Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Strat Mod

Len

It gets in the way of your reaching for the five way, you accidentally hit one or two of these and Presto-Chango you've got some crazy new sound!  😉

Maybe tone pot defeats? 3 pole switches, the pots and 5 way look normal. Pre-Wire Tone Cap setups versus using the pots ala Gretsch?

It allows you a bunch of extra combinations, and many options depending on how you wire it. They are most commonly wired so that you get all of your traditional Strat pickup options in a choice of both parallel and in series; it also gives you the Tele Neck and Bridge option both in parallel and in series. It also gives you all three pickups together in parallel, series and series/parallel.

Just now, gtrdaddy said:

It allows you a bunch of extra combinations, and many options depending on how you wire it. They are most commonly wired so that you get all of your traditional Strat pickup options in a choice of both parallel and in series; it also gives you the Tele Neck and Bridge option both in parallel and in series. It also gives you all three pickups together in parallel, series and series/parallel.

image.gif

Strat1.jpg

Looks like a great way to overcomplicate your switching and butcher your pickguard all at the same time!
If you want the "Tele sound" so badly, get a fucking Tele. Built in excuse right there.
The "all three pickups at once" sound ain't that great, and as for parallel/series... nobody cares except for companies that make switches and Paul Reed Smith.

Just install a Freeway 5B5-01. One switch  will do all that, if that's

what you want. I replaced the rotary in my PRS with a Freeway 3x3-04 toggle,

pretty cool switch.

3 hours ago, kizanski said:

The "all three pickups at once" sound ain't that great, and as for parallel/series... nobody cares except for companies that make switches and Paul Reed Smith.

...and Brian May.

Back when Mesa did nothing but exotic hardwood cabinets and wicker grills and all the LA studio heroes had guitars to match, I had a Strat-o-type with 3 mini-toggles instead of the 5-way.  They were double-throw types that gave you on/off/phasephlop for each pickup.  Kinda cool, but also kinda fiddly for live use. Between that and the fact that that hardwood body weighed a ton, it didn't see much action.

Considering the photographed example isn't wired up, I'm not sure even the source knows what to do with it. 

For what it's worth, I have a Gilmour "neck on" two-way switch in my G&L Legacy and I get a lot mileage out of the two very desirable tones it adds, maybe it's the pickups I use. And I've lost count of how many of those I've added to Strats in my market after shop clients try mine. Win-win.

4 hours ago, Jeff R said:

Considering the photographed example isn't wired up, I'm not sure even the source knows what to do with it. 

For what it's worth, I have a Gilmour "neck on" two-way switch in my G&L Legacy and I get a lot mileage out of the two very desirable tones it adds, maybe it's the pickups I use. And I've lost count of how many of those I've added to Strats in my market after shop clients try mine. Win-win.

I am REALLY hoping that 2021 is the year I finally send a lil' project down your way, Jeff!

Archived