Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Never heard of these guys. Airbourne. Somewhere between Ted Nugent and old AC/DC

Yup, got several of their albums saved on my Amazon prime. My 3.5 year old likes “Back in the Game”...

1 minute ago, Travis said:

Yup, got several of their albums saved on my Amazon prime. My 3.5 year old likes “Back in the Game”...

These guys are high energy. Still watching it. Had to take a break and blow a bowl. 

I'm sure I'm biased being a massive AC/DC fan, I don't think there's any comparison.  I've tried to like these guys and have every album except the last one.  I've listened to them over and over, put them away for a while, and tried again and never warm up to them.  Tons of energy but no groove at all (to me) and the vocals are 100% Angry Anderson, 0% Bon or Brian.  I think people just hear "hard rock from Australia = AC/DC" but for me, eeeeh, not so much.  I know there are also 2 brothers in the band which invites the comparison too.  YMMV.

23 hours ago, tommy p said:

Being a massive AC/DC fan, I don't think there's any comparison.  I've tried to like these guys and have every album except the last one.  I've listened to them over and over, put them away for a while, and tried again and never warm up to them.  Tons of energy but no groove at all (to me) and the vocals are 100% Angry Anderson, 0% Bon or Brian.  I think people just hear "hard rock from Australia = AC/DC" but for me, eeeeh, not so much.  I know there are also 2 brothers in the band which invites the comparison too.  YMMV.

My comparison to AC/DC was simply the energy, especially from the lead guy, this band has. His vocals remind me of early Nuge which is why I threw him in there. Also, the energy is Nuge like. I didn't know they were from down under until it was mentioned above. I'm not sure I'd buy their album(s) or play them much. I just thought they were cool while on a Whacken bender the other day. I was watching the video again a bit and noticed the brothers on that run. I was thinking they were twins and thought of the Matthes brothers. 

Yeah, they have buckets of energy but not much in the way of hooks or memorable songs IMO.  They remind me of two comedians I really dislike: Dane Cook and Kevin Hart.  Neither one of has ever said a single thing I thought was funny but they are over the top loud and manic in their performance.  They've done extremely well with it so good for them I guess.

2 hours ago, tommy p said:

Yeah, they have buckets of energy but not much in the way of hooks or memorable songs IMO.  They remind me of two comedians I really dislike: Dane Cook and Kevin Hart.  Neither one of has ever said a single thing I thought was funny but they are over the top loud and manic in their performance.  They've done extremely well with it so good for them I guess.

That pretty much nails it. I like anyone who smashes a beer against his head though. 

On 2/8/2021 at 9:02 AM, tommy p said:

Being a massive AC/DC fan, I don't think there's any comparison.  I've tried to like these guys and have every album except the last one.  I've listened to them over and over, put them away for a while, and tried again and never warm up to them.  Tons of energy but no groove at all (to me) and the vocals are 100% Angry Anderson, 0% Bon or Brian.  I think people just hear "hard rock from Australia = AC/DC" but for me, eeeeh, not so much.  I know there are also 2 brothers in the band which invites the comparison too.  YMMV.

I've spent ~three or so hours looking these guys up and listening to their stuff dating back to 2009.  Tommy's synopsis is pretty much where I am.  Not sure there's "no groove at all" for me, but it's definitely lacking to the point that the songs become a bit tiresome halfway through.  Almost as if the riffs and rhythms were assembled in rote fashion by formula or template versus feel.  To wit, YT kept "suggesting" AC/DC's "Shoot to Thrill", so eventually I clicked on that one to see if my ears would identify the difference without me overthinking it (Who hasn't listened to that song a thousand times?)

The contrast (beyond the vocal timbre) was stark and immediate. AC/DC's songs, while relatively simple, have a certain rhythmic groove in which the drums/bass and both guitars play different things yet mesh together in a manner than moves the song along naturally. Having said that, it's still a solid rock band whose music shines in contrast to the urban noise and bowler-hat-hipster schlock that has dominated recent pop music offerings.  Those Marshall tones are right in the slot, too--just the right amount of gain,  mid-range clang, and chewiness.

Yeah, but he does smash a beer against his head. Props. queued up for your enjoyment.

ETA: I just found another concert of them at Rocketplast from 2010. They were playing the same guitars and he was wearing the same pants. :lol:

I added Airborne as "variety" to my AC/DC Pandora channel. Unfortunately, there was some short-lived boy band named "Airborne" that gets more rotation than the legit "Airborne". Makes for some very interesting song-to-song transitions. :mellow:

I want to like Airborne and I try them out again sometimes. The guitar tones are killer but - and I'm not sure if it's the songs or the vibe but it's just not enough to sustain my interest past a 1:50 or so no matter how much I try to love it. They do rock tho yes! I'm not sure exactly why this doesn't stick to me personally, but it just doesn't. It's just me tho so who cares. I hope they keep rocking forth and as long as they do I'll keep giving them another shot.

Archived