Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Dusting Off ( & revamping?) A Moldy Oldie

Some might remember my post inquiring about studios or techs who might have the console to play a dated format? The 1/2" cassette, turns out, did have a place to be accessed...in Australia. 😲

Long story short, I paid a small fortune to have this tape dumped to wav. files and got the tracks back this morning. I've since opened them up on my DAW and...

Oof.   

Cost to return ratio is WAY off but there's plenty of potential in revamping the song. It's really not a bad tune, if I do say so myself. I've since reached out to 2 of the 3 other musicians to see if they would be interested in joining me. Could be a fun project.

Anyone ever revamp an older tune?

Yes, And I have spent considerable time or I mean wasted considerable time trying to improve the sound of older recordings. Actually, it’s been a hell of a lot of fun and some success.  It is amazing what Izoptope software can do.

1 hour ago, mathman said:

Yes, And I have spent considerable time or I mean wasted considerable time trying to improve the sound of older recordings. Actually, it’s been a hell of a lot of fun and some success.  It is amazing what Izoptope software can do.

I have grave expectations for revamping the existing stems. The recording was doomed from the start, given the small studio, the engineer's impatience, our small budget, and trying to isolate and record us. Bleed overs were ridiculous. Then there was the craptastic playing.

No, I think it's best to just re-do the whole song using today's tech and our enhanced skillz. My tone and solo back then were utterly horrific. 😬

Hey, hell yes, there are limits.  For me it is recreating spontaneous creativity. Which is why I try to improve what I have.  Also, it was the group creating it.  That means something to me.

Archived