Hamer Fan Club Message Center

No One Swings Like the King

So says Phil X. He makes a strong argument:

That being said, check out the swing in this song:

The opening lick isn't technically difficult, but man! do I have problems getting it to swing like he does.  Generally, I have good rhythm.  This song is just chock full of little swing elements that bedevil me.

7 hours ago, gorch said:

The swing was with DLR. It‘s a shame they had split up at the time.

I would disagree about the swing, falling firmly in the camp with PhilX.  The swagger, OTOH, was absolutely DLR.

Two things have changed my mind (back to positive) about DLR over the past several years (VH reunion concert antics / vocals aside).  The first was Joe Rogan's three hour interview of DLR (whatever your opinion of Joe Rogan, I find him an incredibly adept interviewer).  The second was Ted Templeman's biography wherein he lays out an incredible case for DLR's contributions to the VH albums.

But no one swang(? swinged? swung?) like EVH!  If PhilX can't nail the swing of a piece, something is definitely going on.

PhilX' most uncanny ability, in my mind, is to play absolutely anything and sing at the same time.  Some of those old Fretted Americana videos with him playing, for example, Stevie Wonder's "Superstition" while playing the real version (not the SRV held-E#9 chord), are unbelievable.  To wit (with The Drills):

... but savant?  Absolutely!  Seems to be a genuinely nice guy, as well.  Now living in Nashville (isn't everyone these days?)!

Doesn't matter what Phil X says, Bob Wills is still the king. 

I watched that when it came out and really enjoy going on a Phil dive from time to time.  I can listen to him and Dave Friedman go on about the magic of plexis for hours.

Archived