Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Weird Amp Thing

Sugartune

Question

Weird issue, or maybe not but how I came across it kinda was.

I have a Revv D20 (20 watts 6v6s with Two Notes Torpedo built into it) on my computer desk, running into my DAW and also out to a cabinet behind me. 

Just now, I was playing, put my phone down on my desk and heard a much louder thump than expected. Turns out is coming out of my cabinet behind me. Guitar is muted through a tuner and volume rolled back all the way. So it's not that.

I do it again just to confirm. It seems to be the phone making the amp do that. Any tap on the desk or amp itself, for that matter.

Guessing that suggests a microphonic tube? Maybe something else potentially? 

What do you experts say?

Thanks in advance.

8 answers to this question

So, if you tap the desk with items besides the phone, does it still happen?  If you've got the gain up, even non microphonic tubes, particularly preamp tubes, can still transmit a thump through the speaker if you tap them.  Microphonic tubes will "ring" if you tap them.

5 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

So, if you tap the desk with items besides the phone, does it still happen?  If you've got the gain up, even non microphonic tubes, particularly preamp tubes, can still transmit a thump through the speaker if you tap them.  Microphonic tubes will "ring" if you tap them.

It also happens with anything other than the phone, yes. 

I had minimal gain. But the master was up loud and clean. 

Just now, Sugartune said:

It also happens with anything other than the phone, yes. 

I had minimal gain. But the master was up loud and clean. 

Oh, no ringing. Just the thump coming through the speaker.

Something is reacting to the impulse created by the thumping. The most likely candidate is a tube, since they are simple amplifying devices relying on a physical structure to operate correctly. A disruption in the structure, like an impulse loading transferred from the tube base could wiggle the electron stream enuf to cause a noticeable sound effect. It might not even be a bad tube, just a situation where the impulse is transmitted or possibly amplified by a resonance in the combined system of physical entities.

I hate mornings.

Thank you! It doesn’t seem to cause any other issues at the moment. 

I’ll keep an eye and ear on things in case they change or worsen. 

much appreciated 

I agree with JGale.  Could easily be a loose tube / bad connection as opposed to microphonic. 

Take 'em out and put them back in.  I fixed the climate control on one of my cars by taking the fuse out, looking at it funny, and then putting it back in.

If'n you're going to take them out / put them back in - highly recommend giving the pins a shot of Deoxit (or similar, contact cleaner) and inserting / removing a few times on each.  It cleans the sockets and pins and makes everything clean and happy.

Archived