Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Marshall Studio Series

Does anyone have experience with the Marshall Studio amps?  They made the Plexi, JCM 800, and Silver Jubilee into small combos and quarter stacks.  They have printed circuit boards instead of point to point wiring, but Randall Smith at Boogie defended PCB construction years ago. 

I still want to shake walls once in a while to prove it can be done, but if the sound of these amps is in the ball park of what they are emulating the smaller size and lower volume would be nice.

I want a Marshall amp instead of a Marshall-ish amp. 

I have been looking at these since they came out. Greg Martin of the Kentucky Headhunts told me he loves them and uses them for recording and even smaller gigs. And that dude KNOWS plexis! Plenty to read up on at the Marshall Forum and YouTube comparison videos are plentiful. By all accounts they are still LOUD sound like their big brothers as they all use big bottle dual el34s in the power section.

I want one too.

I looked HARD at the Studio Classic jcm800 before I got my Budda. Still look at it on occasion. All the clips and videos I’ve seen of it have it sounding good, pretty much nails that mid to late 80’s jcm800 tone. 

2 things I came across in my internet deep dives were:

1) Dave Friedman had said that at the time, the original jcm800’s weren’t as great as everyone now thinks they were. Players back then apparently didn’t like them as much because they weren’t a plexi. And the vast majority of the GOOD ones were modded by guys like Jose, Lee Jackson, etc. 

2) I’m no amp builder but I listen to a lot of amp builders. They have mentioned that pcb and point to point can be made to sound indistinguishable from one another. The benefit you get from hand wired is that it is typically more durable and easier to repair if something does go wrong. Don’t have to replace the entire board. Plus, you’re paying more for the labor. If the amp is staying home or in a permanent spot in a studio I would think that the extra durability wouldn’t be as necessary. But if it’s amp that’s going to get tossed around a lot, then having something more road worthy would be more desirable. 

True PTP vs eyelet or turret boards vs PCB well lemne tell ya, most of my amps are hand wired. You want a board unless it is a very simple amp. 

Cry me a Magnatone rats nest of wires. You lose your marbles looking at em!

End of day, does it sound good?

There is the right way to do PCB and the wrong way. If you have ever opened a Blues Junior then you've seen he wrong way. EVERYTHING is board mounted including the tubes and it tight spaces where they are allowed to take the heat. Dave says the JCM's were not great, well I bet he has fucking made a MINT modding them to sound amazing. Slashes secret weapon is a modded JCM800, and if you want to hear a very good use of a stock JCM800 look no further than Charlie Starr from Blackberry Smoke. The JCM 800 is smoother on the Top End, Tighter on the bottom end and if you are going to goose it with a pedal and not take the gain too high then you will find the magic of a JCM 800. 

Back to the OP, the Studio 20 Series is pretty solid, the boards are of good quality, but everything is board mounted. The JMC800 and the Plexi sound pretty damn good. My thing with the Jubilee is that for me personally the Drive Channel is Shit. The clean channel is freaking great an in the 5 watt mode you can get it cooking and manageable. All three are loud, All three sound like Marshalls, you won't be disappointed in that. Having a 5 watt mode and a 20 makes them really flexible. 

6 minutes ago, 0054 said:

True PTP vs eyelet or turret boards vs PCB well lemne tell ya, most of my amps are hand wired. You want a board unless it is a very simple amp. 

Cry me a Magnatone rats nest of wires. You lose your marbles looking at em!

End of day, does it sound good?

At the end of the day, you want a SIMPLE Amp. 

@Steve Hayniea good investment that keeps going up and up is the original Marshall Studio20 from the 80's. I had one way back in the 90's and if I had know a good amp guy to go through it I would still have it. I know its one of those amps that is a benchmark in tone for me. 

