Hamer Fan Club Message Center

First Post and Big Question

Teh

Hi All,

Signed up up for the HFC the other day and have spent the time since reading through the threads to get a feel for the place and do a little research on a question that came up last week. I'm hoping you guys can help me out...

First, a brief bio: I'm your typical guy in his mid-forties who played a lot in 70's and early 80's, then got busy with life and hung the guitar up for the next fifteen years. Got back into playing about five years ago, but have been focusing my efforts primarily on acoustic work. Own a bunch of acoustics, and your standard Les Paul, Strat, and a Washburn jazz box. I play lead in an acoustic trio and am also building up a set list to try my hand at the occassional solo "Weekend Warrior" bar type stuff.

Back in January, I registered on WorkshopLive.com in the hopes of picking up some tips to improve my Blues and Rock chops. At the same time, they had a contest going that I also signed up for. Well, I got an email last week telling me that I won the Grand Prize -- A custom built Hamer!!!! Knowing Hamer only from the standard Rick Neilson / Andy Summers association, and the fact that Dave's Guitar and bunch of other shops picked them up after the Gibson fiasco and were raving about them, I started digging into the research to find out more.

Which brings me here... So here's the question --

If you had the chance to design the ultimate Hamer, what would you do? I'm not a shredder, so I'm thinking the Standard and Vector are out of the question. I'm looking for something that's going to be pretty versatile -- Nice clean jazz tones, but able to handle it when I turn up the gain. Options are wide open -- Model, pickups and electronics, woods, whatever. I love the look of the Lyle Workman custom in the Design Gallery, but I'm thinking only one F hole instead of two...

Any help and guidance you guys can give would be greatly appreciated!!!

Hey and welcome to the forum.

I think what you are after is an Artist. Very versatile guitar there. Jazz, blues, and rock are no prob with that guitar. Very sweet guitars indeed. There are many appointments you can get on an Artist so depending on your prize limit you could get a killer one made for you. Nice prize by the way!

That is easy, you should custom order a set neck Chapparal in dayglo dragonskin finish, with a single humbucker, short scale, floyd rose and "I"ll offer you $350" inlayed on the neck, the perfect Jazz box........ Just kidding

Congratulations on winning the contest. I am sure you will get lots of advice on Monaco here as there are some very nice custom orders that have been done and some very happy owners.

Peter.

Congratuations and welcome to the HFC.

Artist Ultimate with custom options.

A bound f-hole looks very nice.

But also a Newport custom or custom Monaco (or Monaco III) might fit you well. Do you have a preference with regards to scale length?

Gabe :lol:

Sounds like an Artist Custom would be a good fit for you. I'm not sure what pickups you would want to put in it though; The 59 might be o.k. in the neck for jazz, but the JB in the bridge...not so much. Maybe a 59'-59' combo?

I 'll also suggest either an Artist Custom or Ultimate. My Artist Custom has become my favorite guitar, which is quite a feat considering how attached I am to the former # 1.

I wonder how an Artist would sound with the thickness of a Newport body. Hmmm.

Hamer WILL do it - I've already asked.

Congrats and welcome!

Don't rule out the Vector and the Standard, just because you don't consider yourself "a shredder."

These are designs that are almost 50 years old; played by thousands of artists (and even more non-artists) who don't or can't shred any more than you can.

"I'm not a 'Pointy Guitar Guy'" is one of those phrases that often falls into the "Famous Last Words" category. Play one and you might find out that you are.

Congratulations! I signed up for that promotion as well and had some fun daydreams of what I'd order if I'd won it.

Since you play some jazz you might consider the Improv. It is a very small jazz box and Hamer's top of the line and there is something like a two year wait for one to be built, but it is an heirloom quality instrument, and reviewers have raved about its sound and flexibility.

Go visit the Willcutt site for a nice overview of Hamer's guitars to give yourself some ideas.

Have fun!

-Jonathan

Congratulations! and Welcome!

Lyle Workman's guitar does look like a nice piece don't it? I think I would shoot for a Monaco lll with an Ultimate maple top either ultimate or multistripe binding f holes included and Lollar P90's or may antiquities. That would cover the greatest tone and bling variety IMO.

ArneiZ

Don't rule out the Vector and the Standard, just because you don't consider yourself "a shredder."

These are designs that are almost 50 years old; played by thousands of artists (and even more non-artists) who don't or can't shred any more than you can.

"I'm not a 'Pointy Guitar Guy'" is one of those phrases that often falls into the "Famous Last Words" category. Play one and you might find out that you are.

I have to agree with Kizanski on this.

I recently bought my first pointy guitar and it is much more comfortable to play and plays much lighter than would've imagined.

DSC05599.jpg

Despite this fact, 'd still go for an customized Artist, Newport or Monaco (III), maybe with a Korina body and an ulimate flame or quilt top. Bound f-hole(s).

Gabe :lol:

Spend some time looking at the Hamer Catalog and looking at Willcutt's for the eye candy and ideas. I would sugest as improv width double bound Monaco III with a maple top and matching carved back bound f holes five ply binding. basically a combination of the Improv, the Matt Smith Newport and the Lyle Workman Monaco. That's my suggestion. Congratulations on winning a great guitar.

Congratulations and welcome!

Let's see, I believe that the suggestions so far have covered EVERY HAMER OFFERED, so much for narrowing it down... :lol: The problem is in the phrase "If you had the chance to design the ultimate Hamer, what would you do?". Guys see that and start replying immediately without seeing the rest of your requirements for the guitar.

If, as you say, you're looking for versatility and jazzability I'd agree with those that recommend an Artist. It is amazingly versatile and CAN go from Jazzalicious to big and crunchy.

If you are able to, I would go into a shop that carries Hamers and test drive a variety of Artists to see if you like mahogany or korina, hums or P-90's. The Artist Ultimate is a beautiful guitar. Personally I can't imagine it could sound any better than my Korina Artist. :)

Wow, that's starting at the top!!!!

Versatility in a Hamer? Duotone or Artist for a smaller body, Monaco III for a larger one.

My desert Island Hamer is a Duotone.

Curiosity is killing me. There were no parameters as to what you could/could not request for a guitar? No price cap? No stipulations about "stock" models? I mean first off, there are a lot of guitars that Hamer just won't build. I doubt they'd offer to build *anything* as a prize for a contest, it would just hang them out too far. Like giving away a blank check. (If they've done so, geez, get a 5-neck Improv/Virtuoso/Maestro/Impact/B12!)

BTW - Congrats! :lol:

(Edited to make my recommended custom order even more ludicrous LOL.)

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I'm leaning toward the Monaco or Artist, but definitely need to play them first.

As for limitations or guidelines, I'm still waiting to talk with someone at Hamer to figure out what the limitations are. I should be getting a call sometime this week and will know more then...

Congrats!!! That is a great prize!

Get an Artist or Monaco III with a flame or birdseye top, but its gotta be blue. :lol: and Crown inlays starting at the 1st fret.

Archived