Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Anyone using a Ceriatone?

bubs_42

48 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

Thinking of picking one up.

No, but I’ve been checking out a few. Leon Todd is a big fan and has a few videos on his channel. They sound pretty damn good from what I’ve heard. 

I've got a Champ Ultra. Factory built and I like it A LOT! I got it used from Reverb and it sounded like crap. Contacted Nik Azam and got the tubes straightened out and it's been a joy ever since. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another but as mentioned I would want to be sure it was Nik built.

I bought a 18 watter here a while back. The build quality is excellent. Nik responds quickly. I've been doing more with my old bandmaster lately, but it's a great amp for when I need plexi tones@

3 hours ago, LordsoftheJungle said:

I've got two,,, the Hiwatt DR504 and the Silver Jubilee. I wouldn't have any reservations about buying another unless it was a kit somebody else put together.

I've played the Jubilee and thought it was better than the real thing. LOL 

I'll let you guys know how it shakes out, not very many available at the moment on the used market and the price is up there. I definitely couldn't flip it without loosing my ass so i'm sitting on it for now. 

When I was searching for Hiwatt Style amp, theirs is really top notch. I went with the Trinity Triwatt for 2 reasons, lower wattage and 2 preamps classic and biacrown higher gain in the same amp, Ceriatone has one or the other, they are way cool.

I was seriously considering one for my role as Malcolm in an AC/DC tribute band.  I've never heard a bad word about them except for the wait for a custom build which to me is understandable.  I get overwhelmed on their website because they have a ton of models and options.  When I know exactly what I want, I'll probably look at them again.

Had an ODS-style head. Bought new for something like $800. I do not know what they are today. I would likely still have it if not for the Fuchs.

Anymore I haven't been taking chances on amps that I can't play first, unless I buy from someone here. The 20 OTS was very underwhelming for me, I didn't do anything for and I like a Dumbly Amp. This is a 50watt OTS, I currently run a DR Z Z28 with either a OD11 or a Vanilla Zen in front of it to pull a "Dumble" tone out of it. It does it well, but lacks a little sparkle. So I added a compressor pedal (Sexdrive by Durham Effects) in the front of the chain and that brings everything to life and is a great setup on from of that amp. I sat down in front of this particular Ceriatone and tweaked it, I was not impressed and after trying a few things I though "Good, I can live without it". Then I remember the back panel had a few things on it as well, so I blindly reached over the amp found the trim pot for the gain and moved it ever so slightly and all of a sudden magic happened. Another 5 to 10 seconds and I was getting as good or better of a sound straight to the speaker with no pedals. 

@django49 like you I am a fan of Fuchs and their amps are great, but just like the Zendrive they are just too smooth. Its like Andy tweaked it to perfection and I just miss the mojo than  imperfections bring. If you or anyone gets a chance to play a MK1 Black Jack 21 that the chassis is flipped sitting on the bottom instead of the top of the head shell, you hear what i'm talking about. Its a Trainwreck style amp and they are wild, unpredictable, don't take pedals all that well, but you will feel like your connected to the speaker like no other amp. Then as they progressed, the chassis flip, updates were done, MKII came out and features were added it turned into a more stable predictable amplifier. Somewhere along the evolution you can find a balance of artist chaos and stability. 

I might go back and try it again and see if the magic happens, the amp is $1300 and that would only mean that I would have to move a couple more things if I brought it home or to my new place depending on how the wife reacts. 😳

58 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

Anymore I haven't been taking chances on amps that I can't play first, unless I buy from someone here. The 20 OTS was very underwhelming for me, I didn't do anything for and I like a Dumbly Amp. This is a 50watt OTS, I currently run a DR Z Z28 with either a OD11 or a Vanilla Zen in front of it to pull a "Dumble" tone out of it. It does it well, but lacks a little sparkle. So I added a compressor pedal (Sexdrive by Durham Effects) in the front of the chain and that brings everything to life and is a great setup on from of that amp. I sat down in front of this particular Ceriatone and tweaked it, I was not impressed and after trying a few things I though "Good, I can live without it". Then I remember the back panel had a few things on it as well, so I blindly reached over the amp found the trim pot for the gain and moved it ever so slightly and all of a sudden magic happened. Another 5 to 10 seconds and I was getting as good or better of a sound straight to the speaker with no pedals. 

