Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Standard restore or not

VECTOR

Hi HFCers

I've got a 82 Standard with a black top. The pre-owner told me, it was painted by a regional luthier in the 90s to "beautify" the guitar. The Writer of THE BOOK told me, this Guitar left the factory in a sunburst color (thanks again) . Here is my Question: Shall I

1. Keep her in black (with its own history and mojo) or

2. Try a refinish/ retopping by a luthier or

3. Try a complete restore.

Thanks!

20210117_185005.jpg

Keep it black and play it hard. Don’t worry about babying it since it’s a re-fin. You won’t increase its value by much if any. Definitely not enough to get your money back out of it. 

If the black refin was a good job, leave that guitar alone.  Just play it. 

The cost of retopping and refinishing is not going to have any financial return.  You only do that if you are never going to sell a guitar.  A lot of "keepers" get sold eventually. 

Your Standard looks like a veteran of 1000 shows.  Keep it that way. 

I’d keep it like that.

I would keep it like that.  Are there any chips that show that the original veneer is still intact under the black paint? I'd say keep rocking it and watch it turn into Gilmour's black strat as the black wears away.

That guitar looks real, people pay shit tons to relic guitars and they always look like plastic. This looks authentic. I bet you were drawn in by the color and loved how it played.

Point 2 (was there a point 1?LOL), Good conversation starter with Lita Ford :)

I own a factory refin 4 digit, retopped rosewood with dots.  I am going against conventional wisdom but I am going to have the fingerboard removed and replaced with a bound and crowned board and I am seriously considering going all out with an ebony board as well. 

Here's my logic, the guitar will never have the value of an all original  and most of the devaluation happened during the retop/refin anyway, so I may as well have it the way that makes me the happiest. 

Flame away. 

If the finish looks like a pro job I'd keep it. If it looks and feels dodgy then I would seriously consider a re-fin. If the guitar is a keeper that is. 

11 hours ago, 79Sunburst said:

I own a factory refin 4 digit, retopped rosewood with dots.  I am going against conventional wisdom but I am going to have the fingerboard removed and replaced with a bound and crowned board and I am seriously considering going all out with an ebony board as well. 

Here's my logic, the guitar will never have the value of an all original  and most of the devaluation happened during the retop/refin anyway, so I may as well have it the way that makes me the happiest. 

Flame away. 

Not a flame, but it will cost you $600-$750 to get that done properly, and at that point, you’ll potentially have close to 2-3x what a reworked Standard should/will likely sell for.   Great if you’re keeping it forever, but if you’re not, I’d sell it.

Just now, cmatthes said:

Not a flame, but it will cost you $600-$750 to get that done properly, and at that point, you’ll potentially have close to 2-3x what a reworked Standard should/will likely sell for.   Great if you’re keeping it forever, but if you’re not, I’d sell it.

Yep. That's why I listed it today. 

Archived