Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Serial number question....USA?

The Hamer Les Paul was 3x3 headstock, made in the Usa, did not say Hamer Usa on logo or back of headstock.  There are also a few USA built Hamers that do not follow the typical sequential serial number format.  For instance, my Daytona and T51 prototypes from Bill Kaman have a “born on” date impressed as the serial number.

E99B6708-A3AD-4F31-B34C-DD4027392698.jpeg

E098FB6C-AD67-43AD-B628-07FC598D9E6D.jpeg

2 hours ago, Texas Fury said:

Benny, if it were originally purple, I have no idea as I got it used and the serial puts it as a 1989. The body seems stripped and the headstock is iridescent.

IMG_5218b.jpg

there was a run of iridescent Cali Elites that had the secondary serial number; I had one of the iridescent run (I remember the headstock had the iridescent finish) and also one of the purple run. They were both great guitars.

3 hours ago, mirrorimij said:

The Hamer Les Paul was 3x3 headstock, made in the Usa, did not say Hamer Usa on logo or back of headstock.  There are also a few USA built Hamers that do not follow the typical sequential serial number format.  For instance, my Daytona and T51 prototypes from Bill Kaman have a “born on” date impressed as the serial number.

E99B6708-A3AD-4F31-B34C-DD4027392698.jpeg

E098FB6C-AD67-43AD-B628-07FC598D9E6D.jpeg

Got full pics of the Hamer Les Paul..?

Two of the very earliest examples of Daytona and T51 (second ones built).

Serial numbers indicate the neck “born on date”.  That was the date those two necks happened to be at the serial number stage prior to going to have a finish/logo/ hardware applied.

8/5/1993 and 8/11/1993.

25CE94DA-11AD-43C6-BF03-0B2E5DDF6531.jpeg

20806565-20BA-4120-AA36-5477D1459667.jpeg

2 hours ago, mirrorimij said:

These pics were poached from someone here.

8DECD3BE-E05F-46E6-BD81-45ECCF16D91C.jpeg

48F504AB-C245-4E1D-A2F1-6616BF52D52C.jpeg

Ah, yes. I remember that one now. Love the top and finish on it. 

3 hours ago, mirrorimij said:

The ones Frank got were the pair featured in the Modern Vintage Ad.

70AD99E4-92A1-47E8-8955-6E540C7F93E7.jpeg

My favorite Iine from that letter is the somewhat arrogant and completely unnecessary qualifier, "even though I outranked him I let him have those."

But seriously, congrats on owning the second prototypes of these iconic bolt neck Hamers, Bob. 

9 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

My favorite Iine from that letter is the somewhat arrogant and completely unnecessary qualifier, "even though I outranked him I let him have those."

That is right up there with the incredibly pompous, "Don't you know who I am?"  I cannot imagine using such a line myself, but it has been used on me twice that I remember.  Both times I answered honestly, "No, I don't."

2 minutes ago, HamerCustomEr said:

That is right up there with the incredibly pompous, "Don't you know who I am?"  I cannot imagine using such a line myself, but it has been used on me twice that I remember.  Both times I answered honestly, "No, I don't."

Well in this case he owned the company that owned the company, so....

2 hours ago, kizanski said:

Verily. Thus my use of "somewhat arrogant."  Twas still unnecessary.

3 hours ago, kizanski said:

“Too obvious.”

Didn't Music Go Round or some similar used retailer often stamp 'used' into the back of the guitars they resold?, I remember some story like that.

Also, a USA Hamer will have tuners installed straight, not at all crooked, - in my experience.  Btw, that is also a clue when looking at newer Gibson forgeries; the tuners are often poorly aligned for some reason, - they get a lot of stuff right then get in a big old hurry when installing the tuners... 

Archived