Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Is it just a hoarding thing?

LucSulla

So I get this Splawn amp and all I want is more Splawn amps, to the point of thinking about dumping the Friedman for more Splawn stuff. 

Why?  I dumped the Small Box for a BE-50, which I regret.  I'm pretty sure I'd regret dumping the Budda or or Friedman for a Splawn.  I do that though.  If one is cool, three is cooler!  I bought know guitars really in 2019 and then bought three Jacksons in a month.  I've subsequently sold one and intend on hanging on to the other two (the old soloist is one of the best all around guitars I own currently). 

I know some of the rest of you do similar.  Lol, I can tell from the gear purges and what not.  What exactly is the deal with that weird mania to own them all after buying one?  I've gotten a tad better about it in the last few years, but I can't count how many guitars and amps I've dumped that I wish I'd had to support gorging on a brand or even just a model for a few months. 

53 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

I think you’re out of control. You need help. Find a meeting. 

As long as everything is getting paid off before the interest comes due, I think I'll be OK, lol. 

I'm scratching the gear itch by rewiring my Fusion with Dimarzios instead of the stock Jackson pups and taking the mid boost circuit out.  Going to a standard 1 volume and 1 tone and going to wire the DPDT switch for coil spliting.  

I'm also going to a Two Notes Captor X for the home studio and for live and probably send the Budda to Jeff for a service.  

I think from there, I may keep an eye out for an old Theile cab for this EV speaker.  

I'm trying to move from buying shit to tinkering more.  I think it will be more enjoyable in the long run.  

5 hours ago, LucSulla said:

I'm scratching the gear itch by rewiring my Fusion with Dimarzios instead of the stock Jackson pups and taking the mid boost circuit out.  Going to a standard 1 volume and 1 tone and going to wire the DPDT switch for coil spliting.  

I’ve rewired my Charvel more times than I can count. Ripped out that mid boost years ago and never looked back. I’ve gone with 3 volumes, V/V/T, V/T and a mini switch for coil splitting just like you’re mentioning. When I installed a set of Josh’s pickups in it last year or two I settled on a single V/T and an empty hole. 😄

Tinkering is fun and it does scratch the buying itch. In the end, I still end up buying more stuff. But at least I’m successful at delaying it some. 

If it makes you feel better, I love the tones from my Budda SD30 I’m half looking for another Budda to run a stereo rig. Not because I need it. But because I’m either sick or bored. Probably both...

Good luck to you, sir!

7 hours ago, LucSulla said:

So I get this Splawn amp and all I want is more Splawn amps, to the point of thinking about dumping the Friedman for more Splawn stuff. 

Why?  I dumped the Small Box for a BE-50, which I regret.  I'm pretty sure I'd regret dumping the Budda or or Friedman for a Splawn.  I do that though.  If one is cool, three is cooler!  I bought know guitars really in 2019 and then bought three Jacksons in a month.  I've subsequently sold one and intend on hanging on to the other two (the old soloist is one of the best all around guitars I own currently). 

I know some of the rest of you do similar.  Lol, I can tell from the gear purges and what not.  What exactly is the deal with that weird mania to own them all after buying one?  I've gotten a tad better about it in the last few years, but I can't count how many guitars and amps I've dumped that I wish I'd had to support gorging on a brand or even just a model for a few months. 

For me, it's a combination of things.

1) There is *nothing* like the thrill of a guitar (or amp, or pedal, I guess, but for me, it's guitars) being *better* than you expected. You already agreed to a price for a certain expectation. You already thought you got a good deal.  Now it's *better*.  Why wouldn't you want to replicate that feeling?

2) Okay, so you just got this guitar/amp/pedal/guitar pick that is the best thing ever.  What if it's stolen? What if it breaks? What if you wear it out?  Of *course* you need a backup.  You know, just in case.

3) When I seek out a guitar that's *perfect* for me, with everything i want, it often still doesn't quite scratch the itch, and ends up hanging on the wall too long, not getting played.  So you replace it with something more likely to get played. 

4) Sometimes there's an aspect you liked, but you didn't realize how difficult it is to get on other guitars.  Like a really good quack tone, or a really great balance.

5) There's only so many guitars you can realistically play.  So you kind of set a mental bar of what is "good enough to keep."  For me, as I churned through guitars, I struggled with the notion of, "Well, if *this* guitar is good enough, then there's no reason to sell these 9 others that are equally good.  But if I sold all 9, I'd miss 4-5 of them too much." So I'd sell some, keep some, regret some of the ones I sold over the ones I kept.  And I would buy new guitars that met that standard. But then, occasionally, I'd run across a guitar that was clearly better than those marginal ones.  Once I got 2-3 of that quality, it would raise the "keep/sell" bar as I realized that even with sentiment, those lower level guitars were not going to get played.  So I could have a *better* collection with fewer guitars.

I mean, when I had 64 guitars (my high-water moment, about 6 years ago), they were all good guitars.  Probably at least 60 of them were giggable, and the remaining 4 just needed some repairs or a pup swap to be giggable.

But I've been slowly raising the bar.  2 years ago, I was at 35 but couldn't convince myself to go below 30.  In the year after that, I bought probably 10 guitars, but sold 20, getting down to 25 with a goal of getting down to 20.  Another year, I bought 5-6, and I'm down to 22 in hand and about to get all the way down to 17.  I think I could get brutal and make it to 12, but I don't see any reason to do that.

So for me, churning through guitars has kind of been condensing the quality and love.  Every guitar I pick up is truly very special for me. I know which guitar to pick up when I want something specific.

