Hamer Fan Club Message Center

US Agents seize $158k in counterfeit guitars

LefThanDed

It's a clickbait-y headline, but the article clearly states that the $158k is based on authentic guitars, not the actual guitars they seized.  But would anyone have looked if they said "$15k-worth of fakes"?

According to U.S. Customs and Border Protection, their combined retail price, if authentic, would be $158,692.

I saw a YerTewb video of a fella that seems pretty knowledgeable on the subject limited edition Gibsons and such, doing a quick thumbnail of street value of what he could make out in the picture if *they were authentic*.  IIRC he came in within $10,000 of the Customs estimate.

2 hours ago, cynic said:

Sure, but this is more like the DEA seizing 150 kilos of baking powder and saying "if this were cocaine it's street value would be..."

Exactly THIS.

On 2/10/2021 at 8:07 PM, Steve Haynie said:

We used to have someone here who tried to unload his fake.  Things did not go well for him.

Does a link exist for that episode? I searched some time back and couldn't find much. 

Was it the group's consensus he knew it was fake or did he just take the news badly? 

Inquiring minds want to know...  🤔🤓🧐

33 minutes ago, Toadroller said:

I recall that he knew it, was called on it, and decided to die on that hill.

I'm sure Mr. Matthes can clarify if he wishes.

Wasn't it some sort of Eddie Van Halen model?  Really fuzzy on that.  Music Man, maybe?  Wound up being a partscaster of sorts? 

Or maybe that was a different episode of "Brent's Guitar Emporium."

10 hours ago, Crwth145 said:

Does a link exist for that episode? I searched some time back and couldn't find much. 

Was it the group's consensus he knew it was fake or did he just take the news badly? 

Inquiring minds want to know...  🤔🤓🧐

It was a Chibson of sorts if I recall. You won't find the ad; the offending post was removed by management along with its author.

3 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

It was a Chibson of sorts if I recall. You won't find the ad; the offending post was removed by management along with its author.

That's how I remember it. But the Martin story is news to me.

Archived