Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Anyone using a Ceriatone?

bubs_42

If you love the Dumble Sound then I would recommend the Ceriatone to anybody. No pedals, I used this amp all weekend with no pedals. Cleans are big and Fendery, the drive is thick with tight low end and a top end that is bright but not brittle. On top of that you have a lead boost that puts it over the top when you need it. 

The only drawback is the weight, it would go toe to toe with any vintage Mesa Boogie out there. HUGE Transformers, thick chassis, they are build like a tank. In the world of Dumble, these are a steal at the price they go for. I was in no way impressed with the 20 version that I played, but the 50 Watt Special is a special amp indeed. 

My only issue is, I have to move something to keep this one, so I will take more time with before I make that call. I still need to take it apart to see if it is a a Nik Build, Team Build, or was a it a kit. They way it sounds, I'd have to say its at least a Ceriatone Build. It is quiet, no funny noises or crackling, and everything functions as is should. 

Spent precious time this morning with the Overtone and here is my final word: This is an amazing clone of a Dumble and after doing as much research as I could possibly do on Dumbles without spending 100K I have to say Ceriatone nailed it. It is a very telling amp, quick, not compressed, very much a Fender that is up front, punchy, with plenty of muscle. Is the FET Channel the shit? IMHO no it was my least favorite of the two channels. Reduction in clarity, adds compression, which does add to a looser feel, making the amp a touch easier to play. The amp does do cleans and it is easy to shape the tones with the EQ. Once you learn that the amp more or less is laid out in different sections just like the panel shows, you will learn how to balance these sections to craft a tone. You can balance the clean, gain, and boost. I successfully created a clean, overdrive, lead sound that was very usable and sounds natural. 

The last thing that I did today, that I had not done in the whole time i've had it was put anything in front of it. So I tried to ways experiments.

First can I boost the drive channel to add another layer of gain. Result: Yes, but OD's were finicky and you had to be careful that you didn't create harsh high end. The amp has a quick attack on the top end and adding gain was sometimes unpleasant. Single knob boost pedals did the trick and the amp took a good boost very well. 

Second, using the clean channel, can I clone the drive and boost settings. Answer: Yes, to the point that I actually preferred using a pedal to sculpted the tone a touch more to my liking. (Used OD11) A/B'ing between the pedal and the drive of the amp, the floor noise was pretty much the same, the feel wasn't at all a dramatic shift, but it did prove that as long as yo have a baseline for what your are shooting for you can achieve that sound. 

Last but not least, this was another experience that Bubs can indeed find yet another way to expensively find the same sound yet again. I 100% believe that every tonal cocktail that you find will not escape the first ingredient in the recipe. You are you and you sound the way you are from experience or lack of, and if you don't like what your hear then maybe you should get to work. ;) 

Archived