Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Minor tweaks that make a major difference.

Post yours!

I just got this one converted from the original EMGs to a passive harness and a pair of custom-wound X2N-Bs from DiMarzio.  The EMGs weren’t bad, but they were a bit sterile and brittle through my rig.  Decided to go passive, and it made a huge difference.  It rocks even more now!

Before:

13AAD014-96EA-477F-8C6F-E8146AC44091.jpeg

1DF6229D-B895-4FE3-844C-38431BCAD89E.jpeg

After:

80AC92B2-A953-43FE-A2AB-76518044A517.jpeg

CF923909-1A5C-4995-883A-3D66322B6D46.jpeg

Nice.  If you didn’t know.  You would think the x2ns are the originals.   I know emgs have their loyalists but I’ve always been happier once I’ve pulled them and rewired.   

NIce!

When I switched out phat cats for Joshs' filtertron style, it made a huge difference. 

Mirage 2 before and after. Had Josh rewind the stock JB/59 so you’d have to tear the pickups apart to tell the difference. He switched the 59 over to an A4 magnet so it keeps the chime with its cleans and remains clear as a bell under higher gains for leads but loses the woofiness that I’ve always heard from the 59. I don’t remember what exactly he did to the JB but it went from “meh” to “my god!”

The one minor tweak you *can* see is the installation of the MannMade vintage trem. HUGE improvement over the stock Wilkinson VSV. I never had a problem with the Wilky. It worked fine for me. I honestly didn’t notice any of its shortcomings until swapping it for the Mann. The Mann is smoother, more solid, and the addition of the brass block gives it that little extra. 

This guitar is my PRS killer...

D89F6945-56C3-4F3B-87AA-99223C9AE622.jpeg

EBC3B1F7-8077-47D5-B8C0-EC9BBB4A6F87.jpeg

I had a friend route my Mirage I for a full sized humbucker (put a Duncan Custom Custom in there), and I think it's a much better match for the Vintage Rails, and a more versatile guitar now.  Kept the '59 in the neck of my Studio, but swapped the bridge for a Distortion ~ which I hesitated to do based on the name of the pickup model, but I feel like it gave my Studio a warmer, more vintage vibe ~ perhaps ironically.

Also swapped the nickel/chrome hardware on the Mirage for black, because vanity. ;)

With these two Hamers, now, there's very little ground they can't cover. 

I do kinda wish my Studio were bound, like a Sunburst, but I doubt there's a way to do that short of a full-on refinish...

Hamer Mirage.jpeg

Hamer Studio.jpeg

1 hour ago, draelyc said:

I had a friend route my Mirage I for a full sized humbucker (put a Duncan Custom Custom in there), and I think it's a much better match for the Vintage Rails, and a more versatile guitar now.

Also swapped the nickel/chrome hardware on the Mirage for black, because vanity. ;)

Hamer Mirage.jpeg

Love the look of the Mirage. Did you change the tuners over to black as well?

I went with nickel for the MannMade bridge on my Mirage II because it went well with the nickel covered pickups. When I finally get around to replacing the bridge on my Mirage I maybe I’ll go with black as well...  🤔

1 hour ago, Travis said:

Love the look of the Mirage. Did you change the tuners over to black as well?

I went with nickel for the MannMade bridge on my Mirage II because it went well with the nickel covered pickups. When I finally get around to replacing the bridge on my Mirage I maybe I’ll go with black as well...  🤔

I did change the tuners to black Sperzels, as well, yes.  Just couldn’t find a decent full picture on my laptop to upload. :) 

You like the MannMade bridge better than the Wilkinson, I take it?

Edit:  Nvm — just read your earlier post. D’oh! 😛 

Archived