Hamer Fan Club Message Center

US Agents seize $158k in counterfeit guitars

LefThanDed

1 hour ago, RobB said:

Are music stores selling these? Or, is it Reverb sellers? Pawn shops?

My guess is individual consumers ordering them on eBay. That place allows sales on them all day long from china without repercussions.

ETA: And when those folks sell them (illegally, just like when they bought them), yeah, they wind up on craigslist ebay or reverb.

It's a bunch of Chibsons, obviously. You can get them on ebay, but the place to get the fake guitar of your nightmares is aliexpress. There's hundreds of listings for these, find whatever you want a fake of.

Customs wrote the release very poorly. They meandered between mentioning they were fakes, then going on to say stupid shit like:

Many of the Gibsons were of the Les Paul line of custom guitars. Even Jimmy Page’s Gibson Double Neck made the collection, as did an ax autographed by Guns and Roses guitarist Slash. The most expensive was a Gibson Ace Frehley guitar valued at an MSRP of $9,000. The collection of counterfeit guitars included two acoustic models as well.

Yeah, except they're not, and they sell 'new' for like $300-500 shipped to your door. Saying that it was $158k worth of guitars is just absurd. It was a pile of cheap fakes.

I got one a few years ago, cause I just had to see for myself. I can confidently tell you not to bother. They look ok from a short distance, but when you look close, there's an assload wrong. Even headstock angles. I did the whole routine of pickups, hardware, wiring harness etc. It sounded better, but still not very good, feel was terrible. Nothing redeeming about playing it. It just felt like crap. Epiphones/Squiers, even bottom of the barrel ones, are way better. Ended up selling it for a shitload less than I put into it, did not try to scam anyone, told them exactly what it was, gave them the receipts for everything etc.

The only surprise is that they bothered to do anything about it. This has been going on for many years.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

Yes; covered in counterfeit Corinthian Leather.

That’s rich....

or soft.  Depending...

5 hours ago, RobB said:

Was that the drama? Damn, how did I miss all that?!

Don’t worry. I missed it, too. 

Gotta wait another few weeks for my Chibson Less Paul Kustom to show up now; thanks CBP, you buzz killers! And I do mean "buzz," like horrible setup terrible guitar BUZZ. 😉

These are getting closer and closer to looking authentic, not there yet but...

They're only worth $158k if they are filled with cocaine. Our own Sheriff Grady Judd likes to prop his dumbass up like that too. Take dramatic pictures. Show dramatic pictures and talk real slow so the Polk County simpletons understand you and drink in the kool aid.

His first press conference:
Press: But why did your deputies shoot him 86 times?
Judd: Because they ran out of bullets.

1 hour ago, crunchee said:

You shoulda seen the photo of him in his Ace Frehley costume, with makeup.   Not flattering. :wacko: :blink: :ph34r:

acebrent1.jpg

2 hours ago, 0054 said:

I thought that all ended with Henry?

This one is apparently genuine and not counterfeit, and showed up for sale at DGS earlier this week (no affiliation, it's been sold already anyway):

https://davesguitar.com/products/gibson/58-reissue-paulownia-prototype-number-1-les-paul-16/

...and sold the same day it arrived.  It wouldn't have surprised me if it was sold to someone in Japan, as they love Paulownia over there, but I wouldn't want to touch it myself with a ten foot pole, it just reminds me way too much of something Henry would have done in 2016.  If we're lucky, we won't be seeing any other...um, unique Gibsons anytime soon.

Archived