Hamer Fan Club Message Center

2020: Your Best Scores & Biggest Fails of the Year!

WOW. So here we are again in a new year; here I sit pondering the previous year. Usually I have a list of great acquisitions and usually (hopefully) only a short list of fails for the year, and ask that you share yours.

2020 was an unusual year, by anyone's standards I'd have to imagine. Despite the many common challenges we've all been burdened with, and the many personal challenges of last year that we've endured individually, I found 2020 to be a great year overall for my family and myself. While I didn't really have much opportunity (for multitudes of reasons) to buy new toys, or to play guitar (or play the HFC for that matter) last year, I still have some great things to list in the "Win" or "Score" column, and nothing really to list in the "fail" column. 

For the "Scores", 2020 reminded me of what a fantastic family I have, and that being blessed with my wife is the greatest gift of all. This is total mush; I get it. So, that said, bring on the materialism! 

Selling our house in VA first day listed, and landing the new FLA homestead and FLA-MAN status is my biggest score. NO FAILS TO MENTION!

Now, show us all your new shiny stuff (hopefully unlike mine, guitar-related), and hopefully no fails or fugly. Bring it on!

• Like 5
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeesh.  2020 was a year of horrible loss for my family and me, had COVID and it sucked (the lingering after-effects still suck), only saw two concerts and only got to three NHL games.   On a positive,

Scores of 2020: My shop becoming an ESP/Takamine authorized service and warranty center. Launching The Coil Shack, my shop's in-house handwound custom pickups division. Scored a few cool guitars for m

The Plus side of things..................................for 2020..................I used to be in healthcare for over 35 years and have been out since August 2019 when I retired. I'm doing well and I

Posted Images

Biggest Failure: NOT taking complete advantage of my unemployment stint to become more present and enjoy the little things. 

Biggest Score: Not sweating the little things, or instilling fear in my children about the large uncertainties of 2020. 

I don't know where all this Dr. Z stuff came from, but i've amassed a small collection. I haven't had it like this since I bough my first Hamer and don't get me started on Shishkov Guitars! Come on 2021!

I want but do not need the new Dunlop Tremolo Pedal. ;) 

• Like 4

No major disasters last year. Aside from a Covid scare with my wife's Mom, it was mostly good because we're both working from home (for the moment).

The Shishkov was the highlight of the year, for sure. Fortunately I had that order in before we decided to re-furb our 40-year-old house with all the expensive shit (roof, gutters, windows, doors, siding, insulation, deck and septic. Ouch.). So that should be covered for a while. Both kids were lucky enough to work in areas that allowed for them to get their first round of the vaccine, so that is a huge relief (oops, I guess that was this year. Still a relief, though.).

We've been extremely fortunate through all of this. And we're staying hunkered down until the shot comes along.

• Like 4

Score -  time at home with my wife. The only good thing to come out of the pandemic.

Fail - I traded a perfectly good amp for a Tele that turned out to be a turd that defies polishing. I can use the neck and hardware but the body is a bust.

• Like 4

Score? Gear wise?

Piecing my old rig back together

While attempting to minimalism the control/ pedalboard

spacer.png

spacer.png

Getting an incredible deals on Ying (2019) and Yang (2020)

spacer.png

Fails, 2020 was pretty much epic fail altogether. We look forward to re location.

Edited by murkat
  • Like 12

The Plus side of things..................................for 2020..................I used to be in healthcare for over 35 years and have been out since August 2019 when I retired. I'm doing well and I'm healthy as a horse with no issues even before Covid. Wife is a LPN for over 30 years and still works with  critical care patients. She has been healthy and has had no run in with Covid. Both my daughters are in healthcare as well and both are working in Assisted Living facilities and have had people die, both staff and residents. They have been super careful as have we all and have had no Covid Issues. I'm VERY thankful for having a safe and healthy family,

you can pile all the great gear up to the sky and it wouldn't be worth a pinch of S**T if you don't have your health and your loved ones were not safe and healthy. That has been a SCORE in my book. Also I waited a long time for a guitar I would buy that would be my last electric and I got it last year at this time and I have loved this instrument since the day I got it. It checks all the boxes for me..................Yamaha Weddington Custom. On the Fail side I had some small issues with a new Snow Blower I bought  but they were resolved quickly

and w/o any cost to me........................................" I CAN'T COMPLAIN BUT SOMETIMES I STILL DO,LIFE HAS BEEN GOOD TO ME SO FAR"🙂D3dqbgY.jpg

Edited by ARM OF HAMER
  • Like 12

Been a year.  I am a teacher in Florida.  So, I teach the children who may or may not have parents who believe conspiracy theories about Covid.

We do have a policy about masks and I can enforce it.  So, I have that going for me! 😉

Bought a cheap pedal or two,  A cheap dual suspension mountain bike that I love and want to replace with a better one.

