Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Why own redundant stuff?

30 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

.....I told myself (and the wife) that lie as well....

It's true - if something would crap out mid-gig I'd be in full panic mode. Not now. I have every base covered. At least once. B)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I faced up to reality (and advancing age or something) 3-4 years ago. Did a count and stopped deluding myself. The number (guitars and basses) had slipped into 3 digits by a fair margin. Lots of duplication, justified by each being "a bit different" or "irreplaceable". And with "the band" now being 3 years in the rear view mirror......

While my wandering eye continued, I decide a 3 out for each one in would be a good guide.....The numbers are way down, though still above what they should be. Feeling a bit better about it. But, as always, reducing head count by another "8 or 10" would be a good thing. But I still have several with one or more "dibs" that I cannot bring myself to cut loose.

Also on the positive side, a large portion of them went to folks here.

2 hours ago, hamerhead said:

It's true - if something would crap out mid-gig I'd be in full panic mode. Not now. I have every base covered. At least once. B)

Agreed... to a degree: I played a gig with my band out in Seattle and busted a string on my (at that time) one and only axe- the Floyded '76 Strat- and had to borrow the co-guitarists' back up axe-  a hard tail Les Paul. It was never to be repeated.

But having 8 of essentially the same guitar ( various p'ups  and control options, to be fair) goes far beyond covering the possibility of replacing a guitar mid gig. :P

3 hours ago, murkat said:

Properly cut 6/6 nylon nut will cure that.

I'll put that on my "Shit that Jason Needs to Do but Doesn't Because He's Also Afraid of Fucking it Up and so Stays in a General State of Neurosis" list.

It can go just behind the clutch return spring hack I need to do to the corvette. 

1 hour ago, LucSulla said:

I'll put that on my "Shit that Jason Needs to Do but Doesn't Because He's Also Afraid of Fucking it Up and so Stays in a General State of Neurosis" list.

It can go just behind the clutch return spring hack I need to do to the corvette. 

I would like to declare my membership in the "it's hiding in a case because I'm too lazy to fix it" club.

On two occasions, I have gone selling binges to fund an expensive jazz guitar that I really wanted using my Reverb store, A.V.'s Gear Outlet.  Most of the time, however, I feel like changing the name of the store to A.V.'s Gear Inlet.

2 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

I would like to declare my membership in the "it's hiding in a case because I'm too lazy to fix it" club.

The Kiz’ Senior has needed the scratchy neck volume knob replaced since before I bought it. Could have something to do with the one meeelion different pickups it’s had in it!  I just keep playing it. 

On 3/7/2021 at 12:52 PM, LucSulla said:

Jason.jpg

To quote Roger Miller's song King Of The Road: "I'm a man of means by no means." ;)  I got rid of a lot of 'redundant' gear during The Great Recession, stuff that was for the most part just collecting dust and otherwise just not serving any real use, and I don't ever want to go down that road again.  Most of the few guitars I have now are Teles or Tele-style Partscasters (all are different pickup-wise from each other for variety's sake), plus a couple of Godins and a AXE LP Junior-style guitar for my 'Gibson-scale electric guitar' needs.  All were bought used, not new...I'm frugal that way.  I like 'em all, I play most of 'em on at least a monthly basis if not weekly, and above all else I've bonded with 'em, so I'm happy with what i've got.   I don't really do the 'collecting' thing for much of anything anymore, I'm now much more into using and enjoying what I've already got.  I rarely use pedals so I don't have many of those...and none of those are boo-teek anyway.  Amp-wise, I only have two VHT 18-watt Standard heads (one is a spare in case the other one blows up, though it hasn't yet :rolleyes:), a Mojotone 18-watt Marshall head build, and two VHT 'Special 6' heads (again, one as a 'spare').  I do rotate my amps for use and maintenance purposes, and they're all tube-driven.  For home and local use, this'll pretty much do it for me, for the time being.  B)

No true duplicates in the Menehune Hut. Some duplicate guitar body shapes, but all different neck carves and pickups. More so with amps - no duplicates, and each chosen for uniqueness in tones it can deliver.

I do have a duplicate stompbox, either an Ibanez AD-9 or a CS-9 from the 80s - I can't recall which right now - but its mate needs repair.

9 hours ago, Menehune said:

No true duplicates in the Menehune Hut. Some duplicate guitar body shapes, but all different neck carves and pickups. More so with amps - no duplicates, and each chosen for uniqueness in tones it can deliver.

SourWeightyAmericankestrel-size_restrict

I went to see a friend play a Simon and Garfunkel gig... he played a 6 string acoustic, a 6 string acoustic with chorus on, a 12 string acoustic, an electric 6 string, an electric 6 with chorus on and an electric 12 string... and even knowing they were different, heck I could see them... there wasn't any significant difference. The only person who cared, was him.

2 hours ago, Armitage said:

I went to see a friend play a Simon and Garfunkel gig... he played a 6 string acoustic, a 6 string acoustic with chorus on, a 12 string acoustic, an electric 6 string, an electric 6 with chorus on and an electric 12 string... and even knowing they were different, heck I could see them... there wasn't any significant difference. The only person who cared, was him.

On 3/8/2021 at 3:24 PM, Biz Prof said:

Jason.jpg

I wish I had this to put on my bookshelf at school.

Side note, I am actually the head of my program starting in July, so I should have actually had this heart attack I managed to duck by this time next year (I so hope that is a joke). 

I sold off a bunch of gear when I got divorced and moved into a small apartment. Now that I'm into a decent sized house and done with my, um, divorce obligations, I have room for more gear. But a weird thing happened. When I downsized to the apartment, I found having less junk to be kind of freeing. I kinda like having a big, uncluttered space. So, weirdly, no new guitars or amps have come to the new house. And I'm finding I can more than make do with what I have. 

Go figure.

20 minutes ago, jwhitcomb3 said:

I sold off a bunch of gear when I got divorced and moved into a small apartment. Now that I'm into a decent sized house and done with my, um, divorce obligations, I have room for more gear. But a weird thing happened. When I downsized to the apartment, I found having less junk to be kind of freeing. I kinda like having a big, uncluttered space. So, weirdly, no new guitars or amps have come to the new house. And I'm finding I can more than make do with what I have. 

Go figure.

Can the mods please address this obvious heresy?

I just got Covid Boredom. No effect on my income but working at home and no travel, so I bought some guitars. It's just a thing to do, to add some excitement now and then, I guess. I never DUPLICATE apart from both my amps being Tweeds because if I ever gig again I want a backup that sounds roughly the same.

Archived