

1968: Fender P-Bass w/ Telecaster Bass neck, Fender amps, and a Mosrite FUZZrite in between.

LO-121 Tim Bogert Fuzzrite.jpg

His solo on the live "Break Song" on Near the Beginning was one for the ages.

He also ripped it up on a performance of "Shotgun" on the 2 FEB 69 edition of The Ed Sullivan Show. I was a huge fan back then, and hadn't known they were going to be on the show; had never heard their rendition of "Shotgun" (the release of the album on which it appeared was pending) so I was transfixed by the presentation. There are some youtube videos of that performance; make sure you view the longer/complete version that has Bogert's solo.

He was an incredible innovator on bass.

I just recalled this anecdote and it needs to be told separately instead as an addendum to a previous post:

I'd interviewed Bogert in mid-'93, and he later consented to putting in an appearance at the Vintage Guitar Magazine  booth at a Pomona guitar show. He was friendly, conversational and didn't act like a rock star or moody musician.

LO-Tim Bogert Pomona.jpg

One of the attendees exuberantly told Bogert: "I used to listen to your stuff when I was in 'Nam!"

Whereupon Bogert flashed a thumbs-up, smiled and said "Glad you made it back!"

That was an early "Thank you for your service"-type of remark, and was a classy move on Bogert's part. FWMOW

Archived