Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Sadness.

hamerhead

Question

I thought today would be a good day to finally get some speakers mounted to the wall, so I set the brackets on the coffee table next to the couch where a pile of pillows lovingly cradles my Shishkov. Guess what fell off the coffee table.

DSCN9745 (2).JPG

It's not much, and I knew it had to happen one day, but dammit all anyways. It's down to the wood and right on the edge.

I know my skill level, so an invisible fix isn't an option. But I would like to protect the exposed wood. HELP!

I’ve seen people use really thin applications of super glue or clear nail polish to cover exposed wood. I have no personal experience with that as I would just leave it and continue my natural relic’ing process over the next few years. 

I’m sorry that happened, but I can relate. The dorsal fin on 0006 hits EVERYTHING. I play it often and hard and dings come with the territory when Iam the owner. I am always amazed when I buy a used Hamer that is showroom perfect and the owner tells me they played it often. I TRY to be careful, but to no avail. My guitars get dinged and scratched. Even 0006.

I remember the intoxicating feeling (and smell) when I first opened the case on 0006. It was PERFECT in every way. I remember thinking, somewhat resignedly, “It  won’t stay this way long.”

<sigh>

I know the sinking feeling. Been there more than once. And not unlike the first rock chip on the new car. Inevitable, unless locked up in the case in the vault.

I agree with the comment about how many great guitars, Hamer and otherwise,  have survived years without a visible mark of consequence. It makes me wonder how many great moments were NOT enjoyed by reason  of fear of leaving a mark that might damage the value.....

Shoot.....maybe the value went UP now that it is a relic!

Hey, it lost it's first bar fight. Now it can go to the blues jam with some street cred, you should see the other guy!

Now you don't have to go tip toeing.

It's cool, it's a natural relicing process, and it looks real. I had a fender tweed champ amp in 1987/8 that was in mint condition, except someone (not me) left a cigarette burn hole on it. When I did the second one, I was like, oh well, there is a bleeping story there, rather than a pussy boy closet queen. Experience!! That is a great thing. I know you bought the thing to play, and guess what, your heirs will see it was well loved and played. No risk, no life, it will sound even better. 

4 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

I’m sorry that happened, but I can relate. The dorsal fin on 0006 hits EVERYTHING. I play it often and hard and dings come with the territory when Iam the owner. I am always amazed when I buy a used Hamer that is showroom perfect and the owner tells me they played it often. I TRY to be careful, but to no avail. My guitars get dinged and scratched. Even 0006.

I remember the intoxicating feeling (and smell) when I first opened the case on 0006. It was PERFECT in every way. I remember thinking, somewhat resignedly, “It  won’t stay this way long.”

<sigh>

I love this, it is so true! 

The first ding or scratch is Always the hardest to take, whether it be cars or guitars.

As you can see, while it's not a Shishkov, I'm being super extra double careful anyway:

12ver 2.jpeg

7 hours ago, hamerhead said:

next to the couch where a pile of pillows lovingly cradles my Shishkov.

This makes me think of the scene from the hilarious movie, "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" when Steve Martin wakes up with John Candy spooning him.  "Where is your other hand?," Steve Martin asks.  "Between two pillows," John Candy replies.  "THOSE AREN'T PILLOWS!"

38 minutes ago, Travis said:

That’s what I’m going to name my band!!!

Let me do the logo!! "Up next the alt country hit "dented my Martin" from PBCQ!! See them on tour! Or Cry!!!

I should show you the battle scars on Standard Bass #0531.

I used to get upset about it, but now it's a 40 y/o instrument so....

2 hours ago, Travis said:

That’s what I’m going to name my band!!!

😆😆👉🏼👍🏼🤙🏼👍🏼👈🏼

On 1/30/2021 at 7:53 PM, Northfield said:

@hamerheadgive me a call tomorrow and we’ll get it taken care of. No worries my friend! 

Holy crap! Thanks, Mike!

I bet Fender and Gibson don't have customer service like that.

Archived