Hamer Fan Club Message Center

So, How 'Authentic' And 'Exact' Do You Want A Replica Artist-Model Instrument To Be?

crunchee

Jaco Pastorius-model and -inspired Jazz Basses can be found all over, but would you want one that was tossed down a concrete stairwell, broken into pieces, and reassembled?  Or another one that was thrown into Hiroshima Bay?  Check out the photos of Jaco's original "Bass Of Doom" Jazz Bass in pieces:

https://reverb.com/news/remembering-jaco-pastorius-a-tribute-to-his-favorite-gear

EVH Guitars has had versions for sale of Eddie's "Frankenstein" guitar for several years now, and there's plenty of people who have attempted to make their own versions, right down to the Quarter-Dollar coin nailed to the guitar (IIRC, I think someone here at the HFC posted recently that someone is selling 'correct' Quarters for that guitar on Ebay for stoopid money).  Recently, EVH Guitars has come out with a version of Eddie's "Shark" guitar, too.  Of course, the reviews for that model seem to have it's share of raves, even though Eddie was often quoted over the years as saying that the missing chunk of wood he took out of the guitar affected the guitar's tone, and he originally regretted performing the 'modification':

The original:  https://www.thaliacapos.com/blogs/blog/guitar-stories-eddie-van-halen-s-ibanez-destroyer

The quasi-'replica':  https://www.guitarworld.com/reviews/evh-striped-series-shark-review

Thoughts?

30 minutes ago, Ranger - Rick said:

I don't believe that anyone with any confidence in themselves, regardless of talent, would buy one of those "Insert Rock Star Name Here" guitars. 

Really! OMG, I, like, totally agree and stuff..!

msv.jpeg.0f5f0790cab56c53590145f3042b4051.jpg

Not much for those replica guitars. But I'd love one of those mid 90s's Ace Frehley Les Pauls with his face on the headstock. Just because they are cool. And I would not say no to a custom shop Angus Young SG either, just because they are cool. And I am lookin' for a Fender Strat Wayne Kramer edition at a reasonable price, just because they are cool and hardtail. So every rule has an exception I guess.....

Yeah, I’m not so turned on by replica guitars. Signature guitars I’m good with. I had a USA Peavey Wolfgang years ago. It was the Special with a flat maple top and scraped “binding” so it was set up more like Ed’s EBMM model. It was a cool guitar but I didn’t bond with the neck. I’d be good with another EVH Wolfgang IF the neck was bigger. That being said, I don’t ever see myself getting a Frankie  or Shark replica. Just not my style. 

I built my Strat partscaster as more of an homage to EVH than a replica. Single hum, single volume knob (labeled “tone”) and a maple/maple Strat head. That’s where the similarities end. I went with pink body and a purple mirrored pickguard. I suppose I could’ve striped it but Ed was an individual who did things to stand out. In my mind, his influence was strongest when inspiring others to be their own individuals. 

if I were to get a Frankie replica it would just hang on the wall as an art piece. That being the case, I’d save a few $$$ and just hang a poster instead...

5 hours ago, Disturber said:

Not much for those replica guitars. But I'd love one of those mid 90s's Ace Frehley Les Pauls with his face on the headstock. Just because they are cool. And I would not say no to a custom shop Angus Young SG either, just because they are cool. And I am lookin' for a Fender Strat Wayne Kramer edition at a reasonable price, just because they are cool and hardtail. So every rule has an exception I guess.....

Pete Townshend SG too. Mmm.

4 hours ago, Travis said:

Yeah, I’m not so turned on by replica guitars. Signature guitars I’m good with. I had a USA Peavey Wolfgang years ago. It was the Special with a flat maple top and scraped “binding” so it was set up more like Ed’s EBMM model. It was a cool guitar but I didn’t bond with the neck. I’d be good with another EVH Wolfgang IF the neck was bigger. That being said, I don’t ever see myself getting a Frankie  or Shark replica. Just not my style. 

I built my Strat partscaster as more of an homage to EVH than a replica. Single hum, single volume knob (labeled “tone”) and a maple/maple Strat head. That’s where the similarities end. I went with pink body and a purple mirrored pickguard. I suppose I could’ve striped it but Ed was an individual who did things to stand out. In my mind, his influence was strongest when inspiring others to be their own individuals. 

if I were to get a Frankie replica it would just hang on the wall as an art piece. That being the case, I’d save a few $$$ and just hang a poster instead...

Yeah, sometimes I like signature guitars because the person lending the signature has interesting ideas that make the instrument more useful. I have an EBMM St. Vincent that really is distinctive, with the three mini-buckers, unusual switching, light weight, and shape. It is FUNCTIONALLY different, unlike some signature guitars that are only different from the regular model because of the color and knobs or such. I also have a Manson EVO, which is not precisely a signature guitar but is sure influenced by Matt Bellamy's input. Super-hot bridge pickup, Sustainiac, Floyd, industrial finish, v-shaped neck on a Tele-shaped body. Very functional instrument.

But replicas? Doesn't do a thing for me, for some reason.

14 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

I like the Richie Kotzen Tele. Nicely done. Killer features.

And a HUGE neck, which interests me...

I've always wanted a checkerboard Hamer Standard, since I was a kid and ogling the "Dream Police" LP's back cover.  When I was able to score an all-mahogany 4-digit that had been repaired and was the perfect donor guitar, I didn't hesitate.  Mine isn't a 100% exact replica for a reason, but it looks the way I wanted it to, and I'm more than happy with it.  I have no interest in adding fake wear/relic treatment to it, and the differences, while not noticeable to most people, are intentional.

