Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The last Live Show You Saw before Covid

kjq69

My wife and I are sitting tonight having some wine and listening to music.......Marcus King to be specific. We had the pleasure of seeing him February 7, 2020 at the Fillmore in SF. We got to be there for the sound check and back stage. What a great guy and amazing Guitarist, Singer, Song writer.....You name it he does it.......

Its been 369 days since we have seen "Live Music"..........We all feel the pain!!!

Who was the last live performance you saw before the pandemic ??

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Graveyard and Opeth at the Ryman.  It was early March, and I had been following the COVID situation pretty closely because I had a study abroad program scheduled to head to Italy.  I remember sitting there and actually thinking, "Better enjoy this... might be the last one for a very long time."  Great show.   Nothing like a little prog rock and death metal at Ryman Auditorium. 

A week later, everything shut down.

I caught The Connells at Rams Head Live in Baltimore a year ago - I had tickets for The Dirty Knobs on March 19th at the Birchmere, but that was the week they closed and cancelled shows.  :(

I did play a couple of socially-distanced gigs mid-year, but nothing at all since.  

Like Jack, I miss going to see live music and I miss going to watch NHL hockey.  I probably see 15 or so concerts a year at the minimum, and at least 8-10 NHL games, so 2020 into 2021 has been a bit...dull.

X/ Los Lobos @Fillmore Nov 2019. Hidalgo was on the DL and replaced by another accordionist. Diarrhea of the fingers, fucking awful. Most of their set revolved around a 45min medley of Santana songs (“cuz, like, y’know, we’re rocking’ the FILLMORE, holmes!”). They sucked. 

X was pretty good. Billy was seated the whole show. Worth the ticket price, I guess, but they should think about wrapping it up. Then COVID hit. Fun. 

1 hour ago, LucSulla said:

Graveyard and Opeth at the Ryman.  It was early March, and I had been following the COVID situation pretty closely because I had a study abroad program scheduled to head to Italy.  I remember sitting there and actually thinking, "Better enjoy this... might be the last one for a very long time."  Great show.   Nothing like a little prog rock and death metal at Ryman Auditorium. 

A week later, everything shut down.

You got a dose of Swedish metal. That is great.

Sad thing is, I am trying to remeber what I last saw and I can't. Over a year ago since I last went out to a show. It might have been The Revolution. Or I actually did a gig not long before the covid thing started, and there I saw a band called Prins Svart, that we opened for.

6 hours ago, cmatthes said:

I caught The Connells at Rams Head Live in Baltimore a year ago - I had tickets for The Dirty Knobs on March 19th at the Birchmere, but that was the week they closed and cancelled shows.  :(

I did play a couple of socially-distanced gigs mid-year, but nothing at all since.  

Like Jack, I miss going to see live music and I miss going to watch NHL hockey.  I probably see 15 or so concerts a year at the minimum, and at least 8-10 NHL games, so 2020 into 2021 has been a bit...dull.

The Connells are still around?  I had no idea!  Love that band.

I have a ticket for Rocket From The Crypt now this coming May. If that gig gets cancelled I'm gonna scream like Dracula. 😕

I think  it was Ann Wilson / Paul Rogers / Jeff Beck at the old municipal. Ann was terrible, Paul was scary good, Jeff had a bad night.

We had tickets to see Frank Marino, but the tornado took out the venue and covid soon after.

I think it was Marty Stuart and his Fabulous Superlatives at the Academy of Music in Northampton, Mass on March 1.  Feels like a million years ago.

Didn't really discover Marcus King until lockdown - from Youtube it seems like that would be a great show to catch.

We went on the Outlaw Country Cruise in late January/early February last year just as things were starting to get hairy. I think if the cruise had been just a week later, either it would have been cancelled or we would have opted out.

Anyway, at least we got to immerse ourselves in live music for 5 days since there has been none since. I believe Jesse Dayton may have been the last performer we saw. But there were many memorable sets during the cruise.

FWIW, I'm not really a cruise person. However, I must say that going on a music cruise filled with a lot of artists we'd probably see if they came around our parts was a complete blast. We're signed up to go on the next one in March 2022 assuming things are safe by then. If not, I'm fully prepared to forfeit our deposit.

Cheap Trick at the Montgomery Performing Arts Center, 11 OCT 19

That's one of the shows that the Missus and the Princess attended with me; i.e. a "mainstream" concert that I thunk they'd enjoy, and that's what happened.

As for more, er, esoteric concerts that I attend solo or maybe w/ a friend who's into the same stuff, the next to last show was King Crimson at the Cobb Energy Center on 29 SEP 19. One of the most dynamic presentations of musicianship I've seen and heard in my entire life. Right up there with Cream live at Chastain Park, 27 OCT 68

Dweezil Zappa playing the Hot Rats album, first week of March.  Seventh and final show of the year.  I had tickets for the Outlaws three weeks later, a Todd Sucherman clinic about two weeks laters, and about ten other shows that had been announced for the rest of the year.  The initial shutdown meant that Experience PRS was canceled , which meant I could go to another show my buddy had tix for, but that didn't happen either.  

I'm missing the live shows, but I'm not going as crazy as I'd have thought, especially since I've been getting to around 40 shows per year the last few years.  Probably because nobody else is going, either, so I'm not actually missing out on the shows.  But I do have my doubts about whether some of the shows will actually come off.  I actually bought tix about a month ago to see Cheech & Chong in October - that felt really weird.  But I'm not buying any tix for shows scheduled through June, and soon I'm going to make it August.  The odds are not good of those happening.  As of now, three shows from last year are scheduled for April, and I don't see a chance in hell that those happen.

Ween

It was a treat for me because they had been broken up for many years so I was convinced I would never get to see them again. They got back together a few years back but I was late to the game to figure that out so it was like it came out of nowhere. As always with Ween it was a strange goofy fun night.   

Archived