Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Barrel jack wiring question

ArnieZ

Question

Forgive me if this lame. In all the years I’ve owned Hamers I have never had a jack failure until now. I found this in my parts drawer.nm8KXSW.jpg

it looks like it is a stereo plug, I know Kim Keller had given this to me at one time saying it was more reliable than the ones they had been using. How do I wire this ? Just put the lead thru both connectors and ground as usual?

arniez

19 answers to this question

Grab your ohmmeter.

Stick a cable (one that works!) into the jack.

Use the ohmmeter to determine which lug matches the tip (on the far end of the cord) and which one matches the ground. (I assume you are not running stereo out of your guitar.)

Pull the plug and start wiring.

https://www.switchcraft.com/Drawings/152b_cd.pdf

The ring connection can be unused. I suppose the ring contact that presses on the side of the plug gives a little extra mechanical squeeze that makes the tip and sleeve connections more reliable. Would it hurt to wire both the sleeve and ring to the ground wire? I know the tip always has to be the hot wire alone.

thanks for the answers... no meter so that is not happening

? what happens if you wire the hot to both and ground as usual? seems like that shouldn't be a problem but If I knew i wouldn't be asking😀

arniez

3 hours ago, ArnieZ said:

thanks for the answers... no meter so that is not happening

? what happens if you wire the hot to both and ground as usual? seems like that shouldn't be a problem but If I knew i wouldn't be asking😀

arniez

Wiring the hot wire to both tip and ring will short the signal to ground when a mono plug is inserted.

11 hours ago, stobro said:

https://www.switchcraft.com/Drawings/152b_cd.pdf

The ring connection can be unused. I suppose the ring contact that presses on the side of the plug gives a little extra mechanical squeeze that makes the tip and sleeve connections more reliable. Would it hurt to wire both the sleeve and ring to the ground wire? I know the tip always has to be the hot wire alone.

on the jack I have both connectors are the same length

arniez

The Switchcraft drawing shows an "R" stamped on the ring terminal. Does your's have that? If not, the positions of the ring and tip terminals relative to the sleeve terminal should be in the same clockwise positions. With the sleeve at 6 o'clock, the ring is at 10 and the tip is at 2.

So while I’m waiting for my 3k meter, express shipping not included, i opened up the control cavity of my guitar. Redwood Studio

spacer.png

it appears to be the same Jack I have with hot passing thru both connectors

I surrender

53 minutes ago, ArnieZ said:

So while I’m waiting for my 3k meter, express shipping not included, i opened up the control cavity of my guitar. Redwood Studio

spacer.png

it appears to be the same Jack I have with hot passing thru both connectors

I surrender

Arnie, whoever wired this shouldn't have done it like that, it's wrong. A lot of them went out like that too. Just wire the left lug, it works with both soldered together, but, (depending on your plug) it will be a less finicky jack to just wire the left because the sleeve can short your connection when both are wired together. The left lug is the primary (tip) ETA - should be LOL.

7 minutes ago, ArnieZ said:

Well Hamer wired it🙃

the left lug is at 9:00.? Worked fine until it didn’t

I do appreciate all the advice!
arniez

That actually sounds like it may be a bad jack. If primary was on the other side, the tip wouldn't make contact with it and it wouldn't work - weird.

Archived