Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Advice on a Daytona?

Hi, folks ~ been a while since I posted.  Lots of Covid-miles, ugh... 

So I sold the Strat I picked up about a year ago.  Never really bonded with it, so it made sense to let it go to someone who was going to get a lot more mileage out of it.  But now I find myself looking around at Daytonas for sale.  Natch.

There's one currently listed on Reverb ... I don't know if the seller's on this forum, but I thought I'd ask about it here, if that's okay.  (I didn't want to post this in the For Sale/PSA sub forum because I'm not encouraging someone else to buy it, lol!)  It looks like the listing has been up for 9 months.  I'm just wondering if y'all see anything to be concerned about:

https://reverb.com/item/33782878-hamer-usa-daytona-1996-trans-red-guitar-case

Thanks!  And if the seller is here on the forum, my apologies ~ no offense intended; I'm just "collatin' data," as they say...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, ArnieZ said:

I'd be concerned about the price.

Yes, that's the main issue with that guitar.  

Get him to knock about $600 off.  

1 minute ago, kizanski said:

Yes, that's the main issue with that guitar.  

Get him to knock about $600 off.  

One could even say that price is inciting some COCV...

I just sold a '96 Daytona (Rosewood, Black w/gold hardware) for $500 a couple of weeks ago.

Probably should have charged the guy more, but I'm happy that it's going to a good home.

3 minutes ago, tweed said:

Were they all built with ash bodies, or were there any alder ones built. If so, how would you know, by the weight maybe ?  

They switched over to Alder bodies for the most part in late '95 or 1996.  In general, those guitars are lighter to medium weight.  The earlier Ash bodies can be kind of heavy - definitely worth asking.

Didn’t know that about the switch to alder — thanks!

4 minutes ago, draelyc said:

Didn’t know that about the switch to alder — thanks!

Same here, Dag, I let a few good deals pass me up thinkin' they were all boat anchors !! 

1 hour ago, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said:

I was going to offer to send you one on spec, but you can't receive DMs.

I didn’t realize I couldn’t till I saw your post and checked.  :o 

What’s the secret to activating that feature?

Also ... seriously?  Wow!

48 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

I just sold a '96 Daytona (Rosewood, Black w/gold hardware) for $500 a couple of weeks ago.

Probably should have charged the guy more, but I'm happy that it's going to a good home.

I think I saw an old post with that description, THAT was one cool Daytona  !!! 

7 minutes ago, draelyc said:

There you go, "Ask and you shall receive " 

18 minutes ago, draelyc said:

I have no idea how to activate it. It just said you can't receive DMs.

I've got a PAC 612v sitting around that I'm too lazy to put up for sale.  Selling is such a hassle.  And Yamahas are so undervalued that it's only going to get half what it's actually worth (in craftmanship, tone,and playability) if I put it out there on the open market.  So giving you a chance to fall in love with it is worth it.

But it's really not a Daytona.  It's just a great strat-style guitar that has great tone, great playability, and a beautiful flame top.  But it doesn't have the Daytona cachet, and might not even have the same sort of neck carve, dunno.

Yamaha PACs are the best value in guitars, in my opinion.  Better than Hamers, even, and that's saying something.

...they also aren't made in the USA, for what that's worth.

19 minutes ago, tweed said:

I think I saw an old post with that description, THAT was one cool Daytona  !!! 

It definitely is!  Not bad weight, two PhatCats and an SH-6...very cool guitar, but I rarely played it, and a friend of my son's who is an amazing musician was going to buy something crappy for $600, so I thought it would be a decent offer and still save him some $$ for a set up the way he wants it. He's thrilled with it, so I'm happy.

HamerDaytonaBlackBeauty.jpg

9 minutes ago, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said:

I have no idea how to activate it. It just said you can't receive DMs.

I've got a PAC 612v sitting around that I'm too lazy to put up for sale.  Selling is such a hassle.  And Yamahas are so undervalued that it's only going to get half what it's actually worth (in craftmanship, tone,and playability) if I put it out there on the open market.  So giving you a chance to fall in love with it is worth it.

But it's really not a Daytona.  It's just a great strat-style guitar that has great tone, great playability, and a beautiful flame top.  But it doesn't have the Daytona cachet, and might not even have the same sort of neck carve, dunno.

But Yamaha PACs are the best value in guitars, in my opinion.  Better than Hamers, even, and that's saying something.

But they also aren't made in the USA, for what that's worth.

Very cool.  I’ve heard nothing but amazing reviews of those Pacificas.  Agree that they’re seriously underrated.

im mainly interested in expanding my Hamer collection at this point though. Hence the interest in the Daytonas.  Y’know?

5 hours ago, draelyc said:

Very cool.  I’ve heard nothing but amazing reviews of those Pacificas.  Agree that they’re seriously underrated.

im mainly interested in expanding my Hamer collection at this point though. Hence the interest in the Daytonas.  Y’know?

100%

Archived