Hamer Fan Club Message Center

koa finish

stedge

Question

If you were going to buy a solid koa guitar that had an old (decades old) existing finish (white now yellowed/cream so assuming lacquer, w an undercoat) and planed on stripping to bare Koa, what would you then do with the Koa.  I gather something clears and thin, either lacquer or shellac, but not oil?   and if I misstated anything in my question, apologies, I know nada about wood fishing, but am trying - 

and btw taking off the current finish will not adversely affect the value at all.  It is a parts guitar.

Thanks

16 answers to this question

IF I get it, absolutely,  

As I said, "if you were to buy...."

I am lookin at a great old guitar, know it is a koa body (not veneer, but solid koa), and calculating what it will require for me to do this, myself.  I have limited time and zero experience, but also want to try something new if I get the guitar.  That said, don't really want a spray booth, either.  Much as I love excuses to get tools, that aint one I would use often.....

10 hours ago, stedge said:

IF I get it, absolutely,  
As I said, "if you were to buy...."

I am lookin at a great old guitar, know it is a koa body (not veneer, but solid koa), and calculating what it will require for me to do this, myself.  I have limited time and zero experience, but also want to try something new if I get the guitar.  That said, don't really want a spray booth, either.  Much as I love excuses to get tools, that aint one I would use often.....

You might want to look at Tru-Oil. If you can get it in your state (banned in California, damnit!).
You can wipe it on in thin coats with a rag. Build up as many coats as you like for the gloss you want.

Luckily, Koa does not need much to enhance its grain, color, beauty in regards to finish. What has been previously suggested would be fine.

I'd buy that body asap. I love Koa.

Removing the finish is a moderate task.

Koa is great. I say go for it......

Here is mine, with Tru-Oil and then topped with Renaissance Wax.

Myka Koa.jpg

ETA.......On my rocking chair project, I am using the proprietary Maloof formula products......I believe the blend of three oils is somewhat similar to Tru Oil. The top coat (oil and wax blend) may be similar in effect to this wax, except that the oil blend presumably makes it dry into a harder finish. I let the first product "cure" for over a month, then did the first top coat yesterday. I still have about 3 more coats to go, but even after the first it "fairly glows". I have NOT tried that product on koa. But I am extremely pleased with the result on walnut.

I've used Watco Danish Oil with great success on stuff like this.  It's a tung oil type oil with carnauba wax emulsified into it.  Put it on in progressively lighter coats with more rubbing as you go along.  Scratch?  Put some more of the stuff on.  Dings steam out pretty well.  My 40 year old frankenstrat still draws comments on how good the neck feels.

16 hours ago, stedge said:

that is a cool esquire, Travis.  

If I had an awesome esquire like that, I might go lookin’ at those new Gravelin P90s that could fit right in there.  The ultimate Esquire Jr!

Yeah, I had Josh wind the pickup for that build and it slays. I just had him wind something for another build I’m doing. Now with these single coil sized P90’s I may have to do another build just so I have something for that pickup...

Archived