Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center

2021 Gear Wish List(?)


Recommended Posts

It seems stupid to even be pondering other stuff that would be "nice to have". In 2021, I still have too much that I am (slowly) moving out. I am sure there must be a guitar or two that would be hard to resist, but I can hardly even think of anything that meets that test lately. I know I have passed on some great ones posted here that I might have jumped on a few years back.

Still, the recent thread about the Rivera Stage IV does start one to thinking. OTOH, the likelihood of my needing such a thing either for live playing or in a "studio" seems very remote.

I have a good handful of amps that SHOULD find a new home. Still, this one keeps me looking. This head would go great with one of the stereo cabinets I have built. A pair of glorious 20 watt amps in one head, along with a master volume, would be a lot of fun. With the great Swart tube-driven reverb and tremolo. OTOH, my existing Swart SST is the amp I most often go to any more. Spend another $2400 or so? Gear lust never completely dies.....

Just idle speculation on a Thursday morning.

stereo_master_20_center2.jpg

https://www.humbuckermusic.com/collections/swart-space-tone-stereo-amps/products/swart-stereo-master-20-head

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Totally get it. I don’t NEED anything else at the moment, or probably ever. But that doesn’t stop the searching. In fact, I’ve found new ways of justifying the acquisition of new gear. I’m considering taking Egnator’s amp building class. Not only would I walk out with a cool new amp, but I also get an education and the pride of building it myself...  

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, django49 said:

It seems stupid to even be pondering other stuff that would be "nice to have". In 2021, I still have too much that I am (slowly) moving out. I am sure there must be a guitar or two that would be hard to resist, but I can hardly even think of anything that meets that test lately. I know I have passed on some great ones posted here that I might have jumped on a few years back.

Still, the recent thread about the Rivera Stage IV does start one to thinking. OTOH, the likelihood of my needing such a thing either for live playing or in a "studio" seems very remote.

I have a good handful of amps that SHOULD find a new home. Still, this one keeps me looking. This head would go great with one of the stereo cabinets I have built. A pair of glorious 20 watt amps in one head, along with a master volume, would be a lot of fun. With the great Swart tube-driven reverb and tremolo. OTOH, my existing Swart SST is the amp I most often go to any more. Spend another $2400 or so? Gear lust never completely dies.....

Just idle speculation on a Thursday morning.

stereo_master_20_center2.jpg

https://www.humbuckermusic.com/collections/swart-space-tone-stereo-amps/products/swart-stereo-master-20-head

I've had an eye on those SWARTs for a long time,,, Friedman amps too,,, and a Royer R121 microphone,,, and another Huber,,, and,,,

  • Like 4
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, cynic said:

I ran across this yesterday.  I’m pretty convinced I need one. 

 

I've got a deLisle 7x7 and it is soooo much easier changing amps and cabs. Totally worth it. I've never noticed any coloration or artifacts with this unit. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Same thing as the last time one of these lists came up (2019? 2020?): Yamaha MODX.  I can't decide on the 61-key or the 76-key and am too ignorant to know why I would choose one over the other, other than maybe portability.

71wwM9pfUVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

 

I had too many guitars as it was and then bought a Lester last year (after 40 years of torturing guitars while purposefully staying away from them, I'm totally sold on the Lester concept - it works for dang near anything).

I'm playing zero guitar outside the house (for years now).

Time to really learn synth and the MODX bang-for-buck remains off the charts.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m oddly intrigued by the new Guild Baritone 8 string acoustic...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just three things:

1. 0117

2. Valvetech Hayseed amp

3. Stam API preamp clone

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A "Boo-Teek" guitar, (besides my Hamers) just to see what all the hoopla's about. Then maybe later have one built just for me, to my specs. The Full Monty, from wood type, neck shape, tuners, pickups, electronics, any hardware down to the very screws that will be holding something down.  Then maybe learn to read music before I kick that bucket !!  

Edited by tweed
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd be quite happy to get the 2 axes I ordered over 1.5  years ago and one ordered over a year ago. 😐

Edited by diablo175
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sonic1974 said:

Love those fret inlays!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shishkov 101! Hopefully a Louis Electrics Amp and maybe Line 6 Stomp XL. Crap, gotta record some stuff too. 

This place kills me! I always wanna get different kinda stuff, but limited budget and seeing nice guitars. 



