Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Pheobe "Smash!" Bridgers

diablo175

So, I don't watch SNL anymore but saw this in GW's online bit and decided to see what all the fuss was about. Apparently, folks have forgotten about Hendrix, Townsend, Cobain etc. Or perhaps they feel it's not a woman's place to try and join that club?

Bollocks! Swing away Pheobe. Just break the friggin' thing next time,  would ya?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

Apparently, folks have forgotten about Hendrix, Townsend, Cobain etc. Or perhaps they feel it's not a woman's place to try and join that club?

I don't think it's that, necessarily. You have to not be friggin' AWFUL to ascend into membership of said club.

9 minutes ago, RobB said:

I don't think it's that, necessarily. You have to not be friggin' AWFUL to ascend into membership of said club.

That's one perspective. Not my style of music but I've heard worse and didn't find it all that awful. Kinda dug build up to the energy at the end.

It's not my style of music either, but that doesn't imply that it is listenable.  

Compounding the problem with the drivel she was performing, her guitar "smashing" showed all of the effort of a wash woman rinsing her laundry in a stream my slapping the garments against a rock.  

Saw it live, contrived crap. Funny as fuck that she couldn't break it. Even funnier was the fake monitor they rigged to "spark" when she hit it.

I like it better when the instruments fight back, wish hers would have bounced back and cracked her in the noggin.

This is the first I've heard of it, or her.  I'm mostly curious about the transition from a droning, softly-sung pop song to the screaming.  When doing something like that I'd expect to have an increase in tension throughout the song, especially in the chord progression, but that was more tra-la-la-we-wa-WAAAAAAAAHHHH! so it became disingenuous for me well before the smashing. 

But I'm just a middle-aged dude who has never been considered for a major label record contract, SNL appearance, and as far as I know haven't had my actions debated on a forum.  Oh, well, there may have been a couple things. But I don't think anyone knew it was me.

1. Never heard of her.

2. She doesn't appear to be that good of a player; so apparently she aspires to be more renowned as a singer (and songwriter)?

3. The guitar-smashing 'gimmickry' proffered is made (more) insipid by the fact that she was playing a cheap, present-day Danelectro instrument, from what I could tell. Basically a prop.

4. The actual physical effort she put into bashing her guitar was as sincere, realistic and convincing as an episode of Ancient Aliens. 

5. Methinks the monitor was wired to spit out sparks, like some half-ass flash pot. Didn't seem to work too well, which gave it away as another prop of sorts.

YMMV

4 hours ago, robbie said:

I like Pheobe, though much of her music is too slow and moody for me to spend too much time with.  But this was clearly a gimmick.  After it happened Twitter was buzzing, now it is on the HFC

The gimmick worked.   :)     

I like her side project stuff a lot, Boygenius and Better Oblivion Community Center better than her pure solo stuff, which like you I find too mellow. 

Boygenius is especially awesome. 

15 hours ago, TBP said:

This is the first I've heard of it, or her.  I'm mostly curious about the transition from a droning, softly-sung pop song to the screaming.  When doing something like that I'd expect to have an increase in tension throughout the song, especially in the chord progression, but that was more tra-la-la-we-wa-WAAAAAAAAHHHH! so it became disingenuous for me well before the smashing. 

15 hours ago, Bluesking said:

Wow, that was really shitty.

Both equally valid critiques.  

It was cringe as hell, but I'm not the demo.  

It was also totally worth doing apparently because it rustled enough jimmies to turn into a story for a news cycle.  Whatever sincerity it lacked has been made up for by the us vs. them generational squabble this turned into over the last week or so.  In a world of tribal hot takes,  I imagine the shit she's caught from us old heads has certainly made many a Zoomer join the wagon circle than would have ever given a shit otherwise.   

"Sure, it was kinda lame, but why do all you dad rockers have to be dicks about it?"

I remember when I was an "us" and not a "them."   Both seem like forever ago and yesterday. 

On a side note, Chelsea Wolfe could probably summon an actual demon to take her guitar to hell personally at the end of a set, but I'm pretty sure she'll never be on SNL. 

I haven't watched SNL in the last decade except to occasionally catch the 'cold open' intro.  I'm glad to hear that I didn't miss anything noteworthy.

Sounds like Bridgers shoulda done her homework and studied the 'classics' before embarassing herself on national TV.  Townsend could definitely smash a guitar to bits, but in this clip Moon gave it that extra 'oomph' that no 'sparking' monitor could ever match: 

32 minutes ago, veatch said:

I think I'm more bothered by the use of a capo.  On a baritone guitar, no less...

She was just taking it up from B tuning, eh?

Not to enrage anyone, but I saw this quote on Time Magazine's Twitter account...  

“Whether it’s enraging milquetoast reply guys by smashing a guitar on live TV or carving out a space as a furious, ethereal prophet, she’s as good as she is singular” 

🤪 

On 2/13/2021 at 6:15 PM, kizanski said:

Compounding the problem with the drivel she was performing, her guitar "smashing" showed all of the effort of a wash woman rinsing her laundry in a stream my slapping the garments against a rock.  

That was truly pathetic.  If I were playing a Danelectro, I would have the urge to smash it as well, but I wouldn't be dumb enough to do it live onstage without practicing it first.  I read that this woman smashed the guitar, but Kiz is right, "smashed" deserves scare-quotes here.  This was so lame!  Plus, I thought the music sucked.  If I had her album in front of me, believe me, I would smash that... hard.

Archived