Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What Would You Do? * **

rugby1970

*Guitar Content*

**Non-Hamer Content**

A few months ago I took a 2003 G&L Legacy Deluxe, HSS configuration with RMC, to a local tech for a complete set up, etc. The tech offered to buy it on the spot for $600. I naturally declined. He then sweetened the deal by adding in another no-name guitar plus the cash. Again I declined. Fast forward to this morning, the tech texted me with a new deal: my G&L for a 2003 Les Paul Standard, even up. The Les Paul is in great condition, as is my Legacy Deluxe.

I'm going to check out the serial number of the Paul, of course. It weighs 9 lbs, AAA flamed top, C-shape neck. The guy is reputable and has a long established business with great reviews.

What would you do?

Do you have another Strat type? Do you need a Les Paul?  Only you know how attached you are to the G&L and if you would miss the Fender type.  I would ask @murkatto assess the quality of the 2003 Gibson  since he knows the good years and  not as good years.

I’d likely do it since I GREATLY prefer SSS Fender types.

Yeah, totally depends on what else you have and how attached you are to the G & L. If you’ve got another similar Strat style guitar and don’t have a Les Paul type, then I’d probably do the trade. 

The thing that has me curious is that his first offer was $600 and now he’s offering a straight up trade for a Les Paul. I don’t know about the 2003 standard’s value, but it seems like Les Pauls generally command a higher price than $600...

Just now, rugby1970 said:

I'm not attached to the G&L at all and I have that base covered if I wind up keeping my Mirage I.

Oh, yeah. Keep the Mirage and get the Les Paul. If you end up not liking it, you can always sell it and get something else. 

4 minutes ago, Travis said:

Yeah, totally depends on what else you have and how attached you are to the G & L. If you’ve got another similar Strat style guitar and don’t have a Les Paul type, then I’d probably do the trade. 

The thing that has me curious is that his first offer was $600 and now he’s offering a straight up trade for a Les Paul. I don’t know about the 2003 standard’s value, but it seems like Les Pauls generally command a higher price than $600...

Yes they do and a 2003 G&L Legacy Deluxe also commands a higher price than $600. That's why I declined the original offer.

17 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Is your G&L that rare?  If you were to sell the Les Paul could you buy another G&L like yours and have some extra cash in the end?

I agree.

I'd be tempted to take the deal and find another G&L, if I liked the Les Paul.  But on the other hand I've yet to find a Les Paul I liked well enough to buy (or justify the price on those I liked), while I do own and like a G&L. (It's an ASAT with P90s).   

I'd ask to play the Les Paul and see if I wanted to take it or the Legacy home. 

See if you like the Les Paul. I get the sense you are more 25.5 scale guy, right? If not and the paul is fine, jump it!

But put pics so we know you arent shanking us!

2 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

WWBD, this kind of thing seems to be up my alley. If your not attached tot he G&L and your not DEEP into it, then flip it for the LP, then flip the LP for $$, and go shopping. 

I like the way you think!

Man, I'd be all over that deal.  But then again, I'd take pretty much any Gibby over a Fender-y guit. Guess that's what happens when the only guitar you have to play for 24 yrs is a Tele (only have myself to blame for that...).

Archived