Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Should I keep this Vector import?

HamerCustomEr

Question

My apologies for double posting, but this original post was lost in a Wanted to Buy thread, and I need an answer for the store soon.

My Vector import  arrived the day before yesterday.  After waiting a full 24h for the guitar to acclimatize, I opened the box, and I was horrified to discover that the seller only used a single box with bubble wrap inside--it was not even double boxed!  Combined with the fact that last week the temperature dropped to -40F en route, this guitar suffered.  Brace yourself for the images.

The good:

boomers.JPG

boomers full.JPG

Not bad for a $315 USD shipped guitar!  It plays very well, and sounds great.  Also good: 

2006831101_bodyfull.JPG.63e3f3dae13b9d72a0e3b5fedb89fd9e.JPG

But here is the bad:

jjzb7ea5v6uihfcyb0cq.jpg

muyxbrubfnpct5yw2fp3.jpg

seand9ibxxpdzam5ikdp.jpg

I am pretty sure that these are finish cracks only, even the one on the back of the neck, and although you can feel the neck crack (the worst of the lot) with your nail, you cannot feel it with the back of your thumb, and you cannot feel any of the other cracks at all.  The neck crack extends from one side of the nut right to the other, and the other parallel neck cracks reach from one side of each affected fret to the other.  Who here has ever seen weather cracking this bad on a poly finish?

Amazingly, the rest of the guitar is fine.  The back looks great, and so does the front.  One point of interest, if you compare shots from the original ad,

https://reverb.com/item/38681898-hamer-vecf-hb-lawsuit-model-v-electric-guitar-2019-honey-burst

exactly none of the affected areas are shown.  This may not be likely, but is it possible that the shop had this beautiful guitar with this neck damage already, and then decided to post it on Reverb right before the weather forecast showed a period of extreme cold looming?  I was considering contacting the shop to wait to ship it to me until the coldest weather had passed, but they shipped it almost immediately.

Conspiracy theories aside, what would you do with this $315 guitar?  Keep it, or send it back? 

Update:  I shared photos of the damage with the store, and they offered a $160 USD refund if I choose to keep the guitar.  This means that I am out only $155 USD which, believe it or not, is less money that I usually pay for shipping only from the USA to my home here in Canada.

17 answers to this question

20 minutes ago, HamerCustomEr said:

Update:  I shared photos of the damage with the store, and they offered a $160 USD refund if I choose to keep the guitar.  This means that I am out only $155 USD which, believe it or not, is less money that I usually pay for shipping only from the USA to my home here in Canada.

I would 100% go for this.

For $155 I would keep that guitar all day. If the finish cracks bothered me I might take some steel wool/scotch brite pad to the neck and make it a satin finish. Even with that, you’d still get your money back out of it if/when you sell it. 

2 hours ago, HamerCustomEr said:

Thank you for the advice everyone.  "I am keeping my baby!"

By the way, if you have never seen this video before, I recommend that you stick around to at least 1:39.

Or...  just skip ahead to 1:39 and hit “pause”

Nip slip, nice....

5 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Madonna has been a whore all her life.  Speculate on how she got her video on MTV. 

Ok, I'll speculate.
My guess is the video got on MTV because she was one of the most popular artists in a generation. Whether you love her, hate her, think she's a whore or a saint, this is just a fact.
How that boob slip got past the censors was actually my question.

On 2/19/2021 at 12:21 PM, kizanski said:

Ok, I'll speculate.
My guess is the video got on MTV because she was one of the most popular artists in a generation. Whether you love her, hate her, think she's a whore or a saint, this is just a fact.
How that boob slip got past the censors was actually my question.

It's so quick and was at a time when it was just played and no one was stopping it at each frame? Guessing they didn't even notice it. 

4 minutes ago, scottcald said:

It's so quick and was at a time when it was just played and no one was stopping it at each frame? Guessing they didn't even notice it. 

Could be the only explanation.  

Thank God for YouTube.  

On 2/19/2021 at 11:50 AM, Travis said:

Or...  just skip ahead to 1:39 and hit “pause”

Nip slip, nice....

I'm thinking it's a Janet Jackson type fake slip.  Can't really see a nipple.  It might as well be cantaloupe under latex.  

Damn though... she may not be beautiful but she was sexy.    

Now...well...I'll just say Liz Hurley has aged really nicely....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8140117/Madonna-deems-coronavirus-great-equaliser-shares-video-nude-bathtub.html#v-847780865236647325

Oh yeah... good call on keeping the Vector.  

Archived