Hamer Fan Club Message Center

If you could have one Fuzz...

JGale

Don't ask me man! I have never pl;ayed a fuzz I like :P I was almost impressed by the EHX Green Russian and I just bought a Russian hand-made Heretic Fuzz by Hiero Effects. Not convinced. I'd also like to hear what people might recommend...

When it comes to fuzz, connoisseurs and aficionados abound.  After diving down several rabbit holes on the subject and not wishing to do so again, I got an EH Triangle Fuzz reissue, the reissue of the original Big Muff.   It's classic, it's gnarly, it's rude and if you leave the output level knob too far up you're gonna break somethin'.

3 minutes ago, tomteriffic said:

When it comes to fuzz, connoisseurs and aficionados abound.  After diving down several rabbit holes on the subject and not wishing to do so again, I got an EH Triangle Fuzz reissue, the reissue of the original Big Muff.   It's classic, it's gnarly, it's rude and if you leave the output level knob too far up you're gonna break somethin'.

Out of all of the ones I have watched demo's of, the Triangle is my favourite. I am considering buying a RAYGUN FX Meatropolis...

The only fuzz I’ve liked in the last decade is in my Keely Monterey.

The coolest LOOKING is the one my son has in his guitar pedalboard that is built into an old GameBOY device - it lights up and everything...not sure I love the fuzzy one so much, but it’s pretty damned nifty.

I'm sportin' a Wampler Velvet fuzz these days. It toggles between "Big" and "Tight" so its like a two fer. Tight is what it sounds like. Focused, smooth, sustainy. Big is rude and gnarly. Covers a lot of ground for me.  Its good enough I've retired my Way Huge Swollen Pickle. Besides, the SP sitting next to the Saucy Box on my pedal board was making the bass player giggle uncontrolably...

I've never really found too many fuzzes I'd really really loved. Years down that rabbit hole made me pretty much give up. Then,  I got a hold of a pedal that does fuzz in a way that I actually like, and it's not really a fuzz pedal. Lovepedal's Black Glass OC42 BBB. It is a germanium  OC42 OD pedal that has some very sweet overdrive tones, and has the ability to do rangemaster and fuzz (without the farting and spitting). One of my favorite pedals.

image.png

2 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

I've never really found too many fuzzes I'd really really loved. Years down that rabbit hole made me pretty much give up. Then,  I got a hold of a pedal that does fuzz in a way that I actually like, and it's not really a fuzz pedal. Lovepedal's Black Glass OC42 BBB. It is a germanium  OC42 OD pedal that has some very sweet overdrive tones, and has the ability to do rangemaster and fuzz (without the farting and spitting). One of my favorite pedals.

image.png

THIS!!!  ^^^^^

Jamie convinced me, and I’m glad he did. I picked up one of these last week and it’s killer. I never liked fuzz until I got this one. And there’s a reason why there’s the word “glass” in the name. Pedal on with some fuzz/drive turned up and back down on the guitar volume: instant glass. Hendrix-y stratty clean goodness. I’m a convert. 

VIntage; Mosrite FUZZrite. Listen to the opening chord on "Iron Butterfly Theme" (and to the entire song, for that matter):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDoWtqIGUjY

Modern: Hallmark Nu Fuzz: Handcrafted high up in the Greenhorn Mountains of California by octogenarian Ed Sanner, who worked at Mosrite and invented the original FUZZrite in the mid-'60s.

I have tried for years to love Fuzz, but somehow it keeps eluding.  The new JHS "Legends of Fuzz" series might be worth a look though. Their Tonebender Mk III Onomatopoeia style pedal sounds incredible.

Here are the ones I LOVE, in order...

1.  Monsterpiece  Mk1 bender clone- primitive spitty gated pure rock and roll. Think Ronson and Yardbirds. Does not clean up at all. It is in control when you step on it.Perfect fuzz..

2. Lovepedal Super Sic Tone- has 3 toggle settings, Treble Booster type, Led Zep 1 fuzz, and a thicker nastier fuzz on 3.  The treble booster setting does Zep2.  Zep in a box. 

3. Lovepedal 200# of Gold- Fuzzface type, being pushed by a tube screamer. Does the perfect FF clean up yet never gets woofy,even when dimed. It has a tone control.

Went through some Fuzzes. Got stuck with the only one that works for me, so far. The Fulltone Catalyst. It's like the OCD of fuzz pedals. Extremely usefull. Can be a clean boost. Can be a fuzz (a bloody good one). Can be an overdrive. So it's versatile. Have not found another fuzz that is versatile. And it does not compress, it's very open sounding. The tone controls actually work, and they work well. It can be very nice and go to VERY mean. And it's great for dialing back your volume knob on the guitar too. 

This is out of production. But I think you can order it still. A very missunderstood pedal. I tell ya' , it's bloody great.

Archived