Hamer Fan Club Message Center

the founder of Grizzly tools builds guitars,,, extravagant guitars

That is crazy beautiful!! I like his tools too! That is not a playing instrument... more like a museum grade piece of art!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dutchman said:

That is crazy beautiful!! I like his tools too! That is not a playing instrument... more like a museum grade piece of art!!

I think you're right, as Steve mentioned the spider placement and jewels don't lend themselves to a playable instrument.

• Like 2

Am I really going to be the first one to say that headstock is fugly? 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I get the feeling someone must have said "It's good but could use more inlays" on one of his earlier guitars. "I'll show you!"

Definitely some high quality stuff though. Jeez. They remind me of the guitars that C. F. Martin makes every time they come up on a big milestone, like the 1 millionth, 2 millionth, etc.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

FUGLY!

Someone had to say it.  You couldn't pay me to rock that thing.

• Like 4

Yeah, not for me.  I feel like for guitar the sine qua non is getting the lines of the instrument right.  If those are "off" no amount of bling will save it.  And I don't love the lines on these.  It's not quite Huber, and not quite PRS...   Clearly crazy-good workmanship on the inlays and such, but misses the mark for me.

Also funny, given that guitars - in general - are tools to get a job done with...  I don't imagine there's a line of Grizzly power sanders adorned with 18k gold spiders and 20 carats of gems.  :D 

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, sixesandsevens said:

Yeah, not for me.  I feel like for guitar the sine qua non is getting the lines of the instrument right.  If those are "off" no amount of bling will save it.  And I don't love the lines on these.  It's not quite Huber, and not quite PRS...   Clearly crazy-good workmanship on the inlays and such, but misses the mark for me.

Totally. The body is PRS-ish but if I may quote the movie Fargo it's "funny lookin'".

• Haha 1

I like Grizzly's tool line(s) and catalogs. I like the fact that the CEO/founder/owner resurrected some defunct USA tool brands, once enjoyed building guitars, and that he still features builders like Suhr, Taylor, FCS, and GCS in his firm's catalogs and web site.  I do not like any of the guitars he's built and exhibited.  At all.  The body shapes look a bit "off" and the ornamenation and inlays are too Minarikesque for me.  But he gets props for building a small number of ornate pieces to scratch a hobbyist itch and to show off both his skills and his firm's tools.  That's more than I've done.

And no, the headstock design is not attractive.  Better than Lindert or Tyler, but worse than most others.

• Like 1

For all the jokes we have made we never discussed whether or not we would want a less blinged out version of that guitar.  Considering the effort that went into the inlays and how good the work looks, those guitars might be really nice to play.  Sometimes an odd body shape throws us off.  Then we try out the guitar to find ourselves pleasantly surprised.  

Somebody buy one and give us a report. 

Edited by Steve Haynie

As fine as the work might be these are gaudy and horrific from a pure aesthetic standpoint. Like a chick with too much make-up they make no sense. I know over the top design (you've seen my guitar) - it's not that - it's that there's no reason for these to be the way he's done them. He's basically showing the design aptitude of a typical BeDazeller haus frau.... Like - "hey let's glue some rhinestones on that commode over there... it'll look great!" No - no it wont. It wont look great - no matter what pattern you do. /rant

Edited by Dasein
  • Haha 1

This one is meta because it's got guitars on a guitar. 😳   I wasn't ready for reality to fold in on itself tonight like this. 🤯

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

In some cases less is just more.

8 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

That's just it. He built these for himself, and that's why I give him props for the effort. Minarik on the other hand...

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

For all the jokes we have made we never discussed whether or not we would want a less blinged out version of that guitar.  Considering the effort that went into the inlays and how good the work looks, those guitars might be really nice to play.  Sometimes an odd body shape throws us off.  Then we try out the guitar to find ourselves pleasantly surprised.  

I think in most cases if people don't find a guitar visually appealing it's unlikely they'll pick it up and try it out never knowing how it plays/sounds. 

A few of us did comment on the shape of the body and headstock which I think would still result in a hard pass even without the jewels and abalone. I'm not sure those are even for sale. They seem more like an ad. "Look what I built with tools you can buy from me."

On 3/1/2021 at 8:15 AM, sixesandsevens said:

....I feel like for guitar the sine qua non is getting the lines of the instrument right.  If those are "off" no amount of bling will save it.  And I don't love the lines on these.  It's not quite Huber, and not quite PRS... 

get.gif

• Haha 3

Gotta admit it.  I like this one. 
Incredible detail and artistry.

On thing, though.  They have photos of serial number 002 - 009.
Where is 001?

005_large_01b.jpg005_large_05b.jpg