Hamer Fan Club Message Center

SoloDallas pedal

Dutchman

I was learning a few Neil Giraldo songs and trying to get that sharp spank tone he gets. Ton's of harmonic's, just great tasty tone.

So I started digging into his gear and the Shaffer box came up. 

Has anyone tried one yet? The big name for this box is Angus for his back in black tone was a discovery in this tone search also. Not cheap but not out of reach either! Any reviews appreciated!!! 

https://solodallas-shop.com/products/the-schaffer-replica-classic-pedal

I have the white Solo-X and it is the cat's ass for pushing humbuckers and Marshall'ey tones to the next level. Check out this vid and keep in mind he's getting exceptional results NOT using humbuckers.

Schaffer/Solo Dallas was the next level in wireless with a preamp to drive or level the signal. This creates a change in the tone at adds attributes to your signal. Same but different as the Echoplex or any other line driver/signal boost does. You may like it, you may not, but its not "Magic". 

Learn the history: https://ampsandaxes.com/amps-axes-145-ken-schaffer

Angus, Eddie, almost every giant artist through the 70's that used wireless on a big stage. I was just talking to a friend last week that has two JMP 50 watt half stacks and was trying to get away form pedals. He bought a couple of those new dual stage "Hot Mods" and fell in love with the first stage and thought the second stage was too much. He just wanted little more, so I recommend the Solo Dallas to stay with the period of tone he was trying to cop. I'll see him this week and ask him if he ordered it yet. 

16 hours ago, Dutchman said:

I was learning a few Neil Giraldo songs and trying to get that sharp spank tone he gets. Ton's of harmonic's, just great tasty tone.

So I started digging into his gear and the Shaffer box came up. 

Has anyone tried one yet? The big name for this box is Angus for his back in black tone was a discovery in this tone search also. Not cheap but not out of reach either! Any reviews appreciated!!! 

https://solodallas-shop.com/products/the-schaffer-replica-classic-pedal

I have the Solodallas Schaffer Replica STORM. It is a developed Classic. Pretty much the same pedal but with an opto compressor that I think they found out was in the original Schaffer but missed to put in the Classic. From reviews it seems the two pedals sound similar but the Storm has a bit more mids, and the opto comp option.

It is a great pedal to juice my Marshalls just a little extra. At first I could not get what the fuss was all about, as I thought it was to fizzy and changed the sound to much. It really sounded like I had a gain pedal in my signal chain. Then I opened the pedal up and messed with the internal trim pot. I found that to my liking I set it very low. That makes the pedal sound more organic and sweet. Now I love it. Just gives that extra touch of brightness and drive. Almost like I don't hear it when it's on. But when I turn it off I really hear that it is gone.  

Do you remember that old stereo amps and receivers used to have a Loudness control? That is how I find this pedal to work, at it's best. It brings out something in the guitar sound, makes it a little bigger and better, without changing the original sound and feel. But the internal trimpot was set to high at it's factory setting. It made the pedal sound to gainy and artificial.

https://solodallas-shop.com/products/storm-d-2019

Edit:

1 hour ago, Dutchman said:

So are you all putting this as the 1st in the chain? Or have you found it works better before or after certain other pedals?

I am a lazy sod. Never tried any pedal in front or after another one to see if it sounds better or worse, only if my wah wah sounds better before or after my fuzz. Other than that it's all coincidence I guess (perhaps I've given it some thought though). But it sounds good.

1st ToneBone Big Shot PB1 class A boost and buffer, 2nd old ColorSound SupaWah, 3rd SoloDallas STORM, 4th Fulltone Catalyst Fuzz. These go in to a 4 channel looper where I have: Supa Puss delay, old DOD 575 flanger, EXH Bad Stone phaser reissue, old Tremulator tremolo, EBS Bass IQ auto wah (best auto wah for guitar if you want a Mutron like sound).

The STORM sounds great in this chain. I hope I done it right. Not gonna mess with it anyway, to lazy. 🙂

Archived