Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Boss ME-80

rugby1970

The Boss ME series pedals are great. They sound really good, and the ME-80 has much more discrete switching control than the earlier ME-50. Its a great one stop shop for your entire sound, with separate controls for everything.

Are you doing to be using it through phones, or through an amp? It doesn't have cabinet / amp mods like "guitar processing" pedals.

Hey Dave,

I would be using it through my amps. I don't need the amp/cab feature. I'm contemplating dumping my individual pedals and going for an all in one that I can program to cover a lot of sonic ground.

Don't get me wrong, I love my individual pedals but I just can't be tweaking them between songs. Or am I crazy?

BTW I've watched several videos but the sound is very thin.

If you want one, I'll send you an ME-50 to try out.

I liked it fine.  Kinda wish I had gotten into pedals to find the tones I wanted rather than modeling amps.  By the time I got this, I just didn't have the patience to learn how to use it right. That lack of patience was exacerbated by the fact that right about that time, I stumbled on a cheap Line 6 AMPLIFi, and found using my phone to tweak settings was the interface I liked best.  So this ME-50 has been sitting around doing nothing.

As I understand it, the ME-80 *does* have amp and cabinet emulations, the ME-50 doesn't.

18 minutes ago, rugby1970 said:

Hey Dave,

I would be using it through my amps. I don't need the amp/cab feature. I'm contemplating dumping my individual pedals and going for an all in one that I can program to cover a lot of sonic ground.

Don't get me wrong, I love my individual pedals but I just can't be tweaking them between songs. Or am I crazy?

BTW I've watched several videos but the sound is very thin.

Not on this demo:

a lot of the older demos were recorded poorly. I have a boss OD-20, which pretty much the OD section, and it rocks.

5 minutes ago, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said:

As I understand it, the ME-80 *does* have amp and cabinet emulations, the ME-50 doesn't.

It has a "preamp" COSM modeling section, but I don't know if it does the cabinet mod thing. 

Also, the world of pedals is INSANE right now. Every time I get another sweetwater catalog, there are 4 MORE pages of pedals. Even Fender has gotten into the game, using some NOS 6025 Sub Miniature preamp tubes they found.

57 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

The Boss ME series pedals are great. They sound really good, and the ME-80 has much more discrete switching control than the earlier ME-50. Its a great one stop shop for your entire sound, with separate controls for everything.

This. /\  

I used an ME 50 (bought from someone on here no less) for the better part of 10 years gigging with the cover band. It covered a lot of territory and held up to the rigors of abuse at shitty venues. Still have it. Likely won't ever go back to it because of the Axe FX 3 but it's a solid piece of gig gear.

Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 7.22.53 PM.png

I gigged with an ME for a couple years about 10 years ago with no regrets. Good, versatile, portable, affordable and reliable tool. Can't ask for better.

19 hours ago, rugby1970 said:

Any thoughts? Any personal reviews?

How deep do you want to go? I borrowed an ME-50 from our other guitar player and while it sounded good (like Boss pedals), it's very limited compared to the GT-series. I have an old GT-3 that I still use, and once you get inside of it there's really nothing it can't do. Does it sound as good as separate high-end pedals? In a bar - yes.

ME series= Intuitive, easy to use, sounds good

GT series= Steeper learning curve, tweak 'til the cows come home, sounds great when dialed in

13 minutes ago, hamerhead said:

How deep do you want to go? I borrowed an ME-50 from our other guitar player and while it sounded good (like Boss pedals), it's very limited compared to the GT-series. I have an old GT-3 that I still use, and once you get inside of it there's really nothing it can't do. Does it sound as good as separate high-end pedals? In a bar - yes.

ME series= Intuitive, easy to use, sounds good

GT series= Steeper learning curve, tweak 'til the cows come home, sounds great when dialed in

Interesting. Thanks

Archived