Two Words: Three Monkeys 

I have the Studio JCM 800 and absolutely love it! I had a Lead MkII 2204 (still in the old, plexi-type housing) and the little JCM 800 nails that tone for me. And yes, this little beast is damn loud, even at the 5 watt setting. Using the hi input, you'll have a hard time getting anything close to Fenderish clean, but then, if you want that, you'll buy a different amp. Another thing is that if you set the preamp gain way below noon, you get a rather thin sound due to a high pass cap on the gain pot (might have that removed...) But I have to say that the hi input "channel" cleans up nicely via the guitar's volume pot, while even the full on overdriven sound still retains a remarkable clarity and string seperation that I cannot get from my Mesa amps. On the other hand, you can get a nice clean sound by using the lo input. I use the hi input with a power attenuator with about -6db of attenuation in the 20 watt position (master at about 7, preamp at about 3 o'clock) and that is bearable in my basement. I went for the JCM 800 rather than the plexi because I wanted that sound and because I have my "clean machines".

You do get pretty much into plexi-territory with the JCM 800 - watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFzEO54BqsE

As I understand, Marshall didn't change much in the transition from the 1959 to the 2203. What they did is that they connected the two gain stages of the 1959, which meant that you didn't have to jumper channels anymore to get to THAT sound.

The JCM 800's EQ seems to be a bit more effective, but I have to admit that the plexi looks way sexier...😁

I highly recommend either amp, but I realize that the price tag on those is quite a bit steeper in the US than over here and other Marshall-type amps are a lot less in your country (Friedman and others...).

Just go with the a "real" one. Full size classic modell of a JCM800 or a JMP that is. And get a Rivera Rockcrusher, or Rockcrusher Recording. Then you have a real amp and the option to play it at lower volumes too. With the Rivera Rockcruser Recroding you can also record with it straight into your daw with the analog speaker simulator.

If you want a smaller Marshall, get the 1974X or the 2061X. Much cooler low wattage Marshalls.

22 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

Dave says the JCM's were not great, well I bet he has fucking made a MINT modding them to sound amazing. Slashes secret weapon is a modded JCM800, and if you want to hear a very good use of a stock JCM800 look no further than Charlie Starr from Blackberry Smoke. The JCM 800 is smoother on the Top End, Tighter on the bottom end and if you are going to goose it with a pedal and not take the gain too high then you will find the magic of a JCM 800. 

Verily, verily.  I'd say that guys like Steve Clark and Mick Mars did just fine getting a nice range of Marshall tones using their 800s. 

6 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

Verily, verily.  I'd say that guys like Steve Clark and Mick Mars did just fine getting a nice range of Marshall tones using their 800s. 

There are so many JCM800 models. But the one in that youtube clip is a 1989 or a 1987 model. That is, a rare JCM800 4 holer. They were pretty much similar to their equivalent JMP's. Then there are the 2203's and 2204's with master volumes. And the 2205's and 2210's with two channels and diode clipping.

I think JCM 800's are great. The 2204 I bought this past summer is a slayer of giants. Right now I prefer it over my 1973 50 watt JMP. The 2204 just cuts through when we rehearse. And it sounds like a slightly tighter "plexi". I will never sell this amp. It is truly awesome. And it's a late one, with the horisontal inputs. Still probably the best Marshall I've ever owned.

5 minutes ago, Disturber said:

There are so many JCM800 models. But the one in that youtube clip is a 1989 or a 1987 model. That is, a rare JCM800 4 holer. They were pretty much similar to their equivalent JMP's. Then there are the 2203's and 2204's with master volumes. And the 2205's and 2210's with two channels and diode clipping.

I think JCM 800's are great. The 2204 I bought this past summer is a slayer of giants. Right now I prefer it over my 1973 50 watt JMP. The 2204 just cuts through when we rehearse. And it sounds like a slightly tighter "plexi". I will never sell this amp. It is truly awesome. And it's a late one, with the horisontal inputs. Still probably the best Marshall I've ever owned.

