Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Something, Something, Wicked, etc, etc.

JGale

I'm revving up to do a replacement of the entire front end of a Hafler DH-200 audio amplifier, where there's a well documented and designed set of boards with a completely new circuit.  Just keep the chassis, the power supply + caps, and the output mosfets.

With the projects you're doing, I see that they'll sell you the boards, but are you independently getting the box and components from various places?  My Hafler kit included a project shopping cart for Mouser, which was incredibly convenient even if there are a few back-ordered and replacement components.

Just wondering what a project like yours costs, all in, and how easy the parts can be found.  It would be good practice and fun too.

On 2/3/2021 at 1:45 PM, gtrdaddy said:

A tone report on this is required. Did you get the housing from AMZ too?

Here ya go. His recording is kinda dark sounding. This pedal is anything but,.

Wicked, big in-your-face tweed tone. It does clean up nicely with the resistor lifted that grounds the opposite end of the tone stack, sort of like the Vertex Steel String (similar circuit), but with more gain available, but who cares?! Big, beautiful Tweed tone!

On 2/12/2021 at 12:15 PM, Toadroller said:

With the projects you're doing, I see that they'll sell you the boards, but are you independently getting the box and components from various places?  My Hafler kit included a project shopping cart for Mouser, which was incredibly convenient even if there are a few back-ordered and replacement components.

Just wondering what a project like yours costs, all in, and how easy the parts can be found.  It would be good practice and fun too.

I try to buy a kit when they are available. In the case of the AMZ Tweed Stack, only the PCB is available from Jack Orman's site; Muzique.com. The enclosure came from any number of places: Small Bear, Bitches Love My Switches, Guitar Pedal Parts, etc. Most of them you have to drill yourself (pain in the ass). You can get predrilled enclosures from Tayda Electronics in Thailand and BYOC in the US. I try to buy the best resistors and caps I can find.

I have  not put together a total cost for a pedal where I source all the parts.  Mouser is a good source and they ship fast, but I have been buying from GPP when I can, 'cuz he has good shit meng. A recent order for a pedal that did not contain enclosure was $45. The PCB was $10. Enclosures are $8 or thereabouts. I consider AION Electronics kits to be a good deal at c.$84 each. You get a finished enclosure, predrilled and a spate of hi-quality components. If your unsure of this, they have some beginners kits like Azimuth OD for $78.

It sounds really nice. Just two days ago, I had refurbished my 40 years old record player electronically. A Dual CS626. All capacitors have been replaced and the whole player cleaned up. It would still need some tweaking to have the automation back up running. I had bought a DIY repair set the other day. 
You are pretty busy soldering for a while. Keep on posting. 

Gorch,

A couple years ago I bought a Dual CS627Q off Ebay for $70 and fixed it up. I didnt do caps but it still sounded better than my Sansui. I did have to fabricate a new Steuerpimpel ( no, I didn't make that word up!) out of a part from a writing pen and replace the central automatic gear thingy that I found NOS for $26. It all works great now. It has a cool feature on the auto return where it shorts out the audio signal to silence at the end of the record right before you would normally hear the mechanism through the cartridge/stylus microphonics. Still running my old Empire   2000 E/III cartridge with a new Japanese replacement stylus or a NOS replacement a friend gave me. They both sounded similar in listening tests.

It's fun to see the electro mechanical engineering involved back then, kind of steam punk compare to modern electronics.

Archived