Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Battery changing day

Armitage

2 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

5. Squirrels suck.

Years ago a couple bought a house in our small subdivision on the edge of our small town.  Later in the week we heard shotgun fire one afternoon.  It was the new guy blasting squirrels in the trees in his backyard.  Yes, I live in the sticks and yes, everyone has guns and knows how to use them, but it's still odd (not to mention, illegal) to hear a shotgun in town.  Yet, here was this guy, blasting squirrels until there were no more in sight.

So we went over to ask him about it.  It seems his house previous this one burned to the ground when squirrels got into the attic and chewed up the wires.  He wasn't going to go through that again.  Given his backstory, the police gave him a pass on the firearm violation and the tree rat population went down precipitously while he lived in the neighborhood (we were more than fine with that). 

He moved around five years ago and we're now back to squirrels everywhere.  They popped a circuit breaker on a pole last summer cutting power to the whole neighborhood.  My son was shooting them with his bow for a while, but the cost of lost/broken arrows was getting up there so he quit.  I'm thinking maybe an Airsoft gun or pellet rifle. 

28 minutes ago, velorush said:

Years ago a couple bought a house in our small subdivision on the edge of our small town.  Later in the week we heard shotgun fire one afternoon.  It was the new guy blasting squirrels in the trees in his backyard.  Yes, I live in the sticks and yes, everyone has guns and knows how to use them, but it's still odd (not to mention, illegal) to hear a shotgun in town.  Yet, here was this guy, blasting squirrels until there were no more in sight.

So we went over to ask him about it.  It seems his house previous this one burned to the ground when squirrels got into the attic and chewed up the wires.  He wasn't going to go through that again.  Given his backstory, the police gave him a pass on the firearm violation and the tree rat population went down precipitously while he lived in the neighborhood (we were more than fine with that). 

He moved around five years ago and we're now back to squirrels everywhere.  They popped a circuit breaker on a pole last summer cutting power to the whole neighborhood.  My son was shooting them with his bow for a while, but the cost of lost/broken arrows was getting up there so he quit.  I'm thinking maybe an Airsoft gun or pellet rifle. 

Consider getting a small critter trap. Squirrels (and some other small buggers) are similar to the rats and mice that find the "free food" in traps hard to resist. If baited with rat poison (or similar) even more effective, but can be dangerous to such as cats. Much easier and safer than trying to pick them off with some sort of gun  when they do not let you get close.

https://www.amazon.com/Havahart-One-Door-Chipmunk-Squirrel-X-Small/dp/B000BPAVCG/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=havahart+small&qid=1614017017&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFNRFgxTEhBUk9COVUmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAyMTI2ODUxVFhLVDA1MlpNWDlVJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMDUyNDM5MDVPUEZHOVpDOEkmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Archived