Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The Rosewood Neck Craze

kjq69

Well........

I was ready to build #4 & #5. I had 2 more billets of that great Mahogany with the "Flame African" tops like #2......My concept would be one single cut, one double cut, both with Solid Rosewood necks and bound in tortoise shell. I had my binding, but just could not imagine these 2 guitars with "Black" pickup Rings".........I will figure that out later!!!.........

I started both of these bodies at the same time. I had the misfortune of uncovering a "Knot" in the double cut guitar. I was so disappointed that I proceeded with just the  Single Cut. The "Plagued" body sat for almost 4 years until a friend of mine said, "What's wrong with this cool guitar body???".....I pointed out the knot in the top and how it was just bugging me and he replied..."Get over it"!!!!...........I decided to finish it and instead of being #5 it turned out to be #14...........#4 went to a pro musician and #14 went to a collector ........

#4....Mahogany Body & Top - Clear Nitro / Solid Madagascar Rosewood Neck, Fret Board & Cover Plates / MOP Thumb Nails / Seth Lovers

#14....Mahogany Body & Top Vintage Orange Tint Nitro / Solid Madagascar Rosewood Neck, Fret Board & Cover Plates / Gold MOP Thumb Nails & Nut / Parson Street PAF's (sounded amazing in this guitar)

As for the pickup rings, you tell me ~

#4 Body.JPG

#4 Front.JPG

#4 back.JPG

#4 HS I.JPG

#4 signature I.jpg

I am amazed at some of the craftsmanship of a few folks up here, and those look fantastic.  The imperfection on #14 is like Cindy Crawford's mole.

I lucked into a Stingray 5 string bass with a solid rosewood neck, and it has a really great sound (that low B through an SVT 8-10 is ridiculous).  I'd wager those two sounded really nice.

A big thumbs up on both of them.....As well as for rosewood necks. To me, they bring a whole "richer" dimension to the tone and a great sustain across the whole tone range.

I absolutely Love the rosewood necks and the tortoise shell rings.

Does anyone make matching tortoise shell Vol/Tone knobs?

Thank you!!!........

Here is a close up of the infamous "Knot"......and few others from the build......wish I documented more of it ~

14 Knot.jpg

#14 f hole raw R.JPG

14 Build R.JPG

Electronics Cavity R.JPG

36 minutes ago, BubbaVO said:

I like it.   I can’t hardly tell AAAA flame maple tops from each other.  That knot makes for a truly unique instrument. Think  Cindy Crawford’s mole or Lauren huttons teeth. 

That would be AKKA Knotty Flame I think..."wood"'n't it?? 🤔:lol:

Thumbprint inlays...  hmmm... 

That knot could be covered with a G brand or a kjq equivalent.  Problem solved. 

Then there is an inlay of a dolphin... 

A medallion embedded into the wood... 

A monkey grip style handle... 

A Mercedes hood ornament... 

Solid finish... 

Just leave it as is and let someone play the guitar to find out if the knot really matters. 

6 hours ago, HSB0531 said:

That would be AKKA Knotty Flame I think..."wood"'n't it?? 🤔:lol:

🤔....no, its not that

(My kids say that to me all the time.  I have no idea what it means.   Didn’t want to say it, but I felt I owed it to you.  🤪)

Archived