Totally agree. I added that clip because I sensed that Freidman was speaking generally about the entire 800 line.  Admittedly, it's the JCM 800 2203/2204 (which are to their JMP predecessors what the 1987/1959 800s were to their '60s and '70s ancestors) he's thinking of as the definitive "800".  FWIW, I have a JCM  800 Model 1987 four holer and it really is the shiznit. 

Just now, Biz Prof said:

Totally agree. I added that clip because I sensed that Freidman was speaking generally about the entire 800 line.  Admittedly, it's the JCM 800 2203/2204 (which are to their JMP predecessors what the 1987/1959 800s were to their '60s and '70s ancestors) he's thinking of as the definitive "800".  FWIW, I have a JCM  800 Model 1987 four holer and it really is the shiznit. 

I don't think I have ever been dissapointed on a JCM 800 through a good 4x12 cab. I had a 2104 combo from 1985 some years ago. And it did not sound great as a combo. The cirquit is to bright to work with a shallow open cab, like those amps have. But through a 4x12 with G12h-30's it sounded great. In the late 80's I bought a 2205 that I had for years. I really miss that amp. It was so good. 

1 hour ago, Biz Prof said:

Great tones there, for sure. 

And for what it’s worth, everything I’ve read stated that Mick’s Marshalls were modded. 

To be clear, I am NOT saying anything negative about the jcm800’s. I’d still love to have one. I was just relaying what I’ve heard and read in the past about a significant number of the classic jcm800 tones we all know and love coming from modded/non-stock Marshalls. 

Mick has several Modded Marshalls, doubtfully any of his are stock. 

When was the last time you heard a "Stock" Marshall"? 

As a young player I was loaded a STOCK JCM800 50 Master Volume and to this day is still one of my favorite amps that I wish I could have kept. I have played other and nothing sounded like that amp did. Not super rainy, but tight ass bottom end with clarity, rolled off highs and midrange that punched you in the gut. 

56 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

Mick has several Modded Marshalls, doubtfully any of his are stock. 

When was the last time you heard a "Stock" Marshall"? 

As a young player I was loaded a STOCK JCM800 50 Master Volume and to this day is still one of my favorite amps that I wish I could have kept. I have played other and nothing sounded like that amp did. Not super rainy, but tight ass bottom end with clarity, rolled off highs and midrange that punched you in the gut. 

Another thing to consider, amps are like guitars. No two (even the same model and construction) sound EXACTLY alike. 

I’m sure there are some stock Marshalls out there that would kill some modded ones. Even the coveted Jose modded Marshalls were modded according to the player. So, what sounded godlike to the player it was intended for could sound like garbage in the hands of someone else.

I’ll conclude by saying this: if it sounds good, it is good...

They seem nice if you are looking for a smaller form factor version of the famous Marshall preamp designs. The Vintage non master volume version has a 5 watt mode, as does the Silver Jubilee version.

Still, the whole two EL34s running at 20 watts thing is a little strange. I would have thought they'd go for EL84s for that level of power, but I guess they wanted the EL34 sound. I wonder if they have them running triode or class A or something like that. I'm not that much of a techie but it seems that running 25 watt tubes at 10 each would run the bias cold, unless they are being biased at a higher dissipation than the amp is capable of??

1 hour ago, tbonesullivan said:

Still, the whole two EL34s running at 20 watts thing is a little strange. I would have thought they'd go for EL84s for that level of power, but I guess they wanted the EL34 sound. I wonder if they have them running triode or class A or something like that. I'm not that much of a techie but it seems that running 25 watt tubes at 10 each would run the bias cold, unless they are being biased at a higher dissipation than the amp is capable of??

Had similar thoughts.  And my first reaction was, "Why didn't they use 6V6s?", as those seem to be able to cop a old Marshall vibe better than EL84s.

A friend with a few Marshalls suggested buying the real thing because the cost is not that much more, sort of like buying an import Hamer versus buying a used USA Hamer. 

