Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: Dweezil Zappa Selling Gear On Reverb

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Or his prices could reflect a guy who thinks he's fucking famous.

I think Dweezil has firm grasp on reality, he is a smart guy that has just started a couple new ventures. I think he want to avoid other people flipping them and him leaving money on the table. But the PRS IS STOCK, that was the only guitar I was really calling out. I would not be surprised if the Custom PRS Sells for that money. 

As @santellavision pointed out, some of the other items are reasonable. 

Kiz you should pick up or at least listen to some of his "Not Frank" material. He as swing and its creative stuff. 

3 hours ago, 79Sunburst said:

Here is the video of Dweezil at NRG. They are claiming it is a part of Rock history like it is all original. Necks have been swapped, electronics changed out. 

I didn't see/hear any misrepresentations.... the history of that guitar (and it's providence) that is was the guitar Frank built and played from the Hendrix body..... and it's recent restore/refurb to the Zappa spec.

16 minutes ago, Dasein said:

I didn't see/hear any misrepresentations.... the history of that guitar (and it's providence) that is was the guitar Frank built and played from the Hendrix body..... and it's recent restore/refurb to the Zappa spec.

I recall seeing something about the Frank neck being replaced, as well as the pickguard and pickups.
Again, you'd also have to buy into the story about the body having been Jimi's before it was Frank's, which means little to me without any proof.

13 minutes ago, kizanski said:

I recall seeing something about the Frank neck being replaced, as well as the pickguard and pickups.
Again, you'd also have to buy into the story about the body having been Jimi's before it was Frank's, which means little to me without any proof.

Dweezil was born in 1969 so most likely he's not behind the story of the body's provenance... Now as for Frank -- he was a Carnival Barker/Promoter who liked Lolz so with him anything is possible -- but the lore of this guitar - its principle story - and the history since Frank (and others) played it is not disputed - and the Dweez was upfront about all the changes and restorations - so I just don't see this video as a single shred of evidence to imply Dweezel is somehow not truthful.

8 minutes ago, Dasein said:

Dweezil was born in 1969 so most likely he's not behind the story of the body's provenance... Now as for Frank -- he was a Carnival Barker/Promoter who liked Lolz so with him anything is possible -- but the lore of this guitar - its principle story - and the history since Frank (and others) played it is not disputed - and the Dweez was upfront about all the changes and restorations - so I just don't see this video as a single shred of evidence to imply Dweezel is somehow not truthful.

I never said he was being untruthful.  I'm saying that the guitar's value is whatever you think it is because Frank owned it and said that the body was Jimi's, which cannot be proven so to me it's worthless.

2 minutes ago, kizanski said:

I never said he was being untruthful.  I'm saying that the guitar's value is whatever you think it is because Frank owned it and said that the body was Jimi's, which cannot be proven so to me it's worthless.

The guitar is worth what it's gonna sell for - the murky provenance is part of the lore of that guitar - that it was Zappa's and was on the cover of Guitar Player Magazine... all part of its documented history. Me - I could care less - I never pay premiums for stuff like that. I only responded here because @79Sunburstsuggested that Dweezil was dishonest, using this video as his "proof" and suggested that the guy probably had his "real Charvel" hidden away somewhere and was selling a reproduction to fleece the punters....

4 minutes ago, Dasein said:

... suggested that the guy probably had his "real Charvel" hidden away somewhere and was selling a reproduction to fleece the punters....

Can you prove that he DIDN'T do that??

No.  Didn't think so.

9 hours ago, 79Sunburst said:

Dweezil is cut off from his dad's estate and his mom or younger sister are the administrators and they have sued each other.

Gail is dead. She put Ahmet in charge of the estate before she died. The assets were not evenly divvied up between the kids, so the lawsuits began. Heartbreaking when you think about it. 

I remember a Mix magazine cover story on Frank in the 80s. The interviewer was marveling at Frank’s top of the line, automated multitrack studio. “You’re not a million selling artist. How can you afford all this stuff?”  “Easy”, Frank replied. “I don’t do coke.”

4 hours ago, 79Sunburst said:

Actually, you don't get it.  I like both Dweezil and his brother Ahmet.  I just think he plays fast and loose with the truth about some of his gear .

No -- you suggested that "you wouldn't be surprised" if he was fraudulently selling a reproduction to rip people off and had his original green guitar hidden away - and you used a video to back up your stated belief that "I just think he plays fast and loose with the truth" that did not show him making any misrepresentations at all. I'd say you are doing Dweezil dirty here with your beliefs, and statements about his truthfulness and motivations.... maybe not legally actionable character assassination, but enough of one that if it happened in a bar with a bunch of people around no one would be surprised if you were called out to the parking lot to face the man for it.

Anyway -- let's stay friends but dude -- right? Give the guy a break.

6 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Can you prove that he DIDN'T do that??

No.  Didn't think so.

I can't prove my mother didn't let Biker Gangs run trains on her in the 60's either or that she's not a Russian asset funneling state secrets to Putin from her care-home in her final days..... that commie whore.