 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/4/2021 at 1:48 PM, LordsoftheJungle said:

I've got a deLisle 7x7 and it is soooo much easier changing amps and cabs. Totally worth it. I've never noticed any coloration or artifacts with this unit. 

Where is the instrument input on that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, cynic said:

Where is the instrument input on that?

The deLisle receives inputs from the amps and has outputs to the cabs, you would use the existing instrument input at the amp of choice.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just got my 2021 wanna-own.

Sold a guitar and so - man, lack of gigs or really ANYTHING to do outside of the house is dangerous - I indulged in something I always thought sounded great on paper but was never able to bond with. An HSS Strat was my only gear "wish" but the ones I  very briefly owned were too Jekyll and Hyde. The pickup settings were always: Strat-Strat-Strat-Strat-LOUD MIDRANGEY HUMBUCKER TOOO LOUD MAKE IT STOP.

Walked into the local GC and a guy had been there the day before selling THIRTY-FIVE pristine guitars, most with the hang tags, plastic on the pickguards, virtually unplayed. Shop went out of business I guess. I strummed a few HSS Strats and a white American Professional II with rosewood board and tort pickguard stood out. Brand spanikin' new condition and 45 days to return. Very well made, the rosewood is so dense and dark and smooth I wonder if it is ebony. Best part though is the bridge pickup goes from single coil to humbucker via push-push on the second tone pot. Single coil is pretty hot for a Strat but basically what you'd expect. The humbucker mode is not much louder, but has the midrange grunt. I guess it's a coil TAP, not a split, or the two coils are constructed differently. Anyway, it's a very good guitar and seems durable, stays in tune, really big neck for a Strat.

2021 buying spree complete! Mostly want to complete the new album, which I'm very pleased with so far...

 

Edited by polara
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think this is a good place to mention my WTB ad for a USA Hamer Junior. Not sure why, I just got a huge crush on them recently.

I am also looking at the new Gibson Junior double cut at Dave’s. This does not seem like a sound investment compared to the price and quality of Hamer. They sure look sweet though.

https://davesguitar.com/products/gibson-custom-shop/1958-les-paul-junior-double-cut-reissue-cherry-red/

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm currently looking HARD at the TC Electronic Plethora X5. Seems like a great idea, and is FINALLY the type of multi-effects platform that I have been looking for. It's got tons of possibilities.

Also the Two Notes Cab + M cabinet and power amp modeller. It would be a great way to turn a pedalboard into an easy to move live rig.

And of course, the Rivera Stage IV.  I just love the concept of the amplifier, and the look. I've been looking at modified Fender Deluxe amps for a while, and this surpasses them IMHO, but isn't super pricey.

The 70's flying V is something I will keep looking out for.

Other than that, selling more guitars I never use is another priority.

Edited by tbonesullivan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/4/2021 at 1:56 PM, velorush said:

Same thing as the last time one of these lists came up (2019? 2020?): Yamaha MODX.  I can't decide on the 61-key or the 76-key and am too ignorant to know why I would choose one over the other, other than maybe portability.

71wwM9pfUVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

 

Time to really learn synth and the MODX bang-for-buck remains off the charts.

If you play with two hands, I would definitely go for the 76-key version.  You will need it for the bass in your left hand.  The 76-key is also much better for keyboard splits.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

I'm currently looking HARD at the TC Electronic Plethora X5. Seems like a great idea, and is FINALLY the type of multi-effects platform that I have been looking for. It's got tons of possibilities.

Unless you already like TC effects, I would stay away from the Plethora.  I think that is is too expensive for what it is, and anyway, I think that the quality of TC has really gone downhill.  You can do much better for all-in-one units (as you need your own overdrive and distortion with the Plethora anyway).  If you already have a bunch of your favourite pedals already, instead of an all-in-one, maybe take a look at the Eventide H9.  It has much better pitch effects than TC (with better tracking), better Reverb than TC, and nothing beats the H9 for all-around craziness.  It is limited to one algorithm at once, but it many algorithms combine two or three effects in one. 

Edited by HamerCustomEr
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally, I just ordered one of these, and I am really excited about it.

https://www.gamechangeraudio.com/light-pedal/

It is an analog spring reverb pedal uses light and light sensors to create sounds that nobody else is making.  Personally, I strongly prefer analog pedals over digital, and there is no other analog reverb on the market that even comes close to this one for versatility.

 

Edited by HamerCustomEr
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...