Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Got to own a full stack once in your life

I guess that Rivera combo won't come my way (other thread). But I scored a 4x12 straight 1990's cab with Greenbacks for 450$ a month ago. You got to own a full stack once in your life. Better late than never. 

It sounds like a freight train jumping on your chest with the fuzz pedal engaged. So much fun. :-= 

y4mQJVCmJaPHPe9YHyJZwr6fjGwFq5mSr8x-RApP

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I nearly obliterated my hearing using a 50-watt half stack for three solid years of gigging.  It was great.  A full stack...uhhh....huh? Say what?

48 minutes ago, JGravelin said:

That. Is. Awesome!

What Josh said. I'm chartreuse with envy.

ETA - ...or is it British Racing Green? Either way. That f***ing rocks.

At one point in life when I was touring a lot playing 30k+ outdoor sheds and huge f'ing shows, I had a bass stack: 8x10" and and 8x8" cab, stacked horizontally, 1200w Genz Benz GBE 1200 powering the whole rig. Moving that kind of air when you can get away with it is truly something special!

To phrase this in youth speak circa 2018, this post got me so in my feelz that I would buy two 4x12s today if I saw them at a good price, lol.  Thankfully, that isn't too likely to happen. 

I mean, I do like two of everything. 

23 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Two heads on two cabinets is better than one head with two cabinets. 

"'Cos it's...one...louder."
spacer.png

4 hours ago, Disturber said:

But I scored a 4x12 straight 1990's cab with Greenbacks for 450$ a month ago. You got to own a full stack once in your life. Better late than never. 

It sounds like a freight train jumping on your chest with the fuzz pedal engaged. So much fun. :-= 

Do two half stacks being driven thru a stereo chorus count? Talk about moving some air! Believe me, the goose bumps will come. Oh yes, they will come.

Screaming deal on that cab too!

22 minutes ago, DaveH said:

Do two half stacks being driven thru a stereo chorus count? Talk about moving some air! Believe me, the goose bumps will come. Oh yes, they will come.

I concur.  These days I'd probably run a stereo image into them and bask in the width.  🤘

43 minutes ago, scottcald said:

Every time I see that Spinal Tap picture, that whole dialog runs through my brain and I laugh out loud!

We all do. 

4 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

I nearly obliterated my hearing using a 50-watt half stack for three solid years of gigging.  It was great.  A full stack...uhhh....huh? Say what?

Ditto over here.  I'm forever consigned to trying to answer the phone when it's not ringing.  And the current scourge has made lip-reading quite a trick.

I had a Peavey Mace that sat on a Mesa 4/12. Not quite a double stack but so loud standing in front of them it was like a guitar heaven aura, every nuance of the guitar was alive!! 

Lynard Skynard fun stuff!!

9 hours ago, Disturber said:

I guess that Rivera combo won't come my way (other thread). But I scored a 4x12 straight 1990's cab with Greenbacks for 450$ a month ago. You got to own a full stack once in your life. Better late than never. 

y4mQJVCmJaPHPe9YHyJZwr6fjGwFq5mSr8x-RApP

I keep telling myself that I have no need for a full stack and that the half stack I use maybe once a year is more than enough. And then I keep coming back to this thread and staring at your picture...  🤤🤤🤤

4 hours ago, Travis said:

I keep telling myself that I have no need for a full stack and that the half stack I use maybe once a year is more than enough. And then I keep coming back to this thread and staring at your picture...  🤤🤤🤤

The other guitarist in the band has a Super Lead full stack. He's been on me for years to get a 2nd cab. First I had the smaler 3x2 cab on the right. Semi open back. Light weight. Sounds great. But I wanted a close back. So I ended up with the old 1974 4x12 slanted cab. I was pretty happy with this set up. But the other guys guitar sound was just fuller, it sounds like all those classic tones you love. I was close, but not the same bottom. So when this greenback straight cab came up for sale close to me I had to try it. And the sound is fuller with two cabs. Plus you get one cab straight in your face, not on the floor. This makes a big difference in how it sounds. Just HUGE. Love it 🙂

4 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

I like the combo on the floor. What is it?

That is a 1973 Marshall Artiste 2040 combo. I found it 15 years ago for 350, score of the year. Then I had it modified in to a JTM50 cirquit on the 2nd channel and a Bassman 6G6-B on channel one.  This removed the reverb, but no big loss. It has two old G12H-30s in it. One original and one 55 hz version that I think might be a replacement.

It's a great amp for club gigs. Sounds like a JTM45 with some extra oomph. I think it sounded better than a 90's reissue Bluesbreaker we had down in the rehersal place a while ago. Here is me playing it 11-12 years ago after I had done the mod.

These are great amps in their original state too. Not so Marshally. Not that much drive when dimed. But they sound sweet, warm and very cool.

Archived