1 hour ago, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said:

1) There is *nothing* like the thrill of a guitar (or amp, or pedal, I guess, but for me, it's guitars) being *better* than you expected. You already agreed to a price for a certain expectation. You already thought you got a good deal.  Now it's *better*.  Why wouldn't you want to replicate that feeling?

2) Okay, so you just got this guitar/amp/pedal/guitar pick that is the best thing ever.  What if it's stolen? What if it breaks? What if you wear it out?  Of *course* you need a backup.  You know, just in case.

3) When I seek out a guitar that's *perfect* for me, with everything i want, it often still doesn't quite scratch the itch, and ends up hanging on the wall too long, not getting played.  So you replace it with something more likely to get played. 

4) Sometimes there's an aspect you liked, but you didn't realize how difficult it is to get on other guitars.  Like a really good quack tone, or a really great balance.

5) There's only so many guitars you can realistically play.  So you kind of set a mental bar of what is "good enough to keep."  For me, as I churned through guitars, I struggled with the notion of, "Well, if *this* guitar is good enough, then there's no reason to sell these 9 others that are equally good.  But if I sold all 9, I'd miss 4-5 of them too much." So I'd sell some, keep some, regret some of the ones I sold over the ones I kept.  And I would buy new guitars that met that standard. But then, occasionally, I'd run across a guitar that was clearly better than those marginal ones.  Once I got 2-3 of that quality, it would raise the "keep/sell" bar as I realized that even with sentiment, those lower level guitars were not going to get played.  So I could have a *better* collection with fewer guitars.

I mean, when I had 64 guitars (my high-water moment, about 6 years ago), they were all good guitars.  Probably at least 60 of them were giggable, and the remaining 4 just needed some repairs or a pup swap to be giggable.

But I've been slowly raising the bar.  2 years ago, I was at 35 but couldn't convince myself to go below 30.  In the year after that, I bought probably 10 guitars, but sold 20, getting down to 25 with a goal of getting down to 20.  Another year, I bought 5-6, and I'm down to 22 in hand and about to get all the way down to 17.  I think I could get brutal and make it to 12, but I don't see any reason to do that.

So for me, churning through guitars has kind of been condensing the quality and love.  Every guitar I pick up is truly very special for me. I know which guitar to pick up when I want something specific.

Behold: the diagramming of neurosis and self-validation.  :P 🤣

1 hour ago, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said:

Damn Dood, ever smoke pot?

10 hours ago, LucSulla said:

Why? 

Shut up and just buy a 50 watt Quick Rod... no need to overly think about it 🤘

5 hours ago, murkat said:

^ this.

In regards to the Fusion redu, make a Rocket, not a command center ;)

If I had my druthers, I'd just rewire it as is, but I'm honestly sick of the tone boost circuit.  I could wire it just for volume, but the hole for a tone pot is already there.  Likewise, I could wire it for volume and tone only, but he DPDT switch is already there.  While I do often pray often to the temple of "One Knob, Let's Go," I kinda like the idea of preserving the look of stock and keeping everything there, pots and switches, functional in some way.  

Done the guitar thing, the pickup thing, the amp thing, guitar hardware and electronics thing, even strings! Just crawled into another rabbit hole, the speaker thing !  All this since I retired, who knows, could be boredom. Heck, my neighbor has 6 cars since he retired....now that's really weird !! 

2 hours ago, LucSulla said:

II could wire it just for volume, but the hole for a tone pot is already there.  Likewise, I could wire it for volume and tone only, but he DPDT switch is already there.  While I do often pray often to the temple of "One Knob, Let's Go," I kinda like the idea of preserving the look of stock and keeping everything there, pots and switches, functional in some way.  

If you don't like seeing the empty holes, nothing is making you wire up whatever you stuff in there.  Functional could just be haptic satisfaction.  Or trigger a smoke generator.

2 hours ago, LucSulla said:

If I had my druthers, I'd just rewire it as is, but I'm honestly sick of the tone boost circuit.  I could wire it just for volume, but the hole for a tone pot is already there.  Likewise, I could wire it for volume and tone only, but he DPDT switch is already there.  While I do often pray often to the temple of "One Knob, Let's Go," I kinda like the idea of preserving the look of stock and keeping everything there, pots and switches, functional in some way.  

2 minutes ago, mrjamiam said:

If you don't like seeing the empty holes, nothing is making you wire up whatever you stuff in there.

This ^^^

Like I said, I’ve rewired my 3-knob Charvel more times than I can count. That includes having a dummy knob on top of an unwired pot. So, it looked stock but was wired the way I wanted. Currently it’s sitting with an empty hole, as it has for more than a year. I’m at the point now where I just need to get to the hardware store to grab a rubber stopper to cover the hole...  😆

18 hours ago, LucSulla said:

I don’t understand.   Are saying there’s a problem.  I’m just not following.   🤪

8 hours ago, murkat said:

^ this.

In regards to the Fusion redu, make a Rocket, not a command center ;)

I didn't understand this when you told it to me a few years ago, but I completely get this now.

If you like the tinkering try building an amp! Great deal of satisfaction when the local guitar greats are commenting on your tone and wondering what kind of amp you're running! And you know you built it!

On 1/22/2021 at 12:02 AM, LucSulla said:

I guess its a touch of hoarding ... but what's wrong with that? I can't seem to get enough of British Amps lately ... Marshall, Laney, and especially Orange ... If there's something wrong with me ... I don't wanna be right !!

Orangewall4.jpg

Just now, Len said:

I guess its a touch of hoarding ... but what's wrong with that? I can't seem to get enough of British Amps lately ... Marshall, Laney, and especially Orange ... If there's something wrong with me ... I don't wanna be right !!

Orangewall4.jpg

I feel like, just as I was questioning my drinking, Dean Martin walked in the room. 

Archived