Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Why own redundant stuff?

Why?  I have three Les Pauls and could easily own 3,000 more if I had the money.  At a level, I realize this is silly, but nonetheless, Hell, they even piss me off because of always worrying about this or that trick to keep the D and G strings from binding in the nut - clearly a bad design. And yet I'd be happy to have every Lester in existence just to have them.  I know I'm not even close to the only person here that thinks if one is cool, two is cooler, and 20 is even cooler.  But I do wonder what drives that impulse. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an urge to get 2 of every type of guitar I really like, so that if one gets sidelined, I will have another.  2 Hamer Studios. 2 Hamers with P90s, etc.

Also, different neck carves, different pickups etc can really make them quite a bit different.

I mean, I have a Rivera R55-12, and a Rivera Pubster 25, and I just ordered a Rivera Stage IV, which is pretty much a combination of the two. I don't plan on selling any of them.

My GAS has different symptoms.  I can't see owning 2 D-18s, but I do own a D-18 and a J-45, both sitka spruce tops, mahogany back and sides dreads, and yet different enough I can easily justify.  I've never seen the fascination in owning several essentially identical guitars, but that's the beauty/madness of the disease, it presents in so many different forms it is hard to pin down what drives it.  Ah GAS, we hardly know thee.

My high-water mark was nineteen, a number that just made me feel silly when I thought about it.  Even worse, a quarter of those were 90-92 Classics.  I'm currently at six LP styles with only two being legit Gibsons ('73 Deluxe and a P-90 BFG).  Another is a nice '59 Standard copy (Yaron), two are MIJ (Epi '57 all-hog Custom/'80 Aria Pro II P-90), and one is a cheapy Chibson Standard that's been passed around among a few members here.  The MIJ imports help scratch the numbers itch and provide a little variety without being such an investment.  The Chibson is just for fun.

The eleven strats though...I don't know what's happening there.

1 hour ago, LucSulla said:

Why?  I have three Les Pauls and could easily own 3,000 more if I had the money.  

I know I'm not even close to the only person here that thinks if one is cool, two is cooler, and 20 is even cooler.  But I do wonder what drives that impulse. 

For some, it's sort of the same thing as with firearms... It's not so much the actual piece, it's the ACQUISITION! 

17 minutes ago, DaveH said:

It's not so much the actual piece, it's the ACQUISITION! 

I've seen guys exhibit that same dynamic with GFs and wives...

Some years ago, I thought my nephew was over doin' it with 32 back then. But I myself am up to 9 at the moment, expecting delivery of another and thinkin' of a parts build now. The wife thinks it's that old "male menopause " creepin' up on me and that I only have two hands, so why keep that many. Yeah right, coming from someone who has 2 feet and 40 PAIRS OF SHOES !!  But, seriously, I MAY stop at 12, but then again, when I think about it, I don't have ANY with maple fretboards !!!   (Dag.... here we go)

I've got 4 delay pedals now, and will probably get more.

They all sound different,  but I have to admit it's overkill.

58 minutes ago, tweed said:

Some years ago, I thought my nephew was over doin' it with 32 back then. But I myself am up to 9 at the moment, expecting delivery of another and thinkin' of a parts build now. 

Hear me now and believe me later [quote]... STOP now! 😂

2 hours ago, LucSulla said:

Why?  I have three Les Pauls and could easily own 3,000 more if I had the money.  At a level, I realize this is silly, but nonetheless, Hell, they even piss me off because of always worrying about this or that trick to keep the D and G strings from binding in the nut - clearly a bad design. And yet I'd be happy to have every Lester in existence just to have them.  I know I'm not even close to the only person here that thinks if one is cool, two is cooler, and 20 is even cooler.  But I do wonder what drives that impulse. 

6 amps

6 cabs

12 guitars 

It's all about symmetry,,, B)

I am weird on redundancy. I cannot have it with my gear. If I have multiple humbucker guitars, they must all sound significantly different or they gotta go... I mean a hollow body with p90 types sounds way different than a slab hog with p90s. This is actually good for me and keeps me from getting crazy. Amps too.....I don’t want redundancy. I’d rather buy a different amp than have two that sound alike.

Pedals are harder. I have a bunch of OD pedals, but some sound great with buckers and some with singles....once 0117 arrives, I’ll sort out those that sound good with that guitar and the rest...the leftovers will be sold. Heck, I have a VERY rare and high end Shannon Phaser that is gonna be gone soon cause I also have a MXR Phase 95 that does phase for me just fine. The older I get the less redundancy in guitar gear I want. 

40 minutes ago, LordsoftheJungle said:

6 amps

6 cabs

12 guitars 

It's all about symmetry,,, B)

Hey yeah, let's not forget the amps and cabs !  Speakers even, Alnico, ceramics !  Tube amp types, EL-34's, 84's, 6L6's, solid state. I'll bet we got 'em all too !!    

For me redundant/duplicate stuff was about gigging - my #1s always have something very similar lurking on the sidelines that if it had to, it could carry the night - whether it be guitars, amps or pedals. Take all of the #1s out of the lineup and you could still do the night, and no one but you would notice. Losing the 'crutch' pieces (my LP is my security blanket) would suck, though.

I don’t understand anything in this thread.

15 guitars.... only 6 are Hamers. one more on the horizon that I might be getting back... a Hamer Special I gave to a friend 10 years ago (long story)

EDIT: crap... I forgot about 3 Godins I have, so 18 guitars

but only 6 amps though

I have parts for one more guitar build and 2 more amps. not counting those

I used to collect Specials/Sunbursts and PT Schecters.
It was fun, but it was more for gluttony than a purpose.

image.png

(Somebody snuck a Prototype in there).

image.png

10 hours ago, hamerhead said:

For me redundant/duplicate stuff was about gigging - my #1s always have something very similar lurking on the sidelines that if it had to, it could carry the night - whether it be guitars, amps or pedals. Take all of the #1s out of the lineup and you could still do the night, and no one but you would notice. Losing the 'crutch' pieces (my LP is my security blanket) would suck, though.

I told myself (and the wife) that lie as well. ;)  And you're right- no one would notice and no one would care, especially at the lousy joints I played. Initially I was always stoked to pick out the axes for a night's show, thinking folks would appreciate the graphic or color I had selected and the suitability of the specs for the songs they were brought out for.

giphy.gif

I've got 10 PRSi, with 2 Pre-Standards from 1986 (all mahogany construction), 5 Customs of various vintages, a Singlecut, Private Stock Santana, and a 594 Semi-Hollow.  Custom's are my faves and the best sounding ones are probably the Pre-Standards.  For some reason those early T & B pickups just kill in solid mahogany bodies...  If I need to grab 1 for a gig it's usually my 2005 20th Anniversary Custom, as I love the 59/09 Pickups PRS put in it for me back in 2009:

2005 PRS Custom 24 Anniversary 5909 PUs Full.jpg

Archived