Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Excuse my gloating.

bubs_42

I really hate it when somebody feels like they have to post on every single social media site that they got a new piece of gear, but damn it this is just too cool and I have been keeping this under the radar since Jan of 2020. 

If you check out Dr Z's AMA on Joe Walsh he mentions a couple of amps that Joe used on the very first Hell Freezes Over Tour. I now own one of those amps, it had seen a lot of wear and was almost destroyed by UPS in late 2019. On a wing and a prayer, I bought it as a joint purchase with my wife so I had to be sure I really wanted it. LOL After a long year, I sent it to Dr. Z for a repair, I knew it need some work by the looks of the guts, but I didn't really know the extent of what the Doc was going to have to do. He did all the work himself to bring it back form the dead. For that I am forever in debt to him, it sounds amazing and THAT makes it all worth while, because I want to be able to use what I own and not just stare at it. 

The cab was icing on the cake, I had never seen a Dr Z open back cabinet from that era ever until this one showed up and it looks like they were made as a set. Perfect Match, down to the tint of the valences. 

In my 55 years working on tube amps I have never done so much to repair one amp.
Normally I would have said forget it this amp way to damaged and needs way too much work.
But since it had the Joe Walsh connection, (see video from the Eagles HOF induction, only the knobs were changed ) I felt compelled to try my best. Well it was a complete rebuild , the chassis was bent so bad I had to completely disassemble the amp to straighten it .
Once I started to re-assemble I completely removed all the excess solder from the various repair attempts from years past, remember this is a 25 year old amp. I got it working and then attempted to get the best sound out it I could.
It did sound very good when I finished and I'm glad dubs digs it and appreciates how I brought this classic amp back from the dead.

Z

W8juhqc.jpg

Killer!  Congrats!  

Play the hell out of it!  And let us know when you get bored with it and want to move it along.

oh yeah, aaaaannnndddd dibs. 😜

That's freaking awesome, Shawn!

On 2/5/2021 at 6:42 PM, bubs_42 said:

I really hate it when somebody feels like they have to post on every single social media site that they got a new piece of gear

Thou shall not post new gear on every single social media. Thou shall only post on the HFC

3 hours ago, Disturber said:

Thou shall not post new gear on every single social media. Thou shall only post on the HFC

I held this one to the HFC, Ztalk and my personal Facebook Page. Not too bad I guess, but I did figure you guys would enjoy the story. 

Dang! That's one heck of a story. Very thankful that UPS didn't completely destroy it. They really can do a number on things sometimes.  What model is that? All I can find online now is the Joe Walsh model Dr. Z amp... everywhere.

Archived