Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Satirical topical hit songs: Who remembers 'em?

I suspect the type of music noted in the title of this thread is either extinct or critically endangered, due to political correctness or worse sanctimony; i.e., you prolly won't hear 'em on contemporary radio because a lotta folks, including programmers, prolly tend to tread lightly theses days when it comes to satire. 

Time was, however, some of the tunes in this limited genre were memorable and/or hilarious (and relatively harmless, for that matter). They had then-contemporary lyrics sometimes recorded over a classic tune.

Coupla examples include NRBQ's only hit "Get That Gasoline Blues", released during the gas crisis of the mid-'70s. Musically, it was based on "Rock Around the Clock" and "At The Hop" and was also noteworthy for its legitimate use of "ass" in the lyrics.

There was also 1980's "Bomb Iran" by NOLA retro-greasers Vince Vance and the Valiants, set to the tune of "Barbara Ann." There were other versions but this one was the most popular.

(TANGENT: Live, Vince Vance & Valiants kicked Sha Na Na's collective bonhunkus all the way back to Columbia. The set usually included Vince heaving a hocker onstage....and I saw 'em in  '73, before punk rock came along)

Obviously, this inquiry may evolve into a commentary so thanks in advance for any input.

P.S.: Unsure if Tom Lehrer ought to be on this list or not...YMMV

How many folks never got the meaning of "I Dig Rock and Roll Music" by Peter, Paul and Mary?

And could this one get recorded, let alone airplay, today?

Or this one......

Many years ago, some folks in Beverly Hills named Bruce (some heavy hitters in the business/social community, including Bruce Jenner before YOU KNOW WHAT happened) had a theme party based upon the cliche of being named Bruce. One (who shall otherwise remain unidentified) mentioned it ahead of time and I volunteered that I had an original 45. So, this was put on a cassette tape and was reportedly the centerpiece of their little soiree.

Jimmy Dean and Lorne Green never saw these coming. And I am still non-PC after all these years......

IMHO, the last verse of David Alan Coe's recording of Steve Goodman's "You Never Even Call Me By My Name" qualifies if we're allowing originals.  Hell, Goodman has several that qualify.  To wit...

Would the response songs of the 40s and 50s count?  They may not be satirical, but there was a either humor or cleverness involved. 

It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels made Kitty Wells a big star, and the song was putting forth a view that was serious.  One may not have had to know the song was directed at the lyrics of another song to enjoy it, but for those who knew what it was about they might have had a brief chuckle. 

27 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Would the response songs of the 40s and 50s count?  They may not be satirical, but there was a either humor or cleverness involved. 

It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels made Kitty Wells a big star, and the song was putting forth a view that was serious.  One may not have had to know the song was directed at the lyrics of another song to enjoy it, but for those who knew what it was about they might have had a brief chuckle. 

Memories of goofy C&W response songs......I believe it was Theresa Brewer (My dad's favorite) that did one to Roger Miller's "Dang Me"......

"Durn ya durn ya, they oughta take a chair and burn you......."

IIRC, when asked why she did not make it "Dang ya, dang ya, they oughta take a rope and hang ya" she replied......"Because I don't believe in swearing".

On 3/6/2021 at 5:39 PM, django49 said:

Memories of goofy C&W response songs......I believe it was Theresa Brewer (My dad's favorite) that did one to Roger Miller's "Dang Me"......

"Durn ya durn ya, they oughta take a chair and burn you......."

IIRC, when asked why she did not make it "Dang ya, dang ya, they oughta take a rope and hang ya" she replied......"Because I don't believe in swearing".

She shoulda done “Bang Me”....

I think I remember from the 70's one called Mr. Jaws and another called Mr. President where they faked a reporter asking questions and then used lines from hits of the day as their answers.  Does that ring a bell for anybody else?

2 hours ago, tommy p said:

I think I remember from the 70's one called Mr. Jaws and another called Mr. President where they faked a reporter asking questions and then used lines from hits of the day as their answers.  Does that ring a bell for anybody else?

On 3/6/2021 at 11:20 AM, django49 said:

How many folks never got the meaning of "I Dig Rock and Roll Music" by Peter, Paul and Mary?

And could this one get recorded, let alone airplay, today?

Or this one......

Many years ago, some folks in Beverly Hills named Bruce (some heavy hitters in the business/social community, including Bruce Jenner before YOU KNOW WHAT happened) had a theme party based upon the cliche of being named Bruce. One (who shall otherwise remain unidentified) mentioned it ahead of time and I volunteered that I had an original 45. So, this was put on a cassette tape and was reportedly the centerpiece of their little soiree.

Jimmy Dean and Lorne Green never saw these coming. And I am still non-PC after all these years......

How have I never heard this song before? This song may need to work its way into a Famous Volcanoes backyard set, but never in a public venue....or perhaps a 4-3-2-1 Club command performance...

Archived