Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The Dirty Knobs

mudshark

I had a 92 Firebird like that. I was going to change the banjo tuners to the more modern style and I noticed a yellowing around the edges of the tuners where they meet flush to the headstock. At first I thought that the previous owner was a heavy smoker and that it was tobacco stains so I tried to gently clean around it. 

The store that I bought it from said that the discoloration was common on white Firebirds. 

There is something about the way the body hangs that didn't sit well with me, so I sold it. Love the shape though. 

I had tickets to see them locally last spring, and that was rescheduled for September.   I finally got a refund a few weeks ago, but will definitely see them when they eventually come around.  I first caught the Dirty Knobs back in 2002 as Ron Blair's guest.  We didn't realize at the time that Mike was seeing if Ron's chops were up to snuff enough to rejoin the Heartbreakers, since Howie was really going downhill fast.  I got a super cool souvenir from Ron that night that was my keychain for a decade or more.

DirtyKnobs.jpg

On 2/5/2021 at 6:26 PM, 79Sunburst said:

I had a 92 Firebird like that. I was going to change the banjo tuners to the more modern style and I noticed a yellowing around the edges of the tuners where they meet flush to the headstock. At first I thought that the previous owner was a heavy smoker and that it was tobacco stains so I tried to gently clean around it. 

The store that I bought it from said that the discoloration was common on white Firebirds. 

There is something about the way the body hangs that didn't sit well with me, so I sold it. Love the shape though. 

Yeah those Firebirds are cool looking but like the Gibson SG and Fender Telecaster I have never been able to bond with any of those either. I owned one Firebird.................white like that one with gold hardware. I liked the sound and the looks but i just couldn't make it work for me so I sold it 3 months later. Mike Campbell is a fabulous player!

Such a great guitar album. So good and refreshing to hear...and a Firebird....? I have always wanted one because I love the pickups and the shape is just a curvy Explorer.....

Great album and every song could have been on a TP album IMO.  After hearing his voice, I was really surprised that Mike never sang in the Heartbreakers.  My guess is he sounded too much like Tom.  This is a funny video and great song:

Ok...IIRC...in the TP bio, they explain that Mike cut a solo record and Tom asked him to not release it cause he sounded too much like TP on vocals....regardless, this album sounds great to me. 

4 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

Ok...IIRC...in the TP bio, they explain that Mike cut a solo record and Tom asked him to not release it cause he sounded too much like TP on vocals....regardless, this album sounds great to me. 

Well, that makes sense and I agree.

On 2/8/2021 at 9:26 AM, tommy p said:

Great album and every song could have been on a TP album IMO.  After hearing his voice, I was really surprised that Mike never sang in the Heartbreakers.  My guess is he sounded too much like Tom.  This is a funny video and great song:

Actually, he sang “I Don’t Wanna Fight” on Echo.

Archived