Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Aerosmith-Oakland-1984 Interesting.

Jakeboy

I so love this band. Here they are after getting back together but pre-successful rehab....pre-Done With Mirrors. It looks like everyone is clean except for Tyler. Her is a wasted mess....he can barely keep it together, but he does. He is getting the lyrics but he is too fucked up to sing right...but he is fighting through the fog. I am about 2/3 through so we’ll see if he makes it. They got rave reviews on this tour, The Back in The Saddle tour.

Perry looks lean, clean, and mean and is killing it along with Brad. Tom is holding it all together and Joey is just ferocious on the drums this show.

But Tyler is just a mess. At least for this show...just a strung out blurry mess. 

Joe and Brad are playing New guitars..,ESPs and other 80s stuff...and they sound just like them. Sound and video quality kinda sucks, but you’ll get the point.

He gets a bit better as it progresses, but not much. I kept waiting for him to crash and pass out, but he is just barely hanging on.

45 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

If I were at that show I'd be pissed I paid to listen to that.

Dude, it was the 80s... I would have been way to stoned to even notice... and you'd be lucky if I didn't throw up on your shoes 😂

Was this the Back in the Saddle tour?  I caught them on that tour around that time (84 or 85) in Chicago (Rosemont Hirizon, if I recall...)  Band was excellent, and Tyler was... ok.  They didn't play Back in the Saddle when we saw them, which we thought was odd...

Thanks for the link!

This was before Mirrors so I believe it was their first tour back together, which IIRC was the Saddle tour. I’ll check the dates.

There was a King  Biscuit  special with Aerosmith back when they were a rawk band; a bandmate from years back said his family owned a cabin on the same lake where Aerosmith used to hang in the early days and the porch was a stack of empty beer cans the likes of which he never imagined...

Brad kills on Red House and during the intro to Same Old Song and Dance. And Tyler seems to have come down significantly by Same Old. He is far more articulate and engaged.

20 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

I'm just a minute and a half in and don't think I can listen to Tyler much more. It's painful. If I were at that show I'd be pissed I paid to listen to that. It's a real shame, the rest of that bans sounds tight as a drum, but Tyler....OOOOFAH!

Couple beers later we all would have been fine with it. ;) 

Got a chance to watch this...  good memories. This is from the same tour,  actually a month or so after I saw them.  (Looked it up: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_in_the_Saddle_Tour) 

I don't recall Tyler being that far out of it in Chicago, but I was young and pretty much watching Whitford and Perry. 

Joey's drum solo in Chicago was a lot more based on Moby Dick - not just the hands thing, but a lot of the rest of it was a clear homage to Bonzo as well. But, memories are funny things... : ) 

Thanks for posting this!

1 hour ago, bubs_42 said:

This is so damn true.....if I had been at this show I’d have been baked and likely have thought the band was COOKIN’ but that the soundman was having trouble with the vocals lol.

1 hour ago, bubs_42 said:

7 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

This is so damn true.....if I had been at this show I’d have been baked and likely have thought the band was COOKIN’ but that the soundman was having trouble with the vocals lol.

You guys are killing me. 

Even in my yute, drunk and baked, I've walked out on shitty performances. It's then more than ever, unable to do anything but sit and listen, when I expect GOOD MUSIC :lol:

30 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

Anybody see that spot were Perry leap across Tyler smacking in the back of the head with his guitar? LOL 

A show I walked out of, was Loverboy in '82? Zebra was supposed to open for them, but were apparently too drunk to appear and of course,  Loverboy pretty much tanked. It didn't help that the sound was horrible too. There were two motorized rising platforms on each side of the stage. Reno and Dean had just got on the left platform and it began to rise (at it's highest was pretty far up, maybe 25 feet), as it began its ascent, the bass player was on the opposites side of the stage and saw those two going for the ride. He decided he was going to join them. As if he were in some music video, leaned forward pointing his headstock at the rising platform from across the stage and charged full speed leaning forward with his bass. As he approached the platform, it was about three feet in the air already and he (God bless him..) jumped for it in a full run. He could have made it...if it weren't for his bass cord pulling taught on him mid flight, yanking his ass backwards and FLAT onto his back as the bass rang out some horrendous noise. The band continued to play as the bass player lay there dazed and confused while roadies checked on him. Felt bad for him, but damn if that wasn't the funniest real-life Spinal Tap moment I'd ever witnessed at a show...ever. Made the horrible concert worthwhile.

On 2/13/2021 at 9:59 PM, veatch said:

Was this the Back in the Saddle tour?  I caught them on that tour around that time (84 or 85) in Chicago (Rosemont Hirizon, if I recall...)  Band was excellent, and Tyler was... ok.  They didn't play Back in the Saddle when we saw them, which we thought was odd...

Thanks for the link!

I saw that tour in Chicago at Poplar Creek but dont remember much, not even the opening band. Some one and done band that's long gone I'm sure. I also saw Nugent that summer there w/ Alcatraz (Yngwie). 

Aerosmith.jpg

Archived