Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Humbucker

Hmmmmm. What is it? A Slammer? Bridge? Neck? Original 80s? Found this on the Verb. No affiliation.

1980’s Hamer Guitars USA Humbucker https://reverb.com/item/39011518-1980-s-hamer-guitars-usa-humbucker?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=39011518

Looks like an early 80s Dimarzio PAF with the triangular feet. Others with more knowledge than me will respond.

@JGravelin??? Is this a second gen Dimarzio PAF or a Slammer? The black makes me think it may be a Slammer.

Would be great to know DC resistance to determine how late 80's it is.  Those early 80's Slammers with DC resistance of around 10kΩ to 10.5kΩ are incredibly fun pickups - more powerful than the typical PAF, but still very clear and versatile. 

I am not a great a fan of the higher resistance versions that came later, but I could be in the minority.

The last time I saw any of these on Reverb (couple of years ago) it was for a set priced at about what this one pickup is requiring.

I know and love these cool old Hamers but without a resistance reading, it's really hard to tell! I'd put this in the late 70s/early 80s era of DiMarz but I could totally be wrong. Short output leads indicate a bridge humbucker... 10.4k and 11.4k versions there, +/- a little are soooo good. v1 or v2 Slammer, possibly. Or could be a late-model DiMarz PAF? I dunno. Again, a resistance measurement would be helpful.

roinxmkmznrdecjyiqvi.jpg

I don't know, those slugs look awfully familiar to me.  I had a splendid sounding Slammer in my '83 Phantom A5 (that of course, I stupidly sold...).

Only photo available and too small detail to tell, but hey, guitar pron is guitar pron:

Urru6BM.jpg

ETA: on second thought, maybe I'm remembering the slugs on the single coil pickups.  Been too long.  I'll have to see if I can find some more detailed photos.

ETAA: Yep, the slug coil on the pickup for sale resembles the single coil pickups in my A5.  The slugs in the humbucker were beveled:

Cr9qVvM.jpg

That's an '83 (S/N 3 7991) and there wasn't a single broken solder joint on the whole guitar.  Would be cool to have it back as the neck was nice and chunky.

At any rate, the pickup for sale appears to be later than this one.

24 minutes ago, cynic said:

This isn't that.  You want a Dimarzio PAF.

Zactly.

The bridge (double cream) is the easier of the two to source as they were in Hamers, Aria Pros and other guitars OEM.  That zebra neck pickup is a bear to find by comparison.  I picked one up a double cream PAF out of an Aria Pro on TGP for around $40 back five to ten years ago.  Of course, now that everything is "rare," it might be more expensive than that - yep, a quick survey of Reverb had one double-cream in rough shape (and it appears the threads were gone in the base plate) at $120.00.

If you're not a purist, the PAF Pro (DP103) is an excellent and extremely similar pickup and can be had in double cream for $75 new.

3 hours ago, cynic said:

This isn't that.  You want a Dimarzio PAF.

No, you want a @JGravelin repro of either a slammer or a Dimarzio paf in any damn cosmetic you ask for. Dude winds great stuff!

7 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

No, you want a @JGravelin repro of either a slammer or a Dimarzio paf in any damn cosmetic you ask for. Dude winds great stuff!

Just stop it already. Josh is a great guy. Josh winds a great pickup. Josh is far from the only game in town. The guy said he wants an era-correct replacement. Some of you guys are going full gear-page style horny cheerleader and Josh is the captain of the football team. 

13 hours ago, cynic said:

Just stop it already. Josh is a great guy. Josh winds a great pickup. Josh is far from the only game in town. The guy said he wants an era-correct replacement. Some of you guys are going full gear-page style horny cheerleader and Josh is the captain of the football team. 

While I do appreciate the support and kind words, I'm most definitely not the only game in town - not even close. I push other pickup makers and show support for all sorts of different companies all the time, both in posts here as well as in other places as well as with my own business. The fact is that there are a lot of amazing pickup creators out there and I'm not some kind of unicorn in this field. Damn good and take extra care in what I do, yes. There's loads of different flavors available and I think it's great that people go after whatever they think is going to tickle their itch.

I'm here if you need me. If you don't, trust me I'm not offended at all. Whatever it is that "you" need, find it.

My advice to OP: if you want an original, dig around and get the original! Honestly, after staring at that photo more I'm not sure about this one because the slug coil looks wrong compared to others I've seen and had on my bench. The good news is that in all conditions, they are out there. You can find one. It might need new output leads. It might need the screw side coil rewound. I make my own thick 2 conductor + braided ground in my shop for the true believers: can't buy it anywhere and DiMarz doesn't offer it and hasn't for years and years. In this sense, hey maybe I am a unicorn! Anyway, so now you know who to call to refurb these excellent and most killer cool old pickups. I love them and will be so pleased to do this good work to fix and keep them going far beyond any of our lifetimes.

DSC04311.JPG

DSC04310.JPG

18 hours ago, JGravelin said:

My advice to OP: if you want an original, dig around and get the original! Honestly, after staring at that photo more I'm not sure about this one because the slug coil looks wrong compared to others I've seen and had on my bench. The good news is that in all conditions, they are out there. You can find one. It might need new output leads. It might need the screw side coil rewound. I make my own thick 2 conductor + braided ground in my shop for the true believers: can't buy it anywhere and DiMarz doesn't offer it and hasn't for years and years. In this sense, hey maybe I am a unicorn! Anyway, so now you know who to call to refurb these excellent and most killer cool old pickups. I love them and will be so pleased to do this good work to fix and keep them going far beyond any of our lifetimes.

DSC04311.JPG

DSC04310.JPG

Unicorn speak!

Now @cynic, I do push two pickup makers...Rumpel and Gravelin, for one reason only: IME they make the best pickups in the world. By far the best I have played since 1978. I know of NO ONE ELSE who is making slammer repros or early Dimarzio repros except our lovely and manly football team captain @JGravelin! So, when applicable I will continue to toot his pickup-winding horn. Just like I do Hamer, Shishkov, Lovepedal, Monsterpiece, and precious few others. 

Archived