Just now, Dasein said:

I can't prove my mother didn't let Biker Gangs run trains on her in the 60's either or that she's not a Russian asset funneling state secrets to Putin from her care-home in her final days..... that commie whore.

ouch - too far, man - lol

1 hour ago, Dasein said:

The implication is that it is a Hendrix Strat. 

It's not. It's a mutt and mutts don't bring the kind of money that Dweezil wants to get out of it. And Norm is being a dick trying to sell it as more than it is. Norm is the biggest star struck ass kisser I have seen. They probably don't give the regular customer the time of day unless they are willing to drop 50 G's on an axe. 

24 minutes ago, Dasein said:

I’m just glad my father’s long since deceased.... he would have had a hard time with this news.

Yeah, no doubt.  If he found it half as disturbing as I did.

39 minutes ago, Dasein said:

624A3641-0214-4BE7-8858-D76F02A394EF.jpeg

7 minutes ago, 79Sunburst said:

The implication is that it is a Hendrix Strat. 

It's not. It's a mutt and mutts don't bring the kind of money that Dweezil wants to get out of it. And Norm is being a dick trying to sell it as more than it is. Norm is the biggest star struck ass kisser I have seen. They probably don't give the regular customer the time of day unless they are willing to drop 50 G's on an axe. 

It's the guitar, returned to Zappa spec, that was used by Frank (and others) on legendary Zappa recordings and live performances, and was on the cover of guitar player magazine that Frank claimed was a a Hendrix body.... That's all it's being represented as.... no trickery or tom foolery - it's all disclosed and out on the table. The Hendrix connection has always been lore.... but here's a cool thread talking about the possibility:

https://www.groundguitar.com/jimi-hendrix-gear/jimi-hendrixs-1960s-fender-stratocaster-frank-zappa/

2 minutes ago, Dasein said:

It's the guitar, returned to Zappa spec, that was used by Frank (and others) on legendary Zappa recordings and live performances, and was on the cover of guitar player magazine that Frank claimed was a a Hendrix body.... That's all it's being represented as.... no trickery or tom foolery - it's all disclosed and out on the table. The Hendrix connection has always been lore.... but here's a cool thread talking about the possibility:

https://www.groundguitar.com/jimi-hendrix-gear/jimi-hendrixs-1960s-fender-stratocaster-frank-zappa/

. Ok. One man's junk...

3 minutes ago, Dasein said:

Ya - I would buy it either - no love or desire there -- but I also wouldn't "think" or suggest that Dweezil is a cheat and fraudster.

Well, I said that "I wouldn't be surprised" if it was a duplicate. 

Not that it was. 

The same speculation was that EVH gave Dime's family a copy of the Bumblebee when Dime was killed and not the original. 

Eddie certainly had the ability to have a few duplicates made and even if he did that, it came from him and Dime's family wouldn't know the difference. 

I am done discussing Dweezil's integrity or what my opinion is about it. Have a good day. 

21 minutes ago, Dasein said:

The Hendrix connection has always been lore...

There is provenance for a few items, though.

Behold!  THE Woodstock Strat.
I literally felt electricity in my spine as I was gazing upon it.

jimi01.jpg

jimi02.jpg

jimi03.jpg

40 minutes ago, 79Sunburst said:

Well, I said that "I wouldn't be surprised" if it was a duplicate. 

Not that it was. 

The same speculation was that EVH gave Dime's family a copy of the Bumblebee when Dime was killed and not the original. 

Eddie certainly had the ability to have a few duplicates made and even if he did that, it came from him and Dime's family wouldn't know the difference. 

I am done discussing Dweezil's integrity or what my opinion is about it. Have a good day. 

So - you don’t stand behind your words - but you won’t be a mensch and say “ya - my bad - I was probably talking out of my ass” ?.... now you want to leave the playground?

...and here I was - exposing my own mother to ridicule and scorn as a biker moll and Russian agent to show good will and fair play - but admitting you might have spoken out of turn was too much for you?

Dude? Right? Come on... 

32 minutes ago, kizanski said:

There is provenance for a few items, though.

Behold!  THE Woodstock Strat.
I literally felt electricity in my spine as I was gazing upon it.

jimi01.jpg

jimi02.jpg

jimi03.jpg

That’s clearly cream colored, not white.... ;)

54 minutes ago, Dasein said:

So - you don’t stand behind your words - but you won’t be a mensch and say “ya - my bad - I was probably talking out of my ass” ?.... now you want to leave the playground?

...and here I was - exposing my own mother to ridicule and scorn as a biker moll and Russian agent to show good will and fair play - but admitting you might have spoken out of turn was too much for you?

Dude? Right? Come on... 

I stand behind my words. The ones that you misinterpreted because you are a Dweezil fan boi and my cynicism of him obviously hurt your fee fees.

Your mom's extracurricular activities are of no interest to me. But it appears she raised a dick, so maybe she enjoys all of them she could get. 

Archived