Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Strutter demo

DaveH

1 hour ago, DaveH said:

This is the version that *should* have been on the album:

Yep, damn good. I also like the Alive version and strangely enough the Strutter '78 version. .

Ace is experimenting with some of his favorite solo licks in this demo.

27 minutes ago, Montelovesco said:

The lead lines in the outro - Ace recycled them somewhere else, just can't say where... On the Elder? 

Oh, yes, I know, he does this more than ones.

Some of them are on Alive! during his solo and on Let Me Know on the first album as well as on Parasite. 

13 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

I just listened to Ace's Origins Vol1 and there are some gems on there. A very Punchy, more driven version of Parasite. 

Thanks for posting. I wasn’t aware that existed. Parasite is actually my favorite KISS song. Not the most popular choice, I know. But it’s just got a certain groove I like 

12 minutes ago, Travis said:

Thanks for posting. I wasn’t aware that existed. Parasite is actually my favorite KISS song. Not the most popular choice, I know. But it’s just got a certain groove I like 

Full album:

I'll get slagged for this but, I'd rather listen to Ace solo than Kiss. Frehley's Comet, Solo, it doesn't matter, he is the shit and has some great collaborators. 

Just now, bubs_42 said:

Yup, just listened to it. Cool version. Mixed a little differently than I might have. But I liked it. 

I dig it and yes, I prefer the Alive version better than their first album version. More raw and Rock n Roll. Say what you will about the deception of the studio edits and dubs to Alive, it truly captured the excitement of a live show as best one can using only audio to do so.

After I started getting serious about playing guitar, Ace's playing always made me wince a little. It's well suited to the songs but he never made me stop and go, "what was that!?!"  Closest I ever came to being impressed was his triplet runs in Love Gun.

1 hour ago, bubs_42 said:

Full album:

I'll get slagged for this but, I'd rather listen to Ace solo than Kiss. Frehley's Comet, Solo, it doesn't matter, he is the shit and has some great collaborators. 

New York Groove has been in regular rotation at my office for the past few weeks...

C'mom and love me 🤘😛🤘

She's a dancer, a romancer
I'm a Capricorn and she's a Cancer
She saw my picture in a music magazine 

When she met me, said she'd get me
Touched her hips and told me that she'd let me
I took her hand, baby this is what I said...

I said baby, baby, don't you hesitate
'Cause I just can't wait
Lady, won't you take me down to my knees
You can do what you please
C'mon and love me 

3 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

Full album:

Feat John 5. Nice!

ETA: As I listened to this I was wondering who was singing the vocals. So I wikid it and found it was Ace. I don't remember Ace' vocals being that aggressive on his solo album. In fact, I remember being very disappointed in each solo album the 4 of them released way back and never listened to them more than a few times. Anyone want to chime in?

7 minutes ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

Feat John 5. Nice!

Was that John 5 doing the overkill solo? Sorry, but it's not as good as the Alive! version. I know J5 is a great player but he just creeps me out for some reason. Maybe it was his past association with Manson or something. 

3 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

Full album:

Ace is responsible for pushing KISS to make good music during the first 3 albums. A lot of people talk smack about him as if he isn't any good, mostly your Alan Holdsworth, Steve Howe fan music snobs. I get it, Ace isn't a virtuoso but he is a stellar riffmaster and more influential than most of the critiques favorites. He was the best musician of  the original lineup. 

Sometimes when I am listening to my own recordings, I realize what a huge influence that he has on my playing.  Dime worshipped Ace. That's good enough for me. 

On 2/5/2021 at 8:59 AM, Travis said:

Oh, Parasite is a big fave here.  Side 2 of Hotter is also killer!

Thanks for posting OP.  I really dig that version.

On 2/5/2021 at 12:37 PM, Ting Ho Dung said:

Feat John 5. Nice!

ETA: As I listened to this I was wondering who was singing the vocals. So I wikid it and found it was Ace. I don't remember Ace' vocals being that aggressive on his solo album. In fact, I remember being very disappointed in each solo album the 4 of them released way back and never listened to them more than a few times. Anyone want to chime in?

I really dug the Ace record, still have it on cd.  It got heavy rotation back in the day, once in a long time now.  I didn't care for the others.

I'm curious, what didn't you like about the Ace effort?

1 hour ago, Kookaburra said:

I really dug the Ace record, still have it on cd.  It got heavy rotation back in the day, once in a long time now.  I didn't care for the others.

I'm curious, what didn't you like about the Ace effort?

Dammit man. You're going to make me go back and listen to it now aren't you? :lol:

On 2/5/2021 at 12:28 PM, Travis said:

New York Groove has been in regular rotation at my office for the past few weeks...

That's a great tune! Really like it. 

On 2/5/2021 at 12:20 PM, diablo175 said:

I prefer the Alive version better than their first album version.

True for me on all the tunes, w/ the exception of 100,000 Years.

Archived