Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Shishkov/Gravelin Pickup Batch 2021

3 hours ago, devrock said:

Is there a deadline for this? I'm really wanting the Charlotte set for a build, but not sure when I can swing it. If I have to wait until next year...so be it!

Yes there was a deadline of sorts in that I had enough for 7 extra sets. All of those extra bobbins and frames are used up but... check your messages.

• 2 weeks later...

All but 2 customers sets shipped out today so check your messages for tracking numbers. Yo, Chicago and Minneapolis - yours will ship on Wed.!:)

A cool new pickup came out of this special HFC run: a Mini-P90. 2 custom-cut Alnico 5 magnets charge the assembly, mounting frame done up in my shop, 6.9k, 2 conductor + ground output leads ..pretty cool!! Here's a photo.

DSC04570.JPG

26 minutes ago, JGravelin said:

All but 2 customers sets shipped out today so check your messages for tracking numbers. Yo, Chicago and Minneapolis - yours will ship on Wed.!:)

A cool new pickup came out of this special HFC run: a Mini-P90. 2 custom-cut Alnico 5 magnets charge the assembly, mounting frame cut/bent/drilled in my shop, 6.9k, 2 conductor + ground output leads ..pretty cool!! Here's a photo.

DSC04570.JPG

Hey Josh, very cool!.. please tell us more... Does it fit in a single coil cavity?.. any neck position versions?

It's exactly the same footprint as the DiMarz/Hamer Proto/Phantom singles and does fit a variety of single coil routes including a Strat style pickguard mount. This 6.9k version is a middle position. 6.7k - 7.4k or so, depending on what a person is going after would be totally good for neck or middle. As for a bridge pickup, an 8.5 to possibly low/mid 9k zone is doable for sure. I haven't built and tested a bridge pickup specifically but I know I'm right in the ballpark.

1 hour ago, JGravelin said:

A cool new pickup came out of this special HFC run: a Mini-P90. 2 custom-cut Alnico 5 magnets charge the assembly, mounting frame done up in my shop, 6.9k, 2 conductor + ground output leads ..pretty cool!! Here's a photo.

DSC04570.JPG

Uh... wait....  single coil sized p90?!?  

How close does it sound to a traditional p90?

In this 6.7k - 7.4k or so range it shares some of the sonic imprint of V2 Hamer singles but with a frequency shift and dynamic "feel" response that is P90-esque because internally it really is a P90 build at its core: done on a smaller scale, to fit the single coil size. The biggest hurdle here was the magnetic circuit and optimizing the output gain. I had some dimensions of the bar in mind for this, dug around, and finally found a cool source for A2, A4, A5, and C8 in all sorts of funky shapes and sizes; bought a few different variations to play with and settled on these specific ones.

The standard rod magnet model is a bit more direct and has a slight point on the attack, not unlike pretty much any rod magnet single coil. This creation is way over on the P90 side of things for sure. There's a twinge of goilfoil characteristic in there too. Combining with a humbucker split coil is ++ and solo'd it's familiar and toneful. Will rip! with some gain.

Getting more of these mags isn't a problem nor are the frames.

DSC04571.JPG

6.8k - 7.4k is not unlike the earliest P90s. I'm in the ballpark, using what I feel are the right size for this small, real Alnico 5 bar. To me, given the footprint of the pickup I honestly don't see how I can come any closer. Mids are slightly up, bass is tighter, treble and jangle-zone didn't shift as much as I thought it would.. P90 meets goldfoil meets JG.

I want to try the A4 with this. I see a set of C8 working out pretty well too.

I am one of the few that actually prefers low wind p90s like these. They will still bring the chain saw growl when cranked yet also do gorgeous cleans and will chime beautifully in the middle position. Low wind 90s are the bomb.

7 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

I am one of the few that actually prefers low wind p90s like these. They will still bring the chain saw growl when cranked yet also do gorgeous cleans and will chime beautifully in the middle position. Low wind 90s are the bomb.

My Shishkov pickup exactly, it's the pick attack that puts how much bite you want, it is really amazing!

25 minutes ago, Dutchman said:

If I understand correctly, 2 small magnets per pup? Do they hum cancel?

Not to speak for Josh, but, nope. 

Hum cancelling would require a second coil wound in the opposite direction to provide the yin to the noisy yang.

The two magnets are in keeping with the original P-90 construction.

88422-1f09f8b6fa9dfa83edeb570d624265c5.j

2 magnets yes, just like a normal P90. Hum canceling, no. These are single coils.

To achieve hb they would need to be either 2 coils stacked, a dual-blade style, or side-by-side coil type, with the best of these styles already available as a stacked coil from Kinman Pickups and either Duncan or DiMarzio or Fralin or Barden for the dual blades.

I'm not sure I could improve on the Kinman design because it's excellent! For anyone looking for humcanceling single coils types, save yourself the trouble and throw your money at Kinman right away. I mean it. As for the blade/rail types, they're a pain in the ass to make and that combined with only crappy parts available to me and that I never really liked those types of pickups in the first place: I guess I ran out of fucks with those dual rail thing.

The side-by-side version works with bass but not with guitar. If one does a bluesy bend on the G or D it pushes the string into a dark chasm of magnetic disparity and the note suffers a -3 to -5 db gain loss for a moment, which sounds extremely uncool. For bass tho, side-by-side humbucking single coils ala Jazz Bass or Single Coil Precision Bass styles -- that is pure gold and sounds delicious.

Just now, bubs_42 said:

@JGravelinwell, I seemed to have asked you in a past to whip me up a single sized P90. Its nice to hear you have unlocked Pandoras box one again. Next challenge is to put mount that pup on a Telecaster Mount. 

Yes you did and yes I have. And also yes, I can 100% build this into a Telecaster or typical Stratocaster pickup footprint. It'll take a few more parts and increased cost as such, but it can be done.

9 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

@JGravelinwell, I seemed to have asked you in a past to whip me up a single sized P90. Its nice to hear you have unlocked Pandoras box one again. Next challenge is to put mount that pup on a Telecaster Mount. 

Josh's pickups are the SHIT! 

THIS would be a rockin’ Tele pup! 

My box from Josh is here!!!!  I'm SOMEBODY now!!!!  Woo-Hoo! 

Josh, you are great to deal with, no more screwing around with bozos for me!  Thanks a ton!  -Rich

Archived