Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The last Live Show You Saw before Covid

kjq69

It was about this time last year. Kyle Kinane and Shane Torres, standup comedy in rock club that's bigger than the local comedy club but smaller than the local performing arts center/theater. Great show. 

Fu Manchu was scheduled to play here last spring and I would have gone to that, I think it's been rescheduled twice now.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Disturber said:

You got a dose of Swedish metal. That is great.

Sad thing is, I am trying to remeber what I last saw and I can't. Over a year ago since I last went out to a show. It might have been The Revolution. Or I actually did a gig not long before the covid thing started, and there I saw a band called Prins Svart, that we opened for.

I do love a lot of Swedish bands.  My favorite tattoo I got in Stockholm as well...  I think I'm just kind of in on Sweden generally; can't wait to go back if the world ever opens again.  Still kicking myself for not grabbing coffee with you though.  

I've liked Opeth for years, but I kinda slept on Graveyard until a friend got me to give them a second look.   They have some really killer stuff.

Eric Gales at The Bull Run on March 12. Schools and offices started shutting down the next day here in MA.

As much as I miss seeing bands I can't imagine being comfortable in a crowd before 2022

40 minutes ago, LucSulla said:

I do love a lot of Swedish bands.  My favorite tattoo I got in Stockholm as well...  I think I'm just kind of in on Sweden generally; can't wait to go back if the world ever opens again.  Still kicking myself for not grabbing coffee with you though.  

I've liked Opeth for years, but I kinda slept on Graveyard until a friend got me to give them a second look.   They have some really killer stuff.

Would be great to catch up if you come back here for a visit! The other guys in my band went to see Opeth in december 2019, before covid. I could not go.

UFO at Rams Head Annapolis Md. Small intimate setting. Great, Great show. Phil Moog looked a little fragile but did well, Neil Carter was an unexpected gem, and Vinnie Moore absolutely killed it ...

8 hours ago, Stike said:

Fu Manchu was scheduled to play here last spring and I would have gone to that, I think it's been rescheduled twice now.

Fozzy's my current front-runner - rescheduled three times, and all but certain to be rescheduled again.  No way they're going to have full capacity in April.

George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers on 1 March, 2020 at an intimate theater in KC.  Hometown boy Nick Schnebelen (sp?) opened and was ON FIRE with a telecaster. Scorching blues! He has become such a better player over the years.

George was fantastic as always. He owned the stage. He stayed in open G for all his slide work. Sound was great except for on my fave GT song, Who Do You Love. George relies heavy on Jim Suhler on lead guitar and Suhler plays a Les Paul with George. WDYL was open chords with GT and Schumer not muting the strings as GT did on the record and it was a mess. Other than that, it was simply fantastic.

GT ended the show standing at the edge of the stage with the National Anthem playing while a US Flag was behind him. I LOVED that.

Oh, GT opened with Rock Party, which over the eye arts has become another fave. GT is aging well.

December 6th 2019

Caught Robin Zander at Heritage Hall in Adrmore, OK.    Went to the restaurant that was sponsoring the show for lunch and Phil X and the Drills were doing sound check for their after party set.  

The show opened with locals Prophets of Outlaws, then Austins Acoustical Wizard Monte Montgomery (his version of Sarah Smile is a must), Kevin Martin of Candlebox duo  acoustic show with his bass player, concluding with Zander and his son wrapped up the evening.  

The after party with Phil X was outstanding.   Phil X does not disappoint. 

I think Candlebox was getting ready to start their 30th Anniversary Tour which after watching Martin would have enjoyed attending.   

A little over a year later upon reflection, this is a pretty good line up unknowing we were going to not be able to attend any live concerts for a while.   The wife and I were able to see some outstanding artists in small venues doing what they love and it was a benefit so - bonus.

Hamerica

KISS March 6th 2020 In Oakland  

My Dad always wanted to see KISS and never had.   He planned out a day and a half trip to the Bay Area.  Me, my brother and my 2 brother in-laws all flew down with him from Portland the day of the concert.  We walked all over San Francisco all day sight seeing, then we took the BART over to Oakland.   The hired guns for David Lee Roth were awesome.  Diamond Dave not so much.   KISS puts on an awesome show even if they aren’t at the top of their game anymore.   
    Since we were only there for a short time I didn’t even pack a bag.  Just the clothes on my back, cellphone and wallet. 
Good times, since it’s so hard to get everyone on the same trip together even pre covid. 

15EA85FD-0DB6-419F-B942-11AEBCEFFD3E.jpeg

E8FB67EB-CC86-4E97-9FDC-980405D02F34.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Maiden @ Barclays center in Brooklyn. It was end of July / early August 2019. They were awesome as always. I think Adrian played a Hamer standard in the killers era?

Tedeschi Trucks Band in Little Rock, 11/16/19, 3th row center and it was terrific.

It also cost a small fortune for my gal and I, like $200 each. Fucking criminal prices to get excellent seats these days. Seems like just last week I was sleeping out to be in line for the 10am sale start at a Ticketmaster outlet, usually Streetside Records in Webster Groves MO.  The overnight party was always almost as much fun as the concert. 

Well, I saw part of an Alter Bridge show but Myles Kennedy had a cold or some illness (COVID??? 😆) that night and couldn't sing after the first 3 songs or so, they said it was gonna be a lot of crowd participation stuff and I jetted.

Prior to that it was Post Modern Jukebox in Aug.  of '19.

Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 7.15.06 PM.png

• 1 month later...

Archived