@django49 like you I am a fan of Fuchs and their amps are great, but just like the Zendrive they are just too smooth. Its like Andy tweaked it to perfection and I just miss the mojo than  imperfections bring. If you or anyone gets a chance to play a MK1 Black Jack 21 that the chassis is flipped sitting on the bottom instead of the top of the head shell, you hear what i'm talking about. Its a Trainwreck style amp and they are wild, unpredictable, don't take pedals all that well, but you will feel like your connected to the speaker like no other amp. Then as they progressed, the chassis flip, updates were done, MKII came out and features were added it turned into a more stable predictable amplifier. Somewhere along the evolution you can find a balance of artist chaos and stability. 

I might go back and try it again and see if the magic happens, the amp is $1300 and that would only mean that I would have to move a couple more things if I brought it home or to my new place depending on how the wife reacts. 😳

I hear you regarding try-before-buy,,, unfortunately for me there just isn't any opportunity to try a lot of these amps in podunk New Mexico. I've had a few Ceriatones and the only one that I didn't like was his Z Wreck clone (C_wreck). I wouldn't necessarily blame Nik for that, in general I don't bond with El84 amps but wanted to try this out anyway.

15 hours ago, The Shark said:

i had a Creme Brulee.  Why I sold that particular amp is still a mystery to me.  Lots of bang for the buck.

I built one using Niks' layout on the website. Used Matchless transformers I had bought for a Lightning clone. Didn't like that so I did the Creme Brule'. ef86 is baaaad!!

I am itching to get the 100 watt Chupucabra. It has EL34 tubes. Plexi, JCM 800 and JCM 900 type modes and much more on it. I really like the way that ones sounds. From Rock to Thrash. I tried emailing Nik, but the email bounced back and said undeliverable. Maybe I`ll try again. I had a few questions for him.

7 hours ago, LucSulla said:

Here's a Ceriatone Trainwreck with a totally sweet head shell.

https://reverb.com/item/39105140-2019-ceriatone-trainwreck-express

Uh...  maybe I’m just too traditional, but I’m not the biggest fan of that head shell...  Reminds me of an old time milk crate or something. I bet the amp sounds fantastic, tho. 

5 hours ago, Travis said:

Uh...  maybe I’m just too traditional, but I’m not the biggest fan of that head shell...  Reminds me of an old time milk crate or something. I bet the amp sounds fantastic, tho. 

You're not traditional, and I'm never sarcastic, haha.

That looks like something I would put together.  This is not a compliment when it comes to woodworking. Measure once.  Measure twice.  Measure three times. It doesn't matter, because barely functional is pretty much as good as it gets. 

That head is not something I would do myself, but it is nice to be able to reimagine things and try something a bit different. Like a reimagined Thiele cabinet (Expanded to accommodate a typical head) or one aimed for wide angle stereo. Or a lunch box sized cab for easy portability. I like to TRY to think outside the "box" a bit. Some ideas work better than others......

stereo cab8.JPG

image.jpeg

24 minutes ago, LucSulla said:

I'd love to be able to afford the tools to get into making stuff like that.  

And the attention detail to not saw a hand off. 

I have my assistant handle the finer details......

12-19-08--1 035.JPG

Well, I bought it. I should have taken my own guitar with me to try it out, but when I pick it up next week i'll be able to give it a really good run through. Its a slightly complicated amp with lots of sounds in it. I was able to dial it in using the normal input to have a sound that I would use with no pedals, then having a boost on top of it built it was a bonus. 

First think i'll due is tear it down, make sure its a Ceriatone Build, tweak the gain channel IF there is anything inside. 

I've had two Dumble type amps. A Bandmaster Reverb modified by Andy Fuchs and Brown Note D'Lite that I built from a kit. I don't own either anymore. I'm not a good enough player to own them (hate to admit it, but true). They magnify (amplify) the mistakes and sloppiness of my playing. I want another, I'm not any better of player, but I want another. The Tweedle Dee I built is really nice, but it's a modified 5e3. Probably fits my playing much better. My 2 cents

Archived