Some of you are suggesting different tubes, but then we get into the ballpark of Marshall tone.  Those EL34s are part of what makes a Marshall a Marshall. 

16 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

A friend with a few Marshalls suggested buying the real thing because the cost is not that much more, sort of like buying an import Hamer versus buying a used USA Hamer. 

Some of you are suggesting different tubes, but then we get into the ballpark of Marshall tone.  Those EL34s are part of what makes a Marshall a Marshall. 

Buy the real thing and an attenuator...  😉

Attenuators can only do so much.  They are not meant for turning 50 watt or 100 watt amps into bedroom level amps.  Then the speaker needs to work a little, too.  Part of the magic of a 100 watt amp being cranked is getting the speakers to break up a little.   Only the real thing will do when you want to be a purist.  A 20 watt or 5 watt amp with an attenuator might be a little more tolerable tonewise, but I would want to crank it anyway. 

It is going to be at least a year before I can realistically buy another amp.  It may happen sooner if the right deal comes along. 

18 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Attenuators can only do so much.  They are not meant for turning 50 watt or 100 watt amps into bedroom level amps.  Then the speaker needs to work a little, too.  Part of the magic of a 100 watt amp being cranked is getting the speakers to break up a little.   Only the real thing will do when you want to be a purist.  A 20 watt or 5 watt amp with an attenuator might be a little more tolerable tonewise, but I would want to crank it anyway. 

It is going to be at least a year before I can realistically buy another amp.  It may happen sooner if the right deal comes along. 

No most certainly not. Only a fool would use it like that. I find that attenuators for a 50 or 100 watt Marshalls works best to tame the beast down so that it matches perhaps a 20 to 30 watt amp. I use my Rockcrusher on the highest setting. For all I care it could be a bit louder still, I'd like it to go one more up in volume. But the Rockcrusher is the best sounding attenuator I've owned so I eat it. 

What I meant was that instead of buying a Marshall Studio JMP or JCM800, get the real thing instead. (If you get a classic old Marshall used it will keep it's value well.) And an attenuator. And use the attenuator to take the big amp down a notch. The Studio series is 20 watts. If you take a 50 watt JMP down a bit with a good attenuator like the Rockcrusher I am sure it will sound every bit as great as the Studio series maxed out. The 50 watter will still have more balls and hair due to it's bigger transformers. 

The Studio series can be switched down to 5 watts. But even 5 watts is to loud for an appartment. I would not recomend anything over 1 watt for bedrooom level use, when it comes to tube amps. I mostly use by Roland Micro Cube at home. It's a great sounding little amp that can be had for 50 bucks used. Great bedroom level sounds. 

If I use my attenuator at lower settings than on max it's when I am alone at our rehersal place and I practice on something that I need to learn. I want to hear the guitar, but I am not that bothered on exaclty how it sounds. It's just nice to rest the ears a little at times. Then I take it down to perhaps half on the Rockcrusher. It still sounds good. I can take it down to it's lowest studio setting and it's still sounds good. But that setting is perhaps only usefull if I record the amp through the speaker sim and still want to be able to hear it through the guitar cab. 

If you want a Marshall for bedroom levels I suggest their 1 watt amps. They have the DSL1 HR. Never tried it, but I'd guess it would be cool for home use.

A bedroom amp is not what I want.  My 50 watt Frankenstein heads are OK to me without attenuators, but rarely get cranked wide open anymore.  My search is for a real Marshall tone.  The Studio series can be bought in head and cab combinations for less than a reissue head.  In a year the Studio amps might be more common as used amps. 

By next year I might end up wanting a couple of 100 watt stacks with the tall cabs. 

Now it is time to start looking for a Rockcrusher. 

What I know is that the power tubes are cathode biased on these - whatever that may tell the experts other than that no biasing is needed when you drop in a set of matched power tubes. On the Marshall forum it seems to be consesus that you can run different octal power tubes in the studio amps like 6L6s, 6V6s, KT 66s etc.

Archived