Hamer Fan Club Message Center

MIrage I Bridge Replacement

rugby1970

I have a Mirage I for sale here but I might wind up keeping it. If I do, I might be interested in changing the bridge. It currently has the original Kahler bridge. What would be a good alternate?

I got the Mann Vintage bridge for my Mirage II. It was a direct replacement. Only thing was I did have to deepen the mounting holes just a tiny bit for the 6 screws. HUGE improvement over the stock Wilkinson VSV bridge. Much smoother and feels way more solid. I opted for the brass block as well. Like it so much I’ll be getting another one for my Mirage I once I get around to it. Highly recommend.

https://www.johnmannsguitarvault.com/shop/Parts/Guitar-Parts/Bridges/MannMade-USA/Guitar-Tremolo-Bridges/p/MannMade-USA-VintageVibrato-Bridge---Nickel-x42807305.htm

2 hours ago, Travis said:

I got the Mann Vintage bridge for my Mirage II. It was a direct replacement. Only thing was I did have to deepen the mounting holes just a tiny bit for the 6 screws. HUGE improvement over the stock Wilkinson VSV bridge. Much smoother and feels way more solid. I opted for the brass block as well. Like it so much I’ll be getting another one for my Mirage I once I get around to it. Highly recommend.

https://www.johnmannsguitarvault.com/shop/Parts/Guitar-Parts/Bridges/MannMade-USA/Guitar-Tremolo-Bridges/p/MannMade-USA-VintageVibrato-Bridge---Nickel-x42807305.htm

I like the mann made trem too

Pics?

I've NEVER seen a Kahler on a Mirage as factory original.

4 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Pics?

I've NEVER seen a Kahler on a Mirage as factory original.

I think he means this one. Saying the bridge was a Kahler was probably just a typo/brain fart. 

1 hour ago, Travis said:

Saying the bridge was a Kahler was probably just a typo/brain fart.

Definitely a brain fart (part of some of my medical problems lately). Wilkinson is the correct make of the bridge? Mine doesn't have visible marking of the manufacturer.

3 minutes ago, rugby1970 said:

Definitely a brain fart (part of some of my medical problems lately). Wilkinson is the correct make of the bridge? Mine doesn't have visible marking of the manufacturer.

Yup, Wilkinson VSV. That’s what was used on all of the Mirages: I’s, II’s and maple tops. I believe that’s what Hamer used on the Daytona as well. 

It’s really not a bad trem. It served me well for 25 years since I rarely use the trem anyway.

I’ve been told that the steel they used for that trem was a little thinner/lower quality (“pot” Metal). Because of that, it seemed to have a little bit of a “thinner” tone to it compared to the Mann I installed. However, I also upgraded to the big brass block on the Mann which adds to the difference. The feel is a bit different as well. The Wilkinson feels a bit lighter and more fragile compared to the Mann feeling more solid. This could have something to do with the heavier construction and block. But don’t forget about spring tension having an effect as well. 

Ahhh.  Gotcha.   I actually like the Wilkinson VS-V trems - super smooth and no glitching.   If I were replacing it though, I’d probably opt for either a MANNMade unit, Floyd Rose Rail Tail or Supervee Bladerunner.

1 hour ago, cmatthes said:

Ahhh.  Gotcha.   I actually like the Wilkinson VS-V trems - super smooth and no glitching.   If I were replacing it though, I’d probably opt for either a MANNMade unit, Floyd Rose Rail Tail or Supervee Bladerunner.

I looked into the FR rail tail and the Supervee both. Heard nothing but great things about the Supervee from guys on here. I ended up going with the Mann after I received my Sustain Block from John and saw how well made it was. I’m sure the FR and the SV are every bit as good but I just liked the experience I had with Mann and I typically stay pretty brand loyal once I latch onto something I like. 

I really like the MANNMADE stuff too.  I would have put one on my last Shishkov, but he wasn’t doing chrome at the time.

Archived