Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: GC 90's Red Special FM

When is the last time you've seen a completely straight FM Special for less than 1k. The its been a hell of a long day since the days of $350, but its getting further from the days of them being $750.  Specially now that Imports are coming in a over 1k new. Hummm Think about it. ;) 

Wait.... Champaign has a Guitar Center now...?

I was bummed when C.V. Lloyd’s music went out of business years ago. I practically grew up in that guitar store. That’s where I bought my first Hamer. Still have the sales receipt from January 1995...

12 minutes ago, topekatj said:

Looks nice but d'unt 1993 = toothpick neck?

However the guitar is loaded with humbuckers, I did not realize that a few of these came stock with buckers until someone here scored the $350 natural/brown special (W/HBs) a few months ago. 

I think all of the Special FM’s came with humbuckers. The slab mahogany bodied specials had either HB’s or P90’s. I had a trans cherry mahogany special HB for a super short time. Played and sounded great but wasn’t enough of a departure from my Special FM which was a beast with killer flame. ‘95 with a medium neck. One I shouldn’t have gotten rid of...

To your other point, I think I remember reading that ‘93 was a transition year where they went from the super thin necks to the more medium mid-90’s carve. 

I had one exactly like it. I thought it may be my old guitar, since I sold mine nearly 20 years ago when I was living in Champaign. But no, according to my records, my serial number was 334876. I sold it for $600. My recollection is that the guitar had a dead spot in the neck where it was impossible to sustain a note. I tried different string types and gauges and nothing would get rid of it. So I got rid of the guitar, which is too bad because it was my first Hamer and my first quality guitar since the '76 LP standard I had back in the late '70s.

Ya think? This is how they sent my Artist "forgot the case" Korina I received on Monday. A UPS miracle it survived 2000 miles. Bubble wrap wasn't taped and not even a second piece over the top. I noticed the shipping weight was too low and called but it had already shipped. I told the manager I'd put the pieces into the case and return it. Looks like the case is out for delivery today.

Hamer Artist packing 2.JPG

Hamer Artist packing 1.JPG

Damn, same thing happened to me with a EBMM Silhouette. Had to call and have them ship the case, got the case and returned the guitar since it the frets were shot and the pickup cavities had been routed out with a hand chisel. I bought a Chandler Lap Steel, came wrapped in bubble wrap, they didn't ship the case and couldn't find it. Returned that one too since I paid for the case and didn't get one. 

Where do all the cases go? 

Manager told me that when a guitar is returned to another store there's no indication in their info that there's a case. Funny how it's right there in their ad though.

Vincent - somebody was looking out for you. It's insane that it not only got out the door like that, but that it made it to you unscathed.  Go buy a lotto ticket.

On the flip side - remember when Musician's Friend was selling cases and somebody here got one with a guitar in it (a Newport, I think)?

That`s a nice Special FM. 1993 necks can be tricky unless you can get your hands on them. Most ere very thin, but later ones started the medium necks. I have a 2001 studio custom in trans red.  Somebody local should check out that special fm and maybe try to deal with them. I`ve owned a bunch of Specials, Special FM`s and Special HB`s. My favorite was a 1994 Special FM. Wish I had it back! Down to 2 Hamer in general after owning a boat load of them. I would really love my Hamer Firebird back. that one really hurts.

5 hours ago, VincentYGB said:

Manager told me that when a guitar is returned to another store there's no indication in their info that there's a case. Funny how it's right there in their ad though.

That is because when it comes back up they use the exact same photo from the original store. No case, No go IMHO. 

WTF is GC's deal with the case issue? I bought a (used) Gretsch PowerJet at the Emeryville store and the clerk, "couldn't find the case." I was insistent, as the tag said, "w/HSC." He actually ordered me a new case from FMIC/Gretsch, which arrived in 10 days, free of charge.

If GC is so savvy about, "losing", cases (to upcharge the customer for a new case/gigbag), why would they take a bath and pay for a new one from FMIC? It's all so confusing.

1 hour ago, bubs_42 said:

That is because when it comes back up they use the exact same photo from the original store. No case, No go IMHO. 

That has nothing to do with the issue. Yes they use the same photo and ad yet even when the ad states "comes with a case" that doesn't mean it will. When the store receives the "sale to ship" info the "case included" text is not in there. I've had two in past month where both were listed with a case and both were shipped without.

Considering the way prices have been lately the price seems decent. Seeing what they have other Hamers priced at it makes me wonder if this guitar has some type of issue ???

4 hours ago, VincentYGB said:

That has nothing to do with the issue. Yes they use the same photo and ad yet even when the ad states "comes with a case" that doesn't mean it will. When the store receives the "sale to ship" info the "case included" text is not in there. I've had two in past month where both were listed with a case and both were shipped without.

Tone is everything when it comes to guitars and posting. My point was if it has changed stores the images get reused. You may see the case but it may not have been with the guitar, it may have been returned because the buyer didn’t get it to begin with. In the end both our scenario are possible and I’ve experienced it both ways. 

Archived