Doing okay. Finances are better.  Amplitube 5 update that came out in  December and  is freaking amazing.  Bought new pups for my bass that I still have got put in.  Family is safe.

Great wife, kids happy and successful.  Can't complain.

• Like 9

Survival! I made it through a two month work furlough - with prostate cancer surgery, HVAC replacement and new retaining wall in that time span. 

Musically, I built a small pedal board and got my Les Paul re-fretted.  Played out a few times when the weather was good and did a FB live to help out our local pub that has been a huge local/regional music supporter (Slainte Irish Pub, Guinness and Green Spot).

• Like 10

Hard to complain too much. Shut down like most.....Cars not getting much exercise these days. But we dodged health issues. The shoulder injury that slowed me down in 2019 was not so much a factor. Had my mother out for over a week twice, in a respite from her retirement community which, thankfully kept their folks safely, albeit with limits on their movement (all necessary). And our son visited for a couple weeks from SoCal. Thankfully, he was able to work remotely.

Financially, 2020 was a whirlwind, but actually ended better than expected 9-10 months ago. Not great, but not a complete kick in the teeth either.

On a more positive note, the lockdown was a real kick in the butt which knocked me into the mood to FINALLY start on my ultimate bucket list project. As of yesterday, 4 coats of finish are done....It is looking richer with each one......NOW I need to let that cure for a month before proceeding to 4 or so coats of an oil/wax "french polish" before I move it into the house. I will post updated pictures at that stage, as it looks so much better in natural light than with a flash.

Maybe my next project will be a bit less ambitious......😏

I am still on a mission to downsize on gear and have sent out many items. There were some inevitable stumbles, including a near clone of my numero uno which I got for a great price with an eye to simply pass on to someone that might love it as much as I do my main squeeze....IIRC, there are still a couple folks pondering that. If not, maybe I will post that blue beauty here soon. And I did not NEED this one, but maybe I was bored that day.......Probably not a long term keeper.

Sephir 12-20.jpg

Fingers crossed for 2021!

Edited by django49
  • Like 7

Sad part... wife lost her mom in September, then she ends up in hospital with heart problems just before Thanksgiving. But, gettin' better with therapy and home care. I'm learning to cook, cheaper than take-out every night !                                                                                                 Scores:  Picked up a couple more Hamers, a Mirage 1 and the recently acquired Triple Threat (thanks again Badger Dave), also a 50 watt Redplate Magica.                                                                                               Fails:  Ordered a Victory Countess preamp that fell through due to Covid shipping problems, then was offered a Synergy Syn 1 preamp in it's place, but was told they got their Covid related problems too. Oh well.... still waiting !!

• Like 9

Lots of personal fails and scores.  So many big highs and lows in addition to Covid and the lockdown and all the other stuff we all went through, I’m  really surprised I held it all together.  That being said our family came out of 2020 healthy and without our finances affected majorly.   Roll on 2021.   

these were the best gear scores.   But it’s the only gear I really bought this year.    No fails really.  
the Cam junior and the korina explorer I put together.  Both really exceeded expectations.   

1CCAEFAF-64A5-4EA2-9363-FA5A3D404461.jpeg

Edited by Ua D
  • Like 9

We survived 2020. We're blessed with (some) family left, and our hearts go out to those who lost much more in this horrid year. We've sent a few pieces along to homes that will appreciate them, and hope that the new owners find happiness with them. Sometimes we're "just the man until the real man comes along".  It's really cool when you hand a Hamer to someone, and you see the light glowing brighter. I was just hanging on to it until you were ready. Call me the curator lol.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

good -- my school teacher wife and I got our first Moderna vaccine shot the last day of 2020
bad -- Several close friends died because of Covid-19 

• Sad 9

My scores 2020:

A sweeeeet second daughter. 

A pair of Gibson V90 doubles for the girls (later:))

Fails 2020: not really, it could be worse

20210120_151926.jpg

• Like 8

Best score: F1 pair of adult Apalachicola kings, L. g. goini / meansi, with Sumatra locality data. Male first (in shed) female second. I actually get dizzy looking at these because their pattern is so 3D.

Failure: Brandon moved to fucking MA of all places. 

No description available.

No description available.

• Like 8
  • Confused 1
2 minutes ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

Best score: F1 pair of adult Apalachicola kings, L. g. goini / meansi, with Sumatra locality data. Male first (in shed) female second. I actually get dizzy looking at these because their pattern is so 3D

Those are cool. What do they smell like? Hope you're wearing clothes there...

3 minutes ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

Failure: Brandon moved to fucking MA of all places.