I don't really care if people play signature guitars, replica guitars, etc.  If it makes you happy and you dig it, I'm happy for you and there's nothing wrong with that.  I owned a Paul Stanley model 20-30 years ago, and it was super cool, but every time I brought it out people thought I was going to play KISS covers.  I ended up selling it, and kind of wish I'd kept it, but I'm not lacking for cool options.  I've had all the parts to put together a nice EVH Frankenstein replica for a few years, but it just hasn't ever fit into my schedule to fill/spray/tape/spray/tape/spray.  Maybe I'll get around to it (yes, I DO have a 1971-D Quarter), but since Ed passed pretty much everybody and their uncle is building one now.  That's cool and all, but I'd probably use it to bang out something that ISN'T a VH cover song just to piss people off.  I don't take that stuff all that seriously, in any event.

Bottom line, if you enjoy it and it inspires you to pick up the guitar and play v. something else, I think that's cooler than not playing.

My Chex Std 20.jpg

8 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

I've always wanted a checkerboard Hamer Standard, since I was a kid and ogling the "Dream Police" LP's back cover.  When I was able to score an all-mahogany 4-digit that had been repaired and was the perfect donor guitar, I didn't hesitate.  Mine isn't a 100% exact replica for a reason, but it looks the way I wanted it to, and I'm more than happy with it.  I have no interest in adding fake wear/relic treatment to it, and the differences, while not noticeable to most people, are intentional.

I don't really care if people play signature guitars, replica guitars, etc.  If it makes you happy and you dig it, I'm happy for you and there's nothing wrong with that.  I owned a Paul Stanley model 20-30 years ago, and it was super cool, but every time I brought it out people thought I was going to play KISS covers.  I ended up selling it, and kind of wish I'd kept it, but I'm not lacking for cool options.  I've had all the parts to put together a nice EVH Frankenstein replica for a few years, but it just hasn't ever fit into my schedule to fill/spray/tape/spray/tape/spray.  Maybe I'll get around to it (yes, I DO have a 1971-D Quarter), but since Ed passed pretty much everybody and their uncle is building one now.  That's cool and all, but I'd probably use it to bang out something that ISN'T a VH cover song just to piss people off.  I don't take that stuff all that seriously, in any event.

Bottom line, if you enjoy it and it inspires you to pick up the guitar and play v. something else, I think that's cooler than not playing.

My Chex Std 20.jpg

You are my spirit animal...

Some of the EVH stripped series are fun and great guitars for the money, at least before the death gouging started.  

I definitely have no issue with signature models; I own three Les Pauls.  As far as specific replicas of guitars, they can be fun for a stage show.  People liked it when I pulled out the bumblebee striped EVH to play my completely incorrect version of the Beat It solo when my band covered it.  It's a relatively cheap thrill to make a performance connect a little more.  I think they can also inspire you to really get into someone's catalog, thus expanding your technique. 

That being said, I'd never drop thousands on one of the hyper correct models.  At the end of the day, it's still not the actual guitar, and the gear is only part of the reason those guys sound like they do.  I can play pretend on a Mexican EVH, have a lot fun, and not have a ton of money tied up in a faux museum piece.  The only exception to this would be if I was in a dedicated tribute band bringing in enough money to justify spending that as part of the act. 

I've posted this before, but here's Satch playing a no name guitar through lord knows what kind of shitty practice amp.  Guess what?  He still sounds like Satch.  And any one of us here could play through his exact rig and probably wouldn't sound a damn thing like him.  I feel like folks spending all that money on hyper accurate recreations purely out of tone chasing are basically pissing up a rope and paying a lot of money to do so. 

I like this one and I think they [ Fender ] got it right. I love the color and the early LACE SENSOR pickups sound great to my ears. This guitar has some meat on the bone both in weight and the neck ,it has some weight to it [9lbs.] and the neck IS big which I like. Fender Jeff Beck "Signature" model Stratocaster. Beck like many artists has moved on to what he likes now ,he prefers the early version Wilkinson over the LSR roller nut and from what I have read the neck size has come down also with Beck preferring a little slimmer neck profile. Still a cool guitar in my bookj8jT42r.jpg.eHxkyFD.jpg

To me, the replica/signature stuff is a 'been there/done that'-type deal, mostly so collectors can have more wall art. I know, that's pretty harsh, but fer chrissakes do something original says the guy in a cover band! I get giving a nod to your influences. My LP is because of Jimmy Page and Billy Gibbons. But put a bullseye on there and I have to do Zak riffs all night. No thanks. Even Chris's checkerboard (pretty sweet) has his own bits in it.

If you're going to spend the money, give it to Mike and have him build YOUR signature model. Hell, you deserve it a lot more than some of the 'talent' that Gibson or Fender makes them for.

11 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Mine isn't a 100% exact replica for a reason, but it looks the way I wanted it to

My Chex Std 20.jpg

Very nice. I like yours better. Perhaps it's an OCD thing, perhaps an equilibrium defect, but when I look at Rick's, and imagined playing it, looking at the strings and pickups made me dizzy. Yours has the pattern running parallel with the neck and strings, so much easier on the eyes for me.

11 hours ago, LucSulla said:

I've posted this before, but here's Satch playing a no name guitar through lord knows what kind of shitty practice amp.  Guess what?  He still sounds like Satch.  And any one of us here could play through his exact rig and probably wouldn't sound a damn thing like him.  I feel like folks spending all that money on hyper accurate recreations purely out of tone chasing are basically pissing up a rope and paying a lot of money to do so. 

Now I'll have to upgrade my Chinacaster pickups to those Indocasters. Sweet!

On 1/21/2021 at 7:59 PM, gtrdaddy said:

I bet. I saw his foot.

...sorry Jeff, I couldn't resist.

Squirrel bite?

No way on a copy! I like to mess with them to much. I couldn't do that to a clone....

Archived