Don't worry, it's effin' cold up there. He'll be back.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Scores of 2020: My shop becoming an ESP/Takamine authorized service and warranty center. Launching The Coil Shack, my shop's in-house handwound custom pickups division. Scored a few cool guitars for myself and for the shop as Coil Shack pickup hosts. The Fret Shack also got a fresh wrap of vinyl siding and is looking more like a manor, or a Cajun chateau, at least the half we've reskinned so far haha.

129757232_10223932993253170_361475816392

The fail of 2020 and my biggest mishap in years: I am currently recovering from a ladder fall in November working on the shack's reskin that shattered my left heel, requiring an orthopaedic rebuild. My repair shop has been closed for all practical purposes since then as I heel heal, extremely limited client activity, challenging my sanity as well as my livelihood. I will reopen the shack full time come hell or high water next month after aggressive physical therapy. I just took my first steps on my new permanent internal plate and its 14 screws yesterday and I am in a hella lotta pain as I type this. Here are yesterday's update x-rays. But what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, so the outlook is bright.

140864087_246400660431397_6492505692173172127_n.jpg

139073671_1873625799442436_4849209042857700029_n.jpg

• Like 5
  • Sad 9

'20 was a tough one. That's for sure.

The BAD was kinda good in that of the 8 friends and family that died last year, none to that stupid pandemic. F'n cancer and bad tickers. 

The Good deal of the year was maybe a new Gibson Les Paul hard case. Scored from Guitar Center for $29.99 not a mark on it!

Like I said it wasn't a spectacular year in any good way.

• Like 7

Scores:  Healthy,  being able to work all year,  getting married,    gear:   my 2019 R8, buddy gave me a deal.

used the at home time to learn how to put together partcasters...  aging parts,  spraying necks, fitting

them together...  digging it.         

Fail:   USPS missing guitar.   (I am the buyer)  What appears to be a never ending covid delay.     They scan it just

enough (every couple of weeks)  to avoid considering it lost and paying out.      Edit   Finally got it   Mint    Seller and I are cool   Roll on    

i-BLWK6k8-M.jpg

i-3Pt88Nr-M.jpg 

Edited by DaveL
  • Like 11
17 hours ago, ARM OF HAMER said:

you can pile all the great gear up to the sky and it wouldn't be worth a pinch of S**T if you don't have your health and your loved ones were not safe and healthy.

Ah, it is Sensei Jamie  has returned to his flock, Lol.

The good? Two grandchildren were born in 2020. The wife hasn't dumped me yet. Found a great Telecaster that I love, two great small amps, my extended family. This forum; it's so cool here.

The bad? Like everyone else, Covid 19. No more playing out. The wife hasn't dumped me yet. My health is in the toilet, surgeries and other things that have just kicked the hell out of me physically and emotionally.

sensei.jpg

• Like 8

Good and bad things happened. 

Bad: got covid in March. Was sick as a dog. But recovered in full and I came out sexier than ever. The lady I have been living with for two years turned out to be adhd and borderline, the whole 2020 was terrible as she got diagnosed and got of her antidepresants in January 2020 (it was hell) and then got on adhd medication which was equally bad. We sold the house in June. Got an okay price and I moved into town, short term lease, with my two kids. We have had a great time since, the three of us.

Good: I found a great apartment just north of town that I bought. Moving in in 4 weeks. Met a great lady just before Christmas. Good lookin'. Sane and smart. Works for the Foreign Department and has been working abroad for +15 years, London, China, Singapore. We have great fun together and we'll see where it leads. Not moving in with another woman again though, lolz.

Gear: Found a 1974 slanted Marshall cab with very rare 98700 cones, only used by Celestion for a couple of months in '74. They sound killer.
And now for Christmas I found a 2005 Hamer Korina Vector from Holland in pristine condition, (but with strange bridge and Dimarzio Evolution pickups WTF?) Just installed a new Schaller gold bridge, and an old '59 Duncan in the neck and a Custom/59 hybrid that I bought from @Travis in the bridge. 

y4m20vTDxnGJ6O4bQoDDCdXtHZRdgKaxpXPE9lmN

• Like 12
10 minutes ago, Disturber said:

Good and bad things happened. 

Bad: got covid in March. Was sick as a dog. But recovered in full and I came out sexier than ever. The lady I have been living with for two years turned out to be adhd and borderline, the whole 2020 was terrible as she got diagnosed and got of her antidepresants in January 2020 (it was hell) and then got on adhd medication which was equally bad. We sold the house in June. Got an okay price and I moved into town, short term lease, with my two kids. We have had a great time since, the three of us.

Having had a little experience with a Borderline   (well, we "think" she was borderline,  they don't really accept the Doctor's opinion all that well)

Good to hear that you were able to move on.     yeah,  sit tight on moving in for a little bit